BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FM3 - after 5 years, Spanish test?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 07:02 PM
FM3 - after 5 years, Spanish test?

Is there really a test? I'm applying this January and in 5 years hope to be fluent enough to pass a test. I'll be renewing in La Paz.

Anyone know the office there and how it goes? I'm thinking of getting someone to do the paperwork for me.

Anyone there who can do it?

Regards,

Lee:yes:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 08:41 PM

The requirements have been noted many times on bajanomad search on FM3.

The immigration office in La Paz (for FM3) is located on the malecon calle Obregon next to el taste restaurant. The officials in the office are very nice people and many speak english though it would help if you are very polite and speak spanish and follow general courtesies. Arrive in the office early in the morning about 9am and before 1pm. It is very easy to arrive late and make no progress. The office will become very busy in november due to annual migrations. Make careful notes and remember the officials name and be very very patient. Never loose your cool since most problems are just a misunderstanding on your part and if it takes longer who really cares?

There are various paperwork offices though it can be completed on your own, with the help of a facilitator it is easier and costs 100-200 for their help. One person I know of is a woman who works across from the marina la paz in the marine chantlilery. Her name is yolanda. She works in the morning from 9am-1pm. She is totally helpful along with her associate who does the running around. These pleasant woman have a way of making things work very quickly and easily. I did it myself over a 60 day period while complete the steps in 1-3 days.

You can do a search on FM3 and mexican law and you'll find other helpful people, most real estate offices will have a person since each foreign home owner must/should have one.

In advance of your application prepare a copy of bank records that show you can support yourself for some period... 3 months with about 600 for each month or in excess of $1800. If you plan to work and use a specific skill you'll need a sponsor company in mexico so at first start as a rentista and work toward finding a buddy company to sponsor you as an accionista. I have corp which can sponsors my workers-who must also file taxes each month with the hacienda through an accountant. Once you make friends it will be easy. But prepare your credentials such as an english degree or cooking certificate or surf teaching or whatever and complete the Apostile process within your home state... for us americans, candiens don't require an apostiile of certifications since they were not signators of the hague agreement er somethin like that-requires a few weeks.

Of course, someone like Yolanda will help make mexico things happen and you can start the process. I am sorry I don't have her contact but you can also call the marina la paz and ask for her contact info or hail on MLP channel 16 vhf.

Anyway, once you have the FM3 be careful it is a fragile doc and can tear easily, or be lost or stolen you'll have to pay for replacements and sometimes they may loose the history of 5 years if you move between regions. Copies of each page are in your book on file.

The test is referenced here on bajanomad- it is basic.

[Edited on 10-4-2006 by gnukid]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 09:53 PM

Thanks for pointing me to the search engine. Extremely helpful and informative.

Alot of questions answered there.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 10:54 PM

No Spanish test. There is a Peso test, every year. ;D

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 11:00 PM

which is it, language test or peso test?:?:

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:40 AM

I think this question is actually about Dual Citizenship of which we had a discussion a couple of weeks ago. Here's the thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19304#pid169169

I believe it was determined that there is a citizenship test of some sort and it is in Spanish.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 03:15 PM

Hola Lee, I have lots of experience in FM3's and the Nationalization process for which there is a serious test in Spanish. It is a tricky thing indeed and I wish I would have used an agent instead of doing it myself. I have a good pal who is a lawyer in La Paz who does these things and he speaks perfect English and is a very nice...trustworthy guy...I've met lots of sleazy types of lawyers in that Immigration office to watch out for. You can contact Alonso Lopez by email too his email is lopezlermajuan@yahoo.com.mx and tell him shari gave you his email address. Good luck.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Hola Lee, I have lots of experience in FM3's and the Nationalization process for which there is a serious test in Spanish. It is a tricky thing indeed and I wish I would have used an agent instead of doing it myself. I have a good pal who is a lawyer in La Paz who does these things and he speaks perfect English and is a very nice...trustworthy guy...I've met lots of sleazy types of lawyers in that Immigration office to watch out for. You can contact Alonso Lopez by email too his email is lopezlermajuan@yahoo.com.mx and tell him shari gave you his email address. Good luck.

Great. I need contacts in La Paz. I'll definitely email Alonso and use your name.

Any idea what he charges?

Regards,
:D

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 04:14 PM

Shari

You didn't tell her how good looking he is?

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Is there really a test? I'm applying this January and in 5 years hope to be fluent enough to pass a test. I'll be renewing in La Paz.

Anyone know the office there and how it goes? I'm thinking of getting someone to do the paperwork for me.

Regards,

I think what you are talking about is the interview. there is supposed to be one for the fm2 but many offices do it in English now. many years ago when I did it it was all in Spanish and they wanted you to be able to answer in Spanish also.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-4-2006 at 09:34 PM
Interview? What interview?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Regards,

I think what you are talking about is the interview. there is supposed to be one for the fm2 but many offices do it in English now. many years ago when I did it it was all in Spanish and they wanted you to be able to answer in Spanish also.

I haven't seen anyone at Migra for seven years. When it came time for my FM2 my preparer filled it out, filed it, then went and got it for me. I suppose they'll get to see me when I get citizenship.

(Guess I'll have to clean up a little bit, though.)

Julie
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 03:50 PM

I applied for naturalization this year and took the test last spring.

There is a short interview process which seemed to be an attempt by the people in the office to determine if I could communicate in spanish. The written test is in spanish and asks questions about the history and culture of Mexico , but primarily your reasons for wanting naturalization and how your friends and family view your decision. Also how you would view your country of orgin once naturalized.

The hardest part was the national anthemn (sp?). I memorized the first section and chorus because that is all I have ever heard sung. Of course my test had the section stanza. Anyway....I passed, but it is not for the timid and you do really need a grasp of the spanish language. Have talked to several people who they refused to give the test to because they felt their spanish was lacking.

Also...you have to apply for naturalization within the first 6 months of renewing your fm2, any time after and you have to wait until the following year. They have one year, mas o menos to process you application.
Hope this info helps.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 04:00 PM
Jumping jimminies

Quote:
Originally posted by Julie
I applied for naturalization this year and took the test last spring.

Where oh where did you do this test, Julie? I don't want to be tested there.

Was your test the norm, if there is a norm? Would the test in La Paz be similar to a test in Cabo?

Anyone else out there with solid information like this?

I'm nervous already.

(I'm serious about studying and doing it right!)

:yes:

Regards,

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 05:08 PM

The fastest way to get your FM3 the first time, is to get it in San Deigo. Just go to the Mexican Embassy, get the app, fill it out and turn it in with the correct docs. the next day, go and get the FM 3.

BUT!!!! DO NOT GET ANOTHER ONE EVERY YEAR that way. it does not count towards your 5 years. You have to renew the first one.

I am getting my first renewal right now, and will have my citizenship in another year, but thats because my son was born here.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 07:32 PM
I've read the FM3 posts and it took me hours

Quote:
Originally posted by QuePasaBaja
The fastest way to get your FM3 the first time, is to get it in San Deigo. Just go to the Mexican Embassy, get the app, fill it out and turn it in with the correct docs. the next day, go and get the FM 3.

BUT!!!! DO NOT GET ANOTHER ONE EVERY YEAR that way. it does not count towards your 5 years. You have to renew the first one.

I am getting my first renewal right now, and will have my citizenship in another year, but thats because my son was born here.

What I've read here, and have been told by sources down South who know is a new FM3 has 30 days to register where they will live. That's La Paz area for me. I don't know about that office but I'm told it's (maybe) almost like starting over.

Plan to hire someone down there to do it for me. I'm in this for the long haul.

Thanks though.

:tumble:

F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.