Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Helping Storm Victims
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 03:09 PM

This just in from Wendy at Villa Delores Claire in Mulege-

"...Here are some more lists of things...tooth brushes and tooth paste....childrens clothes......it seems we have a supply of clothes for adults. Bedding, sweaters things warm, as we shall soon be getting cold. Night time is already down in temp...days are still sweaty.....Thanks again....."

I'm packing all donations in Space Bags & sucking out all the air. They weigh like bricks when done, but are durable, and see-trhough. Then I'm writing the contents on outside w/marker in case contents isn't obvious enough to the handler. Garbage bags are pretty flimsy, and likely to be overweight. The stuff we took in the plane Saturday was coming apart by the time the Bomberos were offloading from the truck. If not Space Bags or the equivalent, use plastic trash compactor bags available at Costco, etc. They are tough enough for this kind of bucket-brigade handling.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 03:46 PM

Yes, Larry, this is a real estate site, which parenthetically had the capacity to get material up and running, and information out quickly, (which services are being provided in their entirety without compensation as a public service to the community as longtime residents and philanthropic contributors.) Office space, telephone services, personnel, computers, I-T, meeting space and other services are being provided free of charge to the various government and agency and utility coordinators. No donations or govt money is being used for this activity.

In the aftermath of Hurricanes Marti & Ignacio in 2003 they provided the SAME service & were called upon to do so again by the Governor's office because of their proven performance in the past, in addition to being a major coordinator of donations from the US. & Canada, directed through established channels.

There is a separate link on the opening page for HURRICAN JOHN IN MULEGE that bypasses any commercial information.

Click it and it goes to the page created at the request of the BCS,& Municipal authorities.
http://www.bahiasdebaja.com/huracan/john.asp

The information uploaded are the offical reports from TelMex, CFE, SEP, SAPA & OTHER official agencies., which they supply daily to the site. The monitoring and supervision of the info is under the direct authority and scrutiny of representatives of the State of BCS, and other local officials including the Communications Director for this disaster, Guillermo Zuniga Rosas, appointed by Prof. Gajon de la Toba, Director of Proteccion Civil for BCS.

I think that about covers it, except that thanks to Shark for putting personal info on the forum. He neglected to mention Hugo & Josefina who are working 14 days contributing their time to the effort.

Hopefully everyone who is making a contribution of time or money or collecting donations or can be as effective as this group has been over several Mulege crises.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJAmerican
The monitoring and supervision of the info is under the direct authority and scrutiny of representatives of the State of BCS, and other local officials including the Communications Director for this disaster, Guillermo Zuniga Rosas, appointed by Prof. Gajon de la Toba, Director of Proteccion Civil for BCS.
And how may this information please be confirmed?

Just as you mentioned, we want to prevent misinformation, and your "Newbie" status leaves a credibility issue that needs to be overcome in this particular situation.

(Your unprofessional "tit-for-tat" maneuver there [removed] didn't help with credibility either there by-the-way)

Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Regards,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:34 PM

Doug & Larry
You or anyone else may confirm it with the persons mentioned in the quote. I hope you and Larry appreciate I responded factually to your extremely legitimate questions.

The internet is not a private conversation, however, between people who know each other. Newbie/veteran status on this forum is but one measure of credibility. I am personally unacquainted with any of the posters, to my knowledge. Just passing on info in which I am confident.... professionally... verified by the sources mentioned, since I am not a source, only A conduit, one of many to be sure, hopefully contributory to solutions.

I don't have a problem with scrutiny or verification of what I post. Scrutiny and credibilty standards should be equally applied, though. The secondary posts to which I reacted in kind, were unworthy of the crisis , or this forum. Thanks again for removing them both.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJAmerican

I don't have a problem with scrutiny or verification of what I post. Scrutiny and credibilty standards should be equally applied, though. The secondary posts to which I reacted in kind, were unworthy of the crisis , or this forum. Thanks again for removing them both.

Likewise for me. I should have just questioned the lack of visible "endorsement" of the Govt of Mex of the material on the website, I was not questioning it's actual authenticity and factual content.
Thanks Doug for the corrections to this meaningful thread. Corky

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 06:37 AM

Be vary careful who you send your money too there is some fraud going on right now in Mulege I don't know or cant say who are the bad ones but I can say That if you gave your Money to ether Sharks Relief Fund or Cobo Magic that more than 100% of your money is going to get to the people that need it. I'm sure there are others that are good but these 2 I can personally Guarantee

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 01:28 PM

Revised Address to Register as a person/family affected by the flood:

Americans & others with losses need to make a formal statement to authorities.(in Spanish- translation is avail) to qualify for subsequent assistance.

Can be very simple:
"I am_ . I own the prop at __________. (bring proof if avail)
I lost the house & THESE POSSESSIONS:___________________________
The local official Agent is Lic.Maria Isela Nunez Marquez
location is now at Ministerio Publico on the Main St across from Pemex Station in town. You will get a stamped certificate REGISTERING that you were here and lost property. This will be the only “proof” that will be considered in the future for any future relief emanating from Fed Gov in Mx City.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 06:57 PM

Thanks BajaAmerican and to all of those who are Helping the People of Baja, Mexicano and Americano, Canadian and others.

My Prayers are with you All!

Hang in There and stay on High Ground, there will be Rain in the Mountains even if this next one veers to the NorthEast.

Skeet/Loreto
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 09:38 PM
Smart and Final

Here is my thank you letter to Smart and Final. Stuff is on the way.:bounce:

I just returned from Smart and Final where I was able to purchase a large amount of food and supplies with the cash cards you sent me. Thanks so much for your generous donation. That was very kind of you and Smart and Final. I bought bleach, dust masks, plastic gloves, forks, cups, paper plates, powered drink mixes, beans, flour, salt, sugar, lard, garlic powder, napkins, anti-bacterial hand soap, and some pens and pencils. These things will be going to Baja, probably Mulege, with a volunteer driver asap. I and the people of Baja thank you. Love, April
:bounce:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 10:19 PM
A true friend

of the people of Mulege you are. Good on you April!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 08:06 PM

Has anyone in Mulege had any problems with your insurance companies not compensating you for your loss? A friend of mine there has been having problems with his and was even declined with the auto insurance.

If you have experienced any insurance problems please u2u me and I may be able to direct you.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 03:44 AM

My Prayers are to all of the Old, New, and wantbe Nomads who have done so Much for the People of Baja Sur in there time of Need.
Just goes to show
what People can do when "People are in Need".

Does anyone have the Latest Airlines and Schedules in and out of Loreto from LAX?????

Would Appreciate the info, seems as if AeroMexico is changing their Flights after Oct. 2, and AeroCalifornia flying out of TJ only/

Remember if you are flying to take an extra Suitcase full of Clothes are needed Items.

God Bless You ALL.

Skeet/Loreto
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:42 AM
reaction

You made me cry, Sharks. Thanks for acknowledging. I don't know what it is, but Mulege is my favorite place I've never been. I promise to release any sharks I catch in the future. Love.
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 08:23 PM

Just back from Mulege w/USDA steak & salad properly consumed.

Delivered books and indicidual school supplies to the Social Workers at the Internado and Secundaria for delivery to the affected parties (Secundaria wasn't hit but Letty Cota will deliver all to familes that were washed out by the flood).
Martin @ the Internado and his wife were overjoyed for the contributions to their now nascent library, and made up packets of the small kids clothes for the rancho families, which their students will deliver this weekend when they get home. You should have seen the reaction to the small stuffed animals that are going to the Jardin de Ninos at the Internado!!!

A million thanks to all who sent sruff for us to deliver-
April Johnson of Escondido, CA for clothing, stuff donated by Smart & Final, cleanup supplies, etc.
Randall of Smart & Final, Escondido area
Giles of San Diego for school office supplies (greatly appreciated BTW cuz nobody else had thought of that), etc.
David & Singh of Couer d'Alene, Idaho for kid's school school supplies, clothing, and those impossibly cute stuffed toys
Carol McLaughlin, Tucson, AZ for books, books, more books & a globe

Whadalotta driving, so I'm going to take a siesta for a day.5

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 09:13 AM
and EngineerMike

I'd like to add..... who did all of the advocacy, heavy lifting, and rabbelrousing (sp?) that enabled others to pitch in and help, and those in need to receive the help!

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 01:24 PM
EngineerMike

I'm still on line for any organized volunteer carpentry help, especially at schools. How does the need stand at present?

Late November time frame.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 09:45 AM

Vag- Just woke up, thanks for the reminder.

We didn't have time to get with city hall officials to try and organize a needs list. They were busy w/lines of folks attempting to collect assistance. We'll have to do that by other means that I'll initiate today. The schools are OK in that respect- military did the initial cleaning and the buildings are concrete block up to the water line and above for a ways.

The Internado had 4-post wood framed bunk beds. After military scrubbing, an inspector from LaPaz came & did a sniff test. Voila! New steel bunk beds & all new mattresses. The government response has been fantastic and continues to be (at least by Baja standards, but I'm not joking here- Guvmint reaallly stepped up). The 100 meter hole in the river road by Jorge's got filled while I was in town & that is now a dirt road stretch; hopefully paving will follow soon.

At any rate, projects at schools and w/individual families will no doubt be needed & appreciated, and I'll continue trying to figure out how to help organize that. My hope is to have a list whereby someone can commit before heading down to a piece of work, leave w/the tools & stuff necessary, hook up w/others if req'd or helpful, and then check off that work item when complete or render a status report so the next volunteer can pick up the ball. This may take a while, but these folks have been handed at least a 5 year setback financially, so any help will be much desired.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 12:02 PM
THANKS MIKE

The library project also sounds "appealing".

You sir, deserve a medal. This is the best I can do at present.

medal.gif - 20kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.