Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another Crime Story: Loreto
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 07:20 AM
Another Crime Story: Loreto

Many Loreto residents get emailed news updates courtesy of resident Lynn Hamman. This one came this morning:

Quote:

This is very disturbing for Loreto. Please read the following statement from Rosey Sheffer. For those who do not know Rosey, she lives two blocks north of the La Pinta Hotel.

"At 11:30 last night I woke up and found a man standing next to my bed going through the night stand on Mike's side of the bed!!!!! At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing and my dogs (two large labs) did absolutely nothing!! I gathered up the blankets around me and jumped out of bed. He said don't do anything, I just want money! I could see he had a knife in his hand, a big kitchen knife. I said ok I'll get you some money, I went into my closet where I normally have my purse I couldn't find it! I said I think I left my purse in the living room so I went in there. It wasn't there, I went over to the big stair case, he got in front of me , saying I just want money. I said you don't want to do this get out of here and sort of pushed him towards the door, I sort of just kept going down the stairs pushing him ahead of me and I guess he decided to just go and ran out the door. I locked it and went into the garage, the lights were on and the back door was open!!! I locked that and went back upstairs to put some clothes on as I was still in my blankets. I saw that Siri (my neighbor) had just pulled up so I shouted to her what had just happened, she called the police and they came right away. Walking around the house I saw that the curtain in the dinning room was misplaced so I looked and the slider was open, that's how he came in. Outside with the police we saw that he had opened the garden shed door, took out a ladder, leaned it up toward the balcony and climbed up. It is back in the shed and the shed is locked. Smiley (Paulette's dog) was in the yard the whole time and didn't make a sound. As I went around locking all my doors and windows I found a large pair of garden cutters on the floor of the dining room and a staple gun on the floor in the hall on the way to my bedroom. Downstairs I found my purse, it was on the seat of the jeep which I had put in the garage. My money was all gone. Maybe that's why he didn't hurt me or try harder to get more money. There wasn't more than $50 in it. There doesn't seem to be anything else missing. It sure was a scary ordeal, but It could have been much worse, I was very lucky. So everyone please lock everything. He was bold and spoke English but definitely he was Mexican. He was thin and about 5'10", I think he had a beard but I did not turn on the lights so I did not get a great look at him. I was so scared. I just wanted him out of my house."

Note from Lynn:
We have had a lot of break-ins in our area during the past several weeks. Apparently, they just want money. There may be more break-ins in other areas, but I have not been told. Most of these break-ins have been done when no one is home. It appears that the robbers are getting braver since Rosey must have been watched and this person knew her husband was not home. Please make sure your home is locked securely.
[end quote]
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 07:43 AM
Scared...

But also a force to reckon with.... I'm glad Lynn wasn't hurt, and amazed at her standing her ground.... The thief was likely shocked by her pushing and determination.

Find him, boil him up, and feed him to the local critters... Breaking in and threatening and stealing is never ok... ANYwhere!!

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
awfulart
Nomad

Mood: Wondering what our Nit-Wit elected officials are doing now?

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 08:50 AM

What happened is never o k . It is good that no one was hurt. The same thing happened to us but I was home and chased the intruder, who was later caught, through our Orange grove. Not a smart thing to do but fortunately he ran instead of fighting.

These events happen everywhere, not just Mexico. We lived in Escondido, CA at the time.

QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 10:05 AM

There are many ways to prevent this. First off, the Dogs. Hire someone that they have never seen, and will never see again. Tie them to a tree or other object that they can not move, and have that person tease them. He WILL have to hit them with a stick a few time. Just not to hard, to get them mad at him. Have him do this several days in a row. After a few days, they will come to not trust people that they dont know. At least not like before, and when a stranger comes around, they will bark.

It may seem cruel, but it is a much safer option than having someone in your home.

Next. Buy a can of mace. On your next visit to San Diego, or your friends next visit. have them buy you a can or 3 and keep it handy. Make sure to shake it well every three days or so. When they purchase it, have them ask for the brand with the highest BTU rating that is legal.

Motion sensor lights on the outside of the home can do wonders. I know that they will rust in about 6 months, but they are well worth the cost.

Also check every door lock, and window lock each night before bed.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 08:28 PM

I had dinner with Rosie tonight and discussed at length what occured....to say she had angels looking over her is putting it mildly.....the real issue is the fact that she took for granted and did not lock up properly and the scum bag....who probably has been casing her magnificent home....was able to climb up to the second story and make his interence.....secondly I warned her never to sleep without clothes when alone as it makes you even more vulnerable as covering up becomes an issue because you are so exposed.....I think her dogs are on restriction for some time now and they will have to suffer sleeping outside and protecting her rather then sleeping soundly beside her.....I would really spank them good for not waking up. We have to lock our doors.....shut our windows....and realize there are preditors out there wanting something that belongs to someone else the dirty bastards.......she is a beautiful woman and got out by the grace of god.....he's lucky he did not choose my palapa or else my stafford shire terrier would have eaten his lunch just before I pushed him down the stairs and beaten him to death.......I hate scum bags who prey on others......
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:47 AM

In Addition tell all of you Mexican Friends what has Happened, give them a Descriptionof the Intruder.
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 07:04 AM
OMG!

This happened to me 24 years ago. Creep came in my 2nd story balcony slider door. EVERYTHING was locked up, I have NO idea how he got in. I wasn't as lucky as you regarding injury. Afterward, he made me drive him to another city. We passed a police car, but he said he would kill me if I alerted him. He had a knife also. He also said he would come back and kill me if I called police, he said he had a friend in my complex who would tell him if the police came. At 23, I did nothing, scared to death and I believed him. Despite a deadbolt and locked slider and screen, he still got in so I was convinced he could get past any locks. I had no dog. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. I know EXACTLY how terrifying it is. Get your dogs up to speed no matter how. Does no good to punish them after the fact, but it's true, have strangers scare/hurt them good. Sounds tough, but they have a JOB to do, and they let you down.
God bless your good luck in escaping what could have been much worse.
M
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 07:52 AM

What a horrible experience you had, M!
Where did this happen?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:47 PM

This is a sure way to stop Intruders in Loreto:
True Story:

Several years ago while living and building Rancho Sonrisa, someone broke into the Storage building and stole some things.

I had started gathering RattleSnakes, tanning their Skins an selling them to a Firm in the States.
The following week I caught several and put them into Cages in the same building.We had two Local Mexican Friends working on the main Building.
One of these Men was a real "Gossip around Town" so I proceeded to Show him the Snakes,skinned a Couple in Front of him and told him I was going to keep RattleSnakes in the Building the next time I .left to go North.

Never had anymore Trouble! Had several other Mexicano Friends ask me"How many Snakes do you Keep at your Casa". I kept a Skin Hanging around each door when we left.
The Word had passed around real Fast.
If you need any Snakes, go up to the Arroyo just North of the "PentHouse", after a Rain, they can be found in in the Debis around the bottom of the Trees, real easy to catch and display to your Mexicano Friends , who I am sure will respect your Property from then on!

Another True Story:
Had a Friend by the Name of Sandie Harrison, who lived alone in a House next to the Beach. She lived Alone for a Number of Years; Since the Labor Rate for a Nightwatchman is very low, she hired Jose to guard her House at Night.
At the going Rate and need of the Mexican People in Loreto it seems as if you could have a lot of good Sleep from now on by Hiring a Good Night Watchman. If you need a Name, please u2u me and I will give you a Name and Number of a very Trustworthy Friend, Highly recommended. This person would spread the Word very rapidly that anyone messing around with you or your Home would be subject to some very Nasty Results.

Very Cheap Insurance and in turn you would be helping a Man take care of his Family.

Skeet/Loreto
kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:54 PM

I was just kidding when I said I would punish them (spank) as they were terrified themselves when the police arrived.....however, I would make them sleep outside and not in the comforts of my room just in case. Also, talked to my sister and she said the type of dogs Rosie owned really aren't the guard type like a terrier is..even tiny terriers are on the alert due to the way they protect their domain......poor things.(her dogs)....we spoil our dogs too much, and with the white noise from the airconditionar and a sound sleep they did not even hear the guy....he was very smooth at what he did and a robber instead of a killer which is such a blessing. Rosie is one very brave woman who kept her cool to say the least and urged him out the door......I envy her as I would have gone beserk and probably gotten stabbed....or killed him instead. My hat goes off to her bravery.....Kelly
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:09 PM

About those dogs. Labs are friendly, hunting-type K-9's. Any mixed-breed curr will take a chunk out of you if given half a chance. Have been tree'd more than once, bitten a time or two.:o:o Don't sick 'em on me!:D
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 08:20 PM
Paula..

I was living in a small 1 bedroom apt. in Yorba Linda, CA. What was strange is that my apt was in the center of the complex. Pretty risky for him I thought. Must have been very familiar with complex or somebody in it. Horror can't describe it enough. I am so sorry for that poor woman in Loreto, I hope they get the bastard!
M
kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 10:27 AM

I have to laugh at the thought but the horror for this guy one night. My staffordshire sneeked out one night and this "BIG" guy was minding his own business walking down the street....I heard her bark and look out to see her wagging her tail, ears perked.,just sitting and looking up at him...and this poor guy on top of a fish cleaning table. Boy was he not a happy camper with me.....I felt terrible for scaring the crap out of him, and when I told him she would not bite, he still would not come down from the table..I scolded her all the way home for sneaking out. As far as snakes...what a great idea...but holy moly...to..catch live rattlers is scarier then anything I can imagine....I am less afraid of intruders.....:O
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 10:51 AM
Skeet,

Is that the Sandy that lived right across from the launch ramp? (Her husband gave Graham a pair of boots during his Baja walk)What a pistol! Her husband died years ago and I never got to meet him, but she was a dear friend and I was very sad when she died a few years ago. BHL and I went to her house a few years ago to see who lived there, and boy was I disapointed to see the condition of the place.
M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.