Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ferry to Topolobampo from La Paz
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 09:52 PM
Ferry to Topolobampo from La Paz

Hi all: has anyone taken this ferry? I'm not sure which way I'll take it from. My wife is concerned about our dog being in the ''hole.'' Don't know how much fumes/exhaust would get into a car window that is left open a bit. Which brings up security. Should I be concerned about leaving my car windows cracked for ventilation?

Thanks.

Lee

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
sparks

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 04:28 AM

http://bajaferries.blogspot.com/

That's a blog I have compiled about Baja ferries .... and included is an article on pets. Be prepared

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 09:32 AM

Excellent post and thank you so much for writing it and helping me avoid major headaches. Unhappy would be an understatement for how me and my dog would feel about the ferry situation. So much for the ferry -- until things change!.

Guess it's the highway for now. Now to find a place that takes dogs.

Regards, Lee

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 09:47 AM

Lee: In my many years in Baja and traveling the Ferries , including the one from Lapaz to Topo. I can say that I never had any trouble at All!
It is strongly suggested that you apporach the Head Deck Hand, place a 20 in his Hand and your Dog will be well cared for!
The Topo Run is a real Adventure, where at Night we saw very Large Dolphin follwing in the Bow Wake of our Ferry. We went on to Visit Los Alamos{ A Place I considered moving to}, then to Matzalan, 30 mile South for the Leather seated Rocking Chairs, back to Tobo and to La Paz,
One of Many Trips.
If it would make you feel Better a Half of Tranquliser for you Dog, would keep him Happy.
The Ferries are not bad at all, in fact I am thinking about pulling a Boat fromhere to Loreto and taking the Ferry Across-It is Always an Adventure!!
Skeet/Loreto
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 10:04 AM

A girlfriend of ours took her dog across last spring and did not have any problems. She
actually was able to take the dog out of the kennel several times for "walks". She did not report any difficulties. It is a trip we are looking forward to.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 12:44 PM
My dog in a kennel

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Lee: In my many years in Baja and traveling the Ferries , including the one from Lapaz to Topo. I can say that I never had any trouble at All!
It is strongly suggested that you apporach the Head Deck Hand, place a 20 in his Hand and your Dog will be well cared for!
The Ferries are not bad at all, in fact I am thinking about pulling a Boat fromhere to Loreto and taking the Ferry Across-It is Always an Adventure!!
Skeet/Loreto

Hey Skeet:

My dog is kennel trained and I'm OK slipping her a tranq.

The blog I read said a chiwawa size kennel was provided. My Lab is 65 pounds and a medium size dog.

I'm also OK helping out the Head Deck Hand. Can you elaborate on how and where my dog might be cared for? A larger kennel somewhere? Stash her bed somewhere out of the way while leashed?

I'm paranoid about having her ''out of sight'' -- at least in the US.

Regards,

F*ck it.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 07:37 PM

I'm considering taking the ferry over to La Paz in March 07 for my next trip and working my way back up. I have a couple questions for the ferry veterans.

I'm curious how long it takes to get from the border crossing in southern AZ to Topolobampo?

I don't see any place for reservations on the ferry website, do they take reservations? It's a long drive down and I'd hate to be stuck.

Thanks!!!

Chuck...
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:06 AM

Lee; Virginia and I Traveled The Ferries and Baja with a Black Lab for 14 years. God Bless ole Bud!
We had a Toyato Pick up with a Camper Top., Deck Hand and I would take him over to a Corner of the Ferry for a Pee{two times on a 6 Hr. Trip}.
I would keep her in the Camper Sheel with the back opened and let the Deck Hand look out for. I always was able to go down and Check old Bud.

ursidae69
It has been a few years since the Trip from Az. to Topo, but it is a Toll Road all the way, you can make good time. Ask the Board for the Latest Website for the Ferries. Someone will have it at their Fingertips.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:00 AM

Skeet,

Thanks for the response on the road. So if I leave super early from AZ, I should make the ferry that night you think?

I do have the most current website, but I don't see any options for reservations. Maybe I'm missing it, or probably there are none.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:16 AM

Yes it is a toll toad all the way, and the reports I get its very expensive, let us know how it goes.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:47 PM
Thanks Skeet

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Lee; Virginia and I Traveled The Ferries and Baja with a Black Lab for 14 years. God Bless ole Bud!
We had a Toyato Pick up with a Camper Top., Deck Hand and I would take him over to a Corner of the Ferry for a Pee{two times on a 6 Hr. Trip}.
I would keep her in the Camper Sheel with the back opened and let the Deck Hand look out for. I always was able to go down and Check old Bud.

I"m comfortable with that!

:cool:

F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.