Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Day Hikes from La Paz
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 11:44 PM
Day Hikes from La Paz

Is it possible to take a day hike out of La Paz to places that have waterfalls or streams or pools. We'll have access to a car so we could drive to a trail head, and go from there. Any suggestions?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 12:34 AM

If you have a GPS, you could look up one of the 'Glowing Green Men' in Baja (Gene Kira wrote about another).

Here's a photo and GPS of one near La Paz (close to San Juan de la Costa off the San Evaristo road), thanks to Tucker. Photos were taken before the recent hurricanes, so the green may have faded! http://community-2.webtv.net/Boojum1/Glowman

Another beautiful area is south of El Triunfo and San Antonio in the Sierra La Laguna. Take the graded road signed for 'San Antonio de la Sierra', off Hwy. 1. Giant gueribo trees and palms line an arroyo way back in there. Also some old ruins, but they are well hidden... but next to running water. Jimmy Smith took us there! Starting on http://davidksbaja.com/baja15/page4.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-14-2003 at 01:02 AM

Thanks for the leads. Did you mean that we can drive the road to San Antonio de la Sierra right to the site of the arroyo, or do we hike from the end of the road? If so, approximately how far?
Also, we tried to drive to San Juan de la Costa in October, but the road was gone. I don't mean a wash out. I mean gone like in chasm. The roadway just ended in a cliff that went right down to sea level. There was a dirt road that disappeared into the hills off to the west at the place of the chasm, and then reappeared out of the hills on the other side of the chasm, and rejoined the main road. But there was no way of telling how far up into the hills it went before it came back, or what the dirt roadway was really like once it went out of sight. I didn't want to get stuck way out in the boonies so we didn't chance it. I think we were pretty close to San Juan de la Costa when the roadway did its disappearing act. I would doubt that it would be repaired yet. It would be a major road rebuilding job.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2003 at 10:55 AM

I am sure the San Evaristo/ San Juan de la Costa road would have been rebuilt since the hurricane damage. Tucker, Aldo, or Bajalera can verify that, as they live in the area.

The road signed 'Ramal a San Antonio de la Sierra' goes right to the guerivo trees which were in a wide arroyo called El Aguajo in the Almanac (map 52, L-5) before reaching Rancho La Concepcion. Do you have a GPS?

The hike to the oldest mine & ore mill in Baja (Real de Santa Ana) starts much closer to Hwy. 1 off that graded road, on a short side road. Jimmy Smith requested the exact location and GPS not be published. Send me an email from my web site if you want.

Santa Ana was briefly the second location of a Jesuit mission (Ensenada de las Palmas) that started near Los Barriles. Eventually, that mission was re-established and renamed, at Santiago.

[Edited on 12-14-2003 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-14-2003 at 05:16 PM

Thanks for the claification. No, I don't have a GPS, but it sure sounds as if I should get one.
I've looked at the Maps link from your website, and they are great! But what is the Almanac you refer to? Is it the Map page of your website or something else entirely? And if so, where can I get it?
We like La Paz because my wife loves the water, and I love wandering inland. It seemed to us the last time we visited La Paz that this area might be a perfect place for us both to spend a lot more time.
We'll be there the first week in January, and she is getting ready to snorkel, and I am looking forward to exploring some of the arroyos, streams, waterfalls and woodland, if any I can find.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2003 at 05:31 PM

The Baja Almanac is a book of full color topo road/trail maps of all Baja. It is a MUST HAVE for all Baja explorers. The price is low for the info... $24.95 I think. There is a link to the publisher for ordering in my web site with the other Baja books and authors' links Go to Links to Great Baja Web Sites, in mine. Go to the section of books. Here>>> http://davidksbaja.com/davidslinks.html

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 06:49 PM

Thanks again. You've got a great website. I've looked at the pictures you've posted, and they have me eager to get out and do some walking. And the links are very helpful. I will get my hands on that Almanac, and head for the hills when I get a chance.
Steve
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2003 at 07:24 PM
San Evaristo Road

We took the road from La Paz to San Evaristo last week, and it's passible. There are some one-way sections and potholes, of course--as well as one hole the size of a small hotel--but nothing dangerous.

We'd intended to turn inland short of San Ev and cut across the mountains to Highway One, but this road soon turned into a pile of sharp rocks. So we turned around and came back.

The San Evaristo road has impressive views of Isla San Jose, and some awesome (and puzzling) geology. No waterfalls though.

Have a good trip, wherever you go!

- Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 11:59 AM
San Evaristo road

Sorry I missed you Bajalera, Carol and I were camped up there for a good portion of last week and I was there the week prior to that. The road is really bumpy but passable and use extreme caution as there are many places a catastrophe could happen. There are very few if any supplies available in that area and the majority of people you see will be soldiers. This is the time of year for the boats to start bringing across the kilos for shipment to the U.S. is what was explained by the Special Forces guys we talked to.
The road to the "Glowman" is washed out as well as all the other canyon roads in that area.
There are also many rattlesnakes, scorpions and bees at this time. We have friends that live in that area and they had been dealing with all the above the whole time we were there. It is pretty though !
Everyone was wearing their jackets over their heads to keep the bees from getting stuck in their hair and they had killed a rattlesnake the morning we arrived.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.