Author: Subject: dollars or pesos???
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
... where using dollars is being generous to our Baja amigos:

If you use dollars, then you automatically give everyone you buy from a tip. It is really easy to convert 10:1 but not so at 10.7 or?:1 (without a calculator).

If you are counting your pennies that closely, maybe taking a vacation isn't going to be fun?

Baja gives us so much, why not give just a little extra back?

Just another way to look at a situation!:light:

[Edited on 9-23-2006 by David K]

I totally agree David, well almost.
I just think it is easier to use Pasos especially at Mercado's and I give the change to the small person bagging. (most times more) I also tip 20% where ever I am.

[Edited on 9-23-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
In addition to using pesos, I think if you use credit cards (VISA or Mastercard) you get the official current day's exchange rate

Not the day of POS, but the day of POST to your account.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 06:53 AM

I guess I'm a lazy butt. I buy my pesos online from my bank. The exchange rate sucks, but they are delivered to my house the next day. Not having to stop on the way down is good, especially since I'm hardly near ATM's, and don't know where they are anyways.

As far as paying ... I always pay in Pesos, but I carry dollars too. I always pay in pesos for gas, beer, food ... but t-shirts seem to be priced in dollars (Museo in BOLA, and Coco's).

I also get my car insurance online before I leave. Once I'm in Baja, I don't want to conduct business. If I could get my tourist card before hand, I would.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
... where using dollars is being generous to our Baja amigos:

If you use dollars, then you automatically give everyone you buy from a tip. It is really easy to convert 10:1 but not so at 10.7 or?:1 (without a calculator).

If you are counting your pennies that closely, maybe taking a vacation isn't going to be fun?

Baja gives us so much, why not give just a little extra back?

Just another way to look at a situation!:light:

[Edited on 9-23-2006 by David K]

I totally agree David, well almost.
I just think it is easier to use Pasos especially at Mercado's and I give the change to the small person bagging. (most times more) I also tip 20% where ever I am.

[Edited on 9-23-2006 by Al G]

I agree with you Al, and most here in that it is far easier to use pesos when in Mexico... My post above was intended for those tourists (visitors) who haven't got pesos or wondeing if dollars will be accepted (they will, everywhere)...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 12:03 PM

DK ...I understand now. This will not apply to people who rarely cross, I would like to give my routine as it could apply to rookies like me. I always returned to the states with my commitment money. Mil to Quince Cien Pasos. also I exchange dollars every Wednesday(Bank) as that has proved the least busy day. I get all dos Cien or Cien Pasos and Quince of the blue ones for tipping. I always remembered the color blue for tipping, Veinte Paso, and it keeps me from getting crazy when I first started. I guess I should have used English, but even first timers must learn this to get started.
Really not on subject, but maybe of help to the person who has not been through it before. I know it confused the **** out of me.

[Edited on 9-25-2006 by Al G]

Albert G

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 01:19 PM
Pappy Jon----

---I am late to this thread, and perhaps it has been covered already, but you can go to any major bank as you pass thru towns and use their ATM for your pesos, getting a very favorable exchange rate-----at least that is the way I do it for ALL my pesos.

If you belong to a "club", such as DISCOVER BAJA, you CAN get our tourist permits from them, but you still have to technically have them validated at the border----takes just a few mins.

This is just the way I do it------probably are better ways.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 01:26 PM

Use atm's and bring more than 1 card if you can.
Keep the extra card in a very safe place.
Check with your ATM company to check/raise your ATM limit.

I had one refused one time but the other worked fine.
I remembered the correct password the next day :lol:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 02:20 PM

I really surprised at these answers. If he's going to campgrounds, he will be charged in dollars. Unless you have your own calculator and can do the math yourself to pay in dollars (the exchange rate is usually posted), pay for gas in pesos, because the computation with their calculators can be wrong. Try to have nearly accurate payment in pesos as well. They're a little slow in bringing me change sometimes, I think they're hoping that I'll just leave without it. I'll give them a $20 for $17.65 charge for gas, and they'll take it and shrug and say "ok". "Mi cambio por favor" and they run around like they've never seen a $20 bill before. I've never had a problem in grocery stores paying in dollars and having them do the conversion calculation. I even get centavos back in change. Hide a good portion of your cash, and only keep the amount of cash you think you'll use that day on you.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 03:01 PM
wilderone-----

I NEVER use dollars in Mexico----only pesos. It just gets to confusing for my feeble mind to do otherwise. Never have had any problems.

But yes, I do carry dollars, and in small bills, for some sort of emergency, and I keep them well hidden, (I hope) but I have NEVER used them in all the years.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 06:52 PM
LIBERAL?????----THAT WILL BE THE DAY----------

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I NEVER use dollars in Mexico----only pesos.

What are you, a liberal or something?

Question: has anybody run into a situation in Mexico where Pesos were NOT accepted (ie Dollars demanded)?

--Larry
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 07:56 PM

Lencho....you....you....you...babe in the woods RENTER (lo siento....that's not really a dirty word!) you! ;) If you had a Fideicomiso, you'd know that all the banks quote &require payment of all the bank fees in USD, while that same bank quotes all the non-bank agencies associated costs in pesos. The annual bank renewal fees are also quoted & due in USD. I've asked two different banks about the legality of that since the peso is the legal tender...and basically the answer was "that's just the way it's done!" One DID try telling me that it's strictly a gringo document, so it's payable in USD, but I wasn't buying that! From just the little time I've spend passing through Ensenada, from all the signs that I can read...I'd say that English must be Ensenada's national language & USD is most likely the legal tender that far North, but a fideicomiso is the only thing that I've experienced being told I HAD to pay in USD this far south.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 08:22 PM

LLLP

They quote in dollars but I've always paid in pesos.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.