Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rogue Wave takes another
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2003 at 04:13 PM
Rogue Wave takes another

I had been in Southern Mexico for the last few weeks and had not read any posts until today and was quite interested in the rogue wave posts. A friend of mine was on the beach at La Bufudora on Saturday 22, November and a wave came and took him out along with his friend. The friend was found alive by fishermen after treading water for 1 1/2 hours however my friend had died. My friend enjoyed the Ocean and went fishing quite often but I never knew he didnt know how to swim. Ill miss him as will everyone who knew him in Punta Banda.. Be careful out there everybody!

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-10-2003 at 05:08 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that LL. My condolences to you and the family.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2003 at 05:21 PM

Do you have more details? I find the story as told hard to believe. They were on the beach not in the water?

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2003 at 06:25 PM
rogue wave

Dave,
I dont know all the details but I did learn that the two were collecting small rocks and other items to display in a fish tank. I know that a wave to break all the way on the beach and take someone away is possible but this area in and around the Blow Hole is quite unpredictable when it comes to the surf. It wasnt long ago that a doctor from the military hospital in Ensenada was taken by a rogue wave in plain view of several people and they watched him drown. For some reason they couldnt help him. I dont know all the details on this one either.

BajaGuera
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 01:05 PM

I heard around the (Rancho La Bufadora) neighborhood, that the gentlemen were on the rocks/reef area to south end of the bay where there usually is wave action. Having fished off the rocks around that little point I can attest to the capriousness of the waves.
Several people tried to get their boats in the water to rescue them - but the wave action at the boat ramp was fierce. One of the men was rescued by a kayaker.
westy
Junior Nomad

Mood: some people call me the Space Cowboy

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 12:04 PM

When I was a kid growing up in La Buf., in the early seventies, I remember a few stories about people being carried out by 'rogue waves' along that beach. I remember one inparticular, because we were there, about an experienced diver just coming out of the water in front of his buddies and all to see. Found the body a few days later about a qtr mile out, by the 'Tres Piedras'. (we weren't AT the beach but the colony was so small back then, word got around quick!)
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 03:12 PM
La Bufadora area

Carol and I watched a Mexican guy fall off the rock in the bay at Kennedies just south of there. He fell about 20 feet and landed on rocks. They had to get a boat out through the currents to retrieve him still alive but barely able to stand.
That can be a very dangerous area whether it's waves, rocks or inexperience in the wilds.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 11:04 AM
The facts.

The accident did happen. These are the details taken directly from a message posted by Ray's wife on the local msg. board. He was a great man, and truly missed in this community.

"He was with friends somewhere near LaBufadora, on Toscanos land, I understand looking for sea anemones for Jim's fish tank. There was another couple with them.

Jim told me that he and Ray have sometimes done things that were on the edge but this time where they were was perfectly safe. On the shore in the rocks. Water about ankle deep. The other couple went one way (a little higher up) and Jim and Ray were down on the beach. A rogue wave washed over them. No one saw it coming and it took Jim by surprise. Jim told me he sank twice and came back up but never did see Ray anywhere. Saw people on shore and hoped Ray was among them. The undertow was so horrific Jim tried desperately to stay afloat. I understand he was in the water about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs before he was rescued. Jim said he didn't think he had 2 more minutes in him. So Thank God he was spared!!

Ray was found floating among the kelp.

I got to view him yesterday before the cremation and he had a gash and bruising on his forehead. His nose looked unnatural and I think it might have been broken. Although the autopsy said cause of death was drowning, we all like to believe he was knocked unconscious and then drowned..."
hyme7of9
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 10:06 AM
Rogue Waves

Rogue waves are rare.Waves come in intervals of sets.Sometimes these sets can be 30 minutes apart.Usually it's 5 to 10 minutes apart.Each set usually has the same number of waves in it.A change in tide can also makes waves break in a spot that 10 minutes earlier had no waves.We have had big waves very early in the season this year. If the beach is steep don't go close to the waterline.Even a two foot wave can knock you down and drag you into water that's over your head in a few seconds.If you bump your head on a rock you might be in trouble.I can't share 39 years of knowledge and experence here in a short post but I believe most of these accidents are avoidable if we take the time to observe the water for about fifteen minutes before we approach it .Know if the tide is comming in or going out. Also judge the swell size and where it is breaking.Look for rip tides. Surfers ride 15 foot waves routinely without misshap.They can do this because of knowledge ,experence and athleticism.A loss like this is very sad.Adios.Hyme

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.