BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hwy 1, Driving Baja at night.
ME
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 06:38 PM

Driving at night is aganist all the rules.... Slowdown! Besides you dont want to miss Happyhour :yes:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 07:05 PM
$200????? Yikes!!!!!

-----thanks Ken, I will have to look into them.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:12 PM

They make them for all types of uses, makes and models.

Exterior Self Dimming Mirror, 996 & Boxster

chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:52 PM

used to drive baja a ton at nite, mainly due to time off restraints, still drive a bit mostly for a good swell, but two years ago (@2:00 AM) with our good lighting we saw a man who had been hit and drug by a semi-truck it was hard to tell what was in the road untill we were among it. It took along time to get the image out of my head and my 15 year old son also saw it. The biggest fear is if I would have struck the ped, so along with the good lights I slow way down going thru the towns, and I always ask for travle mercies.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:56 PM

...back in the 70's & 80's traffic was a lot less than today...I hauled lots of stuff to the new house during the night to avoid caravans, etc. There were few folks on the road to accidentally get blinded by my super high beam off road lights. It was also OK to stop to rest anywhere along the road when you got tired..things are now different...traffic dictates that night driving is dangerous...plus, the sorry fact that I'm not the 30 something I was then...I just can't stay focused for that many hours...the best way to go is ...sleep during the dark...drive with the light...
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 04:16 AM

Ken: From your words, I can see that you are a Good and Careful Driver!
When I started driving Hwy 1 on the Easter Weekend that it opened and up to my Last trip in my 1992 Ford F -150 4 W/D, 6 Cyl. with a Camper loaded with my Last Load of Funiture in 2000, Virginia and I were coming North out of Parker AZ. when we were Rear-ended by a Youngster pulling a Boat, knocked around two Cars Stopped in front of us for a Left Turn.
I heard and saw him coming toward us through the Rear view Mirror, so took my foot off the Brake, turned the Wheel slightly to the Left and was Propelled around the two cars in front, threaded through the oncoming traffic for about 75 yards.
Driver was doing about 55 Mph, had been smoking Dope while working on His Boat. Had only $15,000 Min. Coverage which just barely covered Virginias Medicals. This Tuesday she is having Surgery for Damage caused those 6 years ago.

The young Drivers here in the Texas Panhandle are the Same, Always over the Speed Limit, Tailgating, etc. I am having very large and strong Steel Wrapped around my Truck for Protection from the Deer, Turkeys, but mostly for Protection from those that use Their High Speed, Large Lights, to Intiminate all other Drivers.

Had a Freind traveling I 40 and got tired of the Large Truckers Tailgating so he rigged up a Device that dropped a bundle of Roofing Nails out The Rear end of His Pickup. Several Trucks had to Stop shortly with most of their Tires Flat.

Vag; I too have loved "Living on the Edge" but have always had the "Common Sense" not to put anothers Life in Danger, just to satisfy my on EGO.

Save your Life and Others--Do not Drive Baja at Night unless a matter of Life or Death.

Skeet/Loreto

Skeet/Loreto
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 08:43 AM
Posting photo for Bernie

Bernie emailed this photo to me. He wanted you all to see an example of what could happen when driving at night on Hwy. 1 in Baja!

carvshorseR.JPG - 47kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 10:50 AM

heck of a horse thief:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 11:24 AM
Same thing

Happened here last Fall. It was an elk though, that tried to clear a lifted 4X4. DOA. It isn't just Baja.

In fact in Oregon there are only two types of people:

1.) Those who have hit a deer with their car

and:

2.) Those who will.

Should we stop driving here at night also? Is anyone aware how many moose are struck in AK every year?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:08 PM

Driving at night can be dangerous whether in Baja, or anyplace else. When you get past those city lights, off the Interstates and out in the boonies, beware. :OYou're on your own. Wildlife, free-roaming livestock and run-of-the-mill breakdowns are all part of the equation. Road bandits?:?: Get's a little spooky when the next town is 70 miles away. Driving at night on rural roads isn't wise north or south of the border.;D
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:51 PM
Thanks David

That actually happened to a friend of mine in his El Camino on the toll road near La Mision.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 02:50 PM

HID adjustment. Total of 9 used on my race car. When running at night, it is a requirement to shut them down (or at least the uppers) when getting in the dust from a vehicle in front or go blind due to reflection. The only thing that works that I have found is NOT to shut them all down at one time...allow a few seconds between each lamp. Not 100% possible, but often. Tim

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 04:57 PM

That picture is hilarious, David. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry. I suppose it was real tragic, but I can't wipe the grin off my face.

I have a coworker who told me about a friend that died in Yellowstone after running into a buffalo. I kept trying to imagine that all these years. What it must have been like. Now, my curiosity has been satisfied and it's as wild as I had pictured it in my mind.

God! I have to post this quickly so I can go back and look at that some more.

Reminds me of the joke - How do you get 4 elephants into a volkswagen? Now I can visualize that.

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by Skipjack Joe]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim40
The only thing that works that I have found is NOT to shut them all down at one time...allow a few seconds between each lamp. Not 100% possible, but often. Tim

Heres my Hwy 1 protocol:
Car within 2 miles - turn off KC Daylighters
Car within 1 mile - turn off 4 overhead Hella FF50s
Car within :60 - turn off headlights/run Hella fog lamps only
Car flashing brights - turn off fog lamps and slow to 10 m.p.h.

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by Ken Cooke]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 03:07 AM

Ken: Very good Advice:
As a Race Driver your training , reactions,experience both on and Off Road are much different than the everyday person going to Baja on a Holiday.

You know those Risks and I am sure use them for winning Races. Think about the First time Nomad going down Hwy 1 the first time, not knowing the Narrow Lanes, Drop off Shoulders, the Standard Passing Signal given by the Good Mexicano Drivers, the Stopped Vehicles in the Middle of the Road, the Cows and Horses etc.

Are you not practicing "Survival of the Fitist" with the Advantage being on your side due to their Lack of Experience????

Skeet/Loreto
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 12:59 PM
DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT!!!!!

I was camping at Nopolo one year (before the golf courses and sinking hotel) entertaining 4 pescadors that brought me some fish. We were sitting around the campfire when we heard this loud screeching of breaks and a WHUMP!!!! Right off the bat I knew it was one of my burro friends that visited my camp for orange peels. We all raced up to the road and found Clyde, sprawled out with his 2 broken legs out front of him, his left eye hanging out and God only knows what internal injuries. A young man and 3 girls were just getting out of their trashed Corolla. The car was hit fatally and I don't know how those kids escaped serious injury, but they did, only then to survive my verbal assault.
Clyde was screaming and thrashing in pain and I was turning myself inside out with the horror of it all, so I just lit into those kids for an eternity. When I stopped for breath, the kid told me that the 3 girls in the car with him were deaf mutes, but they could read lips. Hell, at least they could understand the words, even if they did escape the VOLLUME. My pescador friends dragged me back to camp and those kids set off walking towards Loreto. Clyde was still thrashing and screaming and I was begging those fishermen to do something but they wouldn't get involved. They said the burro belonged to someone and they were not going to be the ones to kill it. So...with my machete, I did. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life and I only regret that I didn't think to have that damn kid who hit Clyde do it himself. Graham came by my camp a couple days later. He said he heard about a crazy gringa in Nopolo who killed a burro. He figured I had to be the crazy gringa so he came out for a look. We walked out to Clydes body and damned if it wasn't much more than a hide sack filled with roiling maggots! In about a week, I doubt if there would be anything left. Graham said he was going to go back for the skull, and I asked about it a couple years ago, but he said he never did. I know this is another case of "she really didn't do that", well, yes, it happened and I have the pictures to prove it. Driving at night and thinking your the exception, is one of the stupidest things you can do in Baja.
M
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 04:02 PM

I've seen many a cow, donkey and coyote in the day light as in the dark. Doesn't make much difference day or night when they]re tucked down in a vado or the backside of a turn.

It's the farm truck w/ 20 people aboard doing 10mph, or the tractor crossing the highway, or the gaunlet of things flying out the back of trucks that I always worried about in the daytime.

In the Baja night you can see the glow of headlights many miles ahead, don't have to worry about too many locals and you can drive the middle of the road (sure helps when you blow a tire).

Know the road, know your limits, slow in the curves and vados and ALWAYS expect the unexpected. Half the adventure in traveling Baja is the goin & comin and everyone here didn't choose to go that first time because it was boring......you went for the Baja adventure..... and that Baja spirit still tugs on all of you today. I can see it in your posts. I was bit too and there's nothing like it.

Be safe one and all, but don't forget to make it an adventure.
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 04:53 PM

Not going to give advice as to if you should/should not drive MX/Baja at night. I have done it for years, but when asked I always suggest the most conservative approach and say most would recommend you do not.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 05:49 PM

i gave it another thought God be with you if you find you have to drive at night and if you want to live on the edge make sure your the one on the edge :fire::fire:not some poor person who didnt want to be there :no::no:go ahead too many greengos in mexico anyway maybe it bring propertys back on the market:yes::yes::yes:

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 09:17 AM

SoulPatch: Not Many!
The guy had it setup to stream the Roofing Nails to the slight inside of the 18 Wheelers, dumping only enough to get as many Wheels as Possible.
His Story: On one incident near Alburqurque New Mexico. He stopped and ask the Driver if he needed assistance, there was one car following and he helped them on their Way after Fising their Flat.

He heard on his CB later , the Drivers warning that there was Nails on the Hwy ahead, then he went on the Radio and gave the story of a guy dropping Nails infront of Tail-gaters. You Shoud have heard the Replys!!
They even described the Little Red Toyota Truck that was doing all the Damage.
I would advise aganist Driving at Night, but if you do, slow your Speed so that you can react faster to any danger that maybe over the Hill/around the Curve etc.
There is an old Saying"Drive Like Hell, yawl will get there sooner or Later".

Skeet/Loreto
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.