BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 'Crocodile Hunter' killed by Stingray.
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 08:13 AM
'Crocodile Hunter' killed by Stingray.

Well, Steve Irwin finally killed himself messing with wild animals. This is a tragic reminder to be VERY carefull when wading or swimming in shallow water. I nearly turned myself inside out near Los Frales when my toes 'goosed' a buried Stingray. Had I not been doing the 'Stingray shuffle' I would have been stabbed for sure. Alone, miles from anyone I would have been in a serious fix. I am amazed that such a famous character only recieved a 3 inch blurb burried deep in the O.C. Register, while trucked in snow to Huntington Beach for snowboarding filled half the front page. Jeez.
Happy Labor day everybody...
Hugs, M
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 08:54 AM

This story DOES make you think how important the stingray shuffle is when wading through the waters in Baja.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/04/australia.irwin/ind...

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:22 AM

the barb went thru his heart...ouch

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:24 AM

The poison barb pierced his heart as the ray wipped its tail while Steve (44)was swimming over it filming a new documentary... Steve leaves behind his wife Terri (from Eugene, Oregon) a 8 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

Very sad day for Australia and the world! His lack of fear for dangerous critters was exciting to watch... Far too young to die.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:13 AM

God speed mate... he left a great impression and awareness on untold numbers of folks regarding observing and conserving natures animal resources. However ironic his death may seem since there has only been 17 deaths worldwide and only 2 in Australia (according to Austrailian TV reporter on Today show today) I thought he woulda gotten munched in a billabong by a 14' foota. Good luck and prayers for Terri and kids.
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:12 PM

I loved that Guy! His love for life was so contagious! He will be missed my millions for sure. A sad day in many ways. :no:

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:29 PM

Too weird. I've been predicting for some time now we would read his obit. I always thought he was too reckless, though I liked his show. I live with a wildlife biologist so the show was always on. She never did like my prediction and was shocked when we saw the news. Sucks for his wife and kids.
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 01:10 PM
I'm so sorry...

for his wife and 2 young children. I missed the news yesterday so I was very sad to read this info out of the blue. Being his wife must have been a tough job, especially since she was drafted to be sometimes an unwilling participant. I'll never forget the episode where they went to a 'venom farm', and she had creepy crawlies placed on her body. Nothing like a hissing c-ckroach crawling up your arm to add that 'fear factor' element to the show. YUCK!
M
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:01 PM
A good man

Quote:
Originally posted by M
Well, Steve Irwin finally killed himself messing with wild animals.

Gee M, he was a good guy. A freaky job related accident for sure but many folks have dangerous work. He didn't kill himself. I have swum with animals I shouldn't have also.
Just like building in a flood plain. There is an associated risk involved in living.
His enthusiasm will be missed by many. RIP

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:11 PM
He added to my life...

I will often encounter something distinctly not pretty and un-cuddly and say: (As best I can mimic) "Isn't 'e GOOOORGEOUS." He crammed a lot of life into 44 years.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:40 PM

I'd bet He's at the gates of heaven right now arguing to wear his khaki safari suit in...

All of Australia, and much of the world lost a good mate...RIP
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:35 PM

Sorry Sharks, Once more a computer monitor failed to convey the emotion of my intended message.
I have much respect and admiration for anybody that lived so well and so hard, in an outrageously, humble and flamboyant sort of way.
BHL and I got sick of the reptiles and crocodiles before we ever got over him. We always said he's going to manage to kill himself one of these days, and sure enough, he did. Strictly tongue in cheek, and obviously out of line.
The animal kingdom has lost a tremendous friend and sponsor. The human race has lost a real gem. I can't begin to imagine the depth of grief his widow and partners must be feeling at this minute.
No desrespect intended.
M
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 9-4-2006 at 07:05 PM
Crikey!

Quote:
Originally posted by M
Well, Steve Irwin finally killed himself messing with wild animals.

Always reminded me of a little kid poking a dog with a stick. I guess the dog finally got peeed.

I expect South Park will do a memorial show. Can't wait. ;D

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 08:34 PM

It will be interesting to see if one of his children follow in his footsteps on down the road. My hunch is that at least one of them will make an attempt to follow. It's in their genes.

Thanks Steve for all the memories.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:42 AM

I CAN STILL REMEMBER...

One of the first shows of his I ever saw. The show was about the World's Deadliest Snakes. Steve was laying on the ground with his chin right in front of the DEADLIEST snakes burrow. The snake crawled out of the hole and crawled up to him and smelled and flicked him, and then proceeded to crawl over and around him. I thought he was the craziest guy I had ever seen. And yet, I was fascinated by him and felt he was amazingly brave.

I always enjoyed his programs. But more importantly, I had a very deep respect for him and his love and respect for God's wild creatures. He was a respected member of the Zoological community and a friend to all who believed in saving and conserving the wild creatures of the world. He will be missed by his family and all who knew him.

Rest in Peace Mate!

Amo
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:44 AM
A Matter of Taste

I never could see the attraction to his TV series. I've probably seen no more than an hour or so (in pieces) of his croc and snake games, never staying until the end of the show. However, I have a friend who enjoys many of the same things I do and he was (is) addicted to the show.

That doesn't diminish his reckless courage. He certainly showed a zest for dangerous living. Like many others have said, I expected to read any day that he'd been caught and killed by one of those crocs. It's ironic that he met death doing something relatively mundane that all of us have may have done at one time or another. But then, I think most of us have engaged in many reckless or commonplace activities and come away unscathed over the years only to read about someone else who died doing the same thing.

At least he died quickly doing what he loved best.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 11:07 AM
A matter of age

My kids loved the crocodile hunter. Animal Planet is THEIR channel at our house and they were glued to the set when he came on. My oldest knows more about snakes and reptiles than I do and I have an education in biology. And they learned it all, as far as I can tell, from his show and George Corwin's, who wasn't nearly as interesting as the crocodile hunter.

There was a lot of showmanship in his program. Perhaps his exaggerations bothered some but I got used to it (I had to). I think of him as an enterntainer for children and judged him at that level. Just like that Steve character that did Blues Clues that 2-4 year olds like so much.

Circuses are not my thing. Nor is false courage, nor bravado. But there was something very endearing about the man. I think it was his sincerity. And he brought a lot of attention to the animal world to the public and that was a good thing.

It was an absurd way to die. He died when he wasn't aware of the danger and was unprepared for it when it came. That's how it often is for stunt people. Too bad, really. My kids will really miss him ... and so will I.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:43 PM
Age ?

Until two weeks ago, I would have assumed the same thing. At that time, I was up at a mountain campground swimming in the pool, surrounded by others in my age group floating in their foam "noodles" and all that they were discussing were their favorite "Reality" TV shows such as "Survivor", "American Idol", etc. The discussion led me to believe they watched every episode. Up until then, I had assumed that the only market for those shows was among the Teens to 30s crowd. My buddy who is addicted to the Croc series among others of that type is only 4 years younger than I am.

"It only goes to show you never can tell."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.