Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Ventana??
BajaBros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 05:18 PM
La Ventana??

Any word on how hard the La Ventana area was hit? Many thanks.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 05:25 PM
Got this from a buddy of mine that has a house there

We are still in Hood River, but are planning to head south on the 15th. La Ventana took a direct hit from John with much damage, especially along the beach. Since we are two blocks from the beach our house survived very well with steel covers on the windows and doors. We are anxious to get there and help in the clean up.:(
BajaBros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 05:42 PM

Last I heard, there is much road damage, the beach area is almost denuded of large trees, all of the homes east of the road near town received heavy damage, most houses west of the road received only minor damage. Utilities are down with some water lines exposed and broken, many areas impassible.

El Ricon Restaurant was hit hard. I heard that the whole rear seating area is tilted or gone !?

Town is drying out but repairs will take more than a few weeks...
Many of the local restaurants and older houses were damaged.

Not too bad in the campground as there wasn't much to destroy.
They have a lot of clean-up to do and sand in the old north bathroom.
Hopefully some trees remain.

I'm waiting to hear how the houses north of the campground on the bluff survived; or didn't. Lot's of water came out of those hills !!
DaGreen
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:13 PM

La Ventana El Sargento Update

Thought I would pass this along. I received this from friends in La Ventana/El Sargento area. Our friends are Joe and Angie Cheek of Baja Joe's Baja Joe's

Angie and I took a long quad runner ride yesterday. We tried to check on as many homes as possible. Unfortunately, between the impassable roads, and the locked gates, we couldn?t get to many. We have posted additional photos at Click for Hurricane John Photos . Please pass this on to others in our community.

The hurricane reached Category 4 winds of 115 knots at its peak, but had subsided to around a Category 3 of +/-100 knots by the time it landed here. Supposedly, it tracked right between the island and here. The homes and property all seemed to hold up well. Most all structures appear intact
The properties on the east side of the highway took it the hardest. The plants and trees on the beach side homes got decimated. If your home is on the east side of the highway and lacks window protection, then there is a good chance that you have some broken windows.

Palapa roofs usually have a little damage, tile roofs as well. Tin roofs often failed. Water and sand made it into almost every home. Sand got forced through the smallest cracks and around the window frames. If you know someone who can air out your home, it would be a good thing.

Unfortunately, Angie and Joe are not available to assist with repairs, as they have extensive damage and cleanup to get their hotel back together.

The real problems are with the infrastructure. All the restaurants seemed to have been hit really hard. The roads have washed out along with tons of soil that they once sat on.

More power and phone lines are down than are up.
The water pipes are exposed, broken and completely washed away in sections. Most of the road past El Sargento is passable only with a 4x4 as the arroyos washed through the road and left soft sand. The Hot Springs road is completely gone. I could not even navigate it on the quad.

As we drove through the street on the quads Sunday, all the people were already busy with the cleanup. People were helping each other, and most are smiling ? even the ones
with extensive damage. The people of La Ventana and El Sargento are wonderful. The communities are supportive and resilient. But you know that, that is why we all live here?

Hasta Luego
Brian

La Ventana El Sargento Hurricane John Pics

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.