Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mulege Schools Needs
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 08:58 AM

Great update Mike! Thanks. That will fit in with our Interact Project and we'll keep in touch. My wife is meeting with WallMart PR director this weekend to get some purchase info and what you've provided will help a bunch.

kevin

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 01:35 PM

Carol reports purchasing two sets of fresh encyclopedias in espanol, shipped to me for delivery to the schools. Thanks Carol !!!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 07:42 AM
Coming to you in CA.

Hey EMike,

Thanks for the good info. Oct. 6 departure works! We will be shipping (UPS) you two well packed boxes of supplies for students (from #2 on your list).

Thanks for coordinating and delivering.

I'll ship at the local UPS this afternoon to your CA address.

Best.
David and Shing
djh

BTW, I'll try to meet the Dirctor at the Preparatoria in Loreto, Profe Luis Profe Peralta, next time I'm in Loreto. (likely Jan.)

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 09:25 AM

Thanks DJH. We'll get the stuff to the Social Workers for distribution.

Talked to Luis yesterday. He's his usual irrepressibly happy self. We have 24 kids on our Program in his school this year, and 4 college scholarships lined up for next year for seniors that will graduate this school year. And we have 6 really great candidates from the 9 seniors. Luis is feliz. mike

djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 07:33 AM
Make that 3....

EMike,

Make that 3 boxes.... :-).
I'll U2U UPS tracking numbers to you this afternoon from my office (where I left the info...)

Safe travels. Thanks for all you do !
David and Shing
djh

Peace, Love, and Music
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 11:25 AM

DJH- Mil gracias for the stuff. Should be here for our 10/6 departure.

I've gotten queries of whether 1-2 year old English as Second Language materials that are scheduled for discard/replacement by US school districts would be of use. I'll be checking w/the English teachers as to what they use and whether US ESL course materials could help. Great idea Jim Kruk.

bajabeachbabe
Nomad

Mood: Loving life

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 07:16 AM
Update on school needs?

The Spanish Club at Inglemoor High School is in the process of collecting supplies for the Mulege schools. The Spanish Teacher who leads the club has been in contact with the teachers in Mulege and has a list of what they needed. If someone could let me know what has already been collected to be delivered we can make the most of providing support and not duplicate.

Our family is heading to Loreto on Oct 12 and will bring the collected supplies, so the latest information on what is needed would be appreciated.
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 12:41 PM

I am going down on the 6th with 4 sets of Spanish encyclopedias, a coupla large dictionaries, globe, and boxes of individual kids supplies (pencils, erasers, notebooks, etc.).

The libraries can use at least 4 more large encyclopedias, 5 more dictionaries (spanish only, not spanish-english), any number of spanish-english dictionaries, and then kids books in Spanish (Narnia, Harry Potter, & whatever else kids are reading these days)

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 01:28 PM

Forgot to mention- many books en espanol are available on Amazon.com and Ebay for excellent prices. Two people have shipped me stuff for restocking the school libraries they bought that way.

David & Shing of Couer d'Alene, ID- your 3 boxes of kids school supplies came yesterday. WOW!! Thanks a million. That might just be enough crayons for everybody!!

Carol- I followed your lead & bought another set of the "Actual Mas Mexicana" encyclopedia off ebay. Should be here before the 6th. Thanks a million to you also.

If all goes well we'll hit the weight limit on our Toyota pickup.

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:54 PM

Carol-
The globe en espanol came today in perfect shape (poorly packed, but well taken care of in transit, so no problem).
One of the diccionarios I ordered off ebay is here also. Still waiting on about 5 more books, so whatever comes by Wed. p.m. will be leaving with us Thu. a.m.
A million thanks for everything to those contributing.

djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 07:38 AM
Thanks Mike,

Thanks for coordinating and delivering and everything else you do!

Safe travels. Grab a few photos of the smiles you receive (to post) if you can! That always encourages Nomads to pitch in and help :-).

David and Shing in CDA... and thinking about Baja !

Peace, Love, and Music
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 10:05 AM

Mike:

We'll be heading down almost exactly a month from now. I'm 100% open at this point as to what I can do. At least, I can have a full compliment of carpentry tools and about a week to apply to building whatever is needed. Otherwise, I have my 3/4 ton utility trailer available to haul anything that I can pick up along the way traveling the length of California Alta.

I'm semi-retired, and bux are always short. I would have to ask that anything that might require payment of duty be accompanied by the appropriate pesos.

What is the latest on documentation of one's intention to do relief work? A big load of power tools is hard to hide!

Please let me know what I can do. Thanks

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 04:18 PM

It would be great to get some organized repair party "needs list" going, so it could be attacked. I'll have a coupla days after we get the stuff we are taking passed out (and after we have passed out & reawakened). I'll see if I can get something started for the families that need help of a carpintero, painter, etc., and if it looks like something can be organized I'll post a new thread. According to my buddy Raphael, most of the houses are still there, but they are in beat up or worse shape, and folks are either living w/friends or toughing it out in their stinky place. Not my idea of healthy long term solutions in either case.

bajabeachbabe
Nomad

Mood: Loving life

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 06:31 PM

Mike,

I have ordered about 30 Spanish reading books (CS Lewis, RL Stine, Allende, etc) for the high school in Mulege, plus the Inglemoor Spanish Club is collecting notebooks, etc. for us to take with us to Loreto on Oct. 12. Could you U2U me and let me know how we might get together to deliver these while we are down there? I think I will have about three suitcases of supplies and books to deliver. :saint:

Thanks,
Linda
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.