Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FIX OR REPAIR DAILY.....NOT
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 9-16-2006 at 05:18 PM
FIX OR REPAIR DAILY.....NOT

This morning we went to Ranchito Arroyo for our walk. I thought that we had gone a little too far in but, of course, kept my mouth shut. After a nice walk, although the wind from the water was hot and humid, we jumped in the cab and started off. Just as I said, there is mud under this sand, we bogged down. My husband gets out and turns the lugs to lock and we start rocking the truck out. We are doing pretty good until all of a sudden we had no clutch. We tried every combination of gears and nothing worked.
Off my husband went to walk into La Playa hoping for a ride to our house. He found one and was home in 20 minutes. Called the ins company, they said that the grua(tow truck) would be there in 40 minutes. And sure enough they were. He jumps in the biggest tow truck they have, because of the size of our camper, with Samuel and they head for me, the dogs and the truck.
When they arrive Sam looks at what is between us and where he parked and says that the grua will not make it over the sand and will get stuck too. He asks what is wrong, crawls under the truck, finds a pin that has slipped, starts the truck and drives it out of the arroyo to where his grua is parked. We all let out a yee ha, smiles all around. We ask him to follow us, in case the clutch slips again to which he agrees. We go around him but when we look back, we see that he is now stuck. He gets out his tow chain, attaches it to the FORD and we pull the biggest grua that Gustavo has out to safety.
The 86 Ford is now called "The Beast" and rightfully so

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 05:40 PM

Judy Judy Judy...Clutches do not rise from the dead.
There is no magic pin. Something is off about this story.
I only mean good and want to help.
1) if the clutch is good, maybe (stretch) it super heated and glazed over. When cool maybe will pull out of sand.
2) normally burnt clutches would not pull tow trucks that are stuck.
3) This is a real puzzle, because nothing you said indicates a clutch. Can you find out more about This PIN???
4) If I am wrong go straight to the garage and get a new clutch and pressure plate.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 05:42 PM

Sounds like it could be a linkage problem?????
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Sounds like it could be a linkage problem?????

You cannot bend clutch linkage, unless you race stock cars or destruction derby cars. Also if you understood mechanical linkage, they do not heel themselves. That brings me to maybe a real answer.
Does she have Hydrological linkage?? If so, like brakes, you can get air in them.
What about the pin??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 05:59 PM

The answer!! Thanks Hose A.

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 06:02 PM

Never happened to me in 45 years. many years racing stock cars and alot of weird stuff. I guess it shows how different Baja is .........

Albert G

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 06:03 PM

Hydrological linkage? Is there such a thing? I dont know.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 06:06 PM

There is if you spell it right.:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 06:20 PM

Never raced or much of anything off road, But Robby Gordon is the influence I have off road. Wouldn't mind learning a little.

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Judy Judy Judy...Clutches do not rise from the dead.
There is no magic pin. Something is off about this story.
I only mean good and want to help.

So did you? :biggrin:

--Larry

No . Thanks for asking.

Albert G

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 06:57 AM

Correcto, Jose A
Although I did not personally crawl up under the truck, the answer is a pin had fallen out. I asked my husband, "Like a cotter pin?" and he said , Yes

Al, Al, Al
:P:P:P

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 07:51 AM

Sorry Judy, Like I said, have had every clutch problem there is (Maybe), but never had a cotter pin fall out.

Albert G

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 07:59 AM

The truck was probably stuck in neutral or between gears.
I had the same happen when I got the old Ford bottomed out on some mud/rocks, and I am the one who put the pin in place after replacing the clutch a few months before ! Also, the ground-rubbing had slightly bent the control arm from the shifter. Sh-t happens !
Clutches don't ussually go out suddenly with no previous symptoms.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:28 AM

Hose A what you say make good sense. I had assumed maybe the salt had rusted it away. I do most all my own work and would never think of only slightly bending the legs.
I can well see brush causing break downs, so your view is very helpful.

Albert G

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.