Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier Advice
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 10:13 AM
Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier Advice

Has anyone had any experience with these things? How do they hold up in the back country? Are they noisy?

yuletide
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 10:59 AM

I bought one through Cabellas.com. It is Aluminum, 4' wide, 2' deep. Has short sides and many hold down points for your tie downs. It even has a fold up feature if necassary. The steel version of this is very heavy to load, the aluminum one is easy to move around and is very sturdy, it has a #500 rating, and I have loaded it to maybe half that with no problem. I think it was around $200. When loaded it doesn't make any noise. Camping World has them too, but not aluminum.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:03 PM
I musta got ripped

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
I bought one through Cabellas.com. It is Aluminum, 4' wide, 2' deep. Has short sides and many hold down points for your tie downs. It even has a fold up feature if necassary. The steel version of this is very heavy to load, the aluminum one is easy to move around and is very sturdy, it has a #500 rating, and I have loaded it to maybe half that with no problem. I think it was around $200. When loaded it doesn't make any noise. Camping World has them too, but not aluminum.

I spent more like $400 but that was with shipping. I took it down and had gussets and substantial bracing welded on it. So far no probs on many bad roads.

carrier.jpg - 28kB

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 12:37 PM

I have had one for several years and really like it. You can get the fold up model (gonna get one next time) and also a bike rack. I also use mine to carry gas cans....keeps em outta the camper or the vehicle
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 02:01 PM
on boat trailer?

I would be interested in one that mounts on top of the front of a boat trailer. If anyone knows of such a thing (or know how to build it) let me know.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 02:47 PM
skipjackjoe-------

-----if you use a rack on the tongue of a boat trailer I would not take it too far on dirt roads if there is any weight in it----------the constant flexing will crystalize the tongue at the most inopertune time----------happened to me 100 miles from anywhere-----very embarrassing, and the trailer was ruined. The boat trailers are not engineered to carry much weight on the tonque.

Just be aware, and be careful.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 04:26 PM
Barry

Thank you for your reply. I suspected that and it's great to read about a personal experience because it puts to rest the whole thing in my mind.

I have been looking at those carriers for some time now, the ones that fit in the hitch, and the ones I saw didn't look sturdy enough to me to handle any offroad driving. I would say they would be fine for the highway and perhaps the washboard roads but not much else.

Too bad, because I could really use the additional space.

[Edited on 10-2-2006 by Skipjack Joe]
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 06:41 AM

Bajamatic

Got a rack from Draw-Tite (on line) 500lb capacity. I have it mounted on front of vehicle F350 Diesel Have been from FL to Alaska and on down to Baja...plenty of rough roads!No overheat problems, but truck is diesel.

Did however, weld rack into hitch acceptor...need to remove just unweld. Has made it much more secure and less bouncy..price was right.

Capt George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 02:10 PM
I have a Hitch Haul

which has to be the largest selling variety of these hitch carriers. It's the steel one with the metal mesh "flooring". Rated at 500#, they are selling most anywhere for about 88.00. They have since come out with an aluminum one for more dinero but I dont find this one to be very heavy at all and it's shown little signs of rust, even though I live about a mile from the ocean and we get decent overcast most of the time. I store it outside.

I have no complaints. I've carried outboard engines, a generator, gas cans, firewood, propane tanks, the Weber, even my EZ-UP up there. Well, not all at once, mind you. It's nice to keep dirty or heavy or bulky items out of the Lance so you have immediate access to the living area.

I do use two pieces of plywood over the mesh flooring to spread out the weight if I'm carrying something heavy.

I think they're absolutely indispensible........so much so that I installed a front hitch on my F-350 so I could continue to use it when towing a boat. Hidden Hitch makes one that is custom for many full sized truck.......dont know about the rice burners. :lol:

Hitch Haul also makes optional bike racks that bolt onto these to allow you to carry two bikes.

Great product........no matter whose you get.

I never hear it making ANY noise...........but then I lived through the 60s and I drive a diesel. I dont hear as well these days.:?:

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by Hook]
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 02:55 PM

thanks for the tips - I'm in - all welded, 1k lbs, should do the trick. Do you guys use one of those little doo-hickeys that raises the platform up 6"?

yuletide
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
thanks for the tips - I'm in - all welded, 1k lbs, should do the trick. Do you guys use one of those little doo-hickeys that raises the platform up 6"?

Holy chit! That sounds permanent.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 03:08 PM

I take it to the next level.

yuletide
westy
Junior Nomad

Mood: some people call me the Space Cowboy

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:11 PM

....if you make it yourself, you can make it strong enough to tow your trailer.
Only a few bucks more for the good, thick stock at the local steel supply store.

[Edited on 10-6-2006 by westy]

Copy of DSC00419.JPG - 31kB
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:37 PM
Westy...

...I did the same thing, I got some 1/4 inch wall steel tubing to replace the one that came with the rack. I made it long enough to slide way into my hitch receiver as far as it would reach, about 10 " fwd of the pin hole - now it's really stout and will hold gobs of weight, and I don't have to worry about the thing breaking, etc.

I just got one of those cheapo trays from Harbor Freight, and welded on the heavy wall tubing noted above - I've loaded two small motorcycles back there without any problems.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
westy
Junior Nomad

Mood: some people call me the Space Cowboy

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 07:36 AM

Hey Mexray, good to hear from you. Hope all is well for you!

[Edited on 10-6-2006 by westy]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.