BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finding space inside your rv/camper...
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 04:56 PM
Finding space inside your rv/camper...

When I first got my camper and sat inside I was amazed by how LITTLE space I had for storage...(4 wheel pop up truck camper).....but I am now finding that with some creative choices of what to bring and finding places to put things that I accually have more than enough for my needs....quite a surprise.....

Anybody got some tricks/tips in packing/ storage or maybe some photos of what you have done?.....
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:12 PM

Take the converter out and use the space. You don't camp in campgrounds where you need 120vac for days, do you? Likewise the heater if you have one. Just run the stove for five minutes.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:49 PM

Don't pack anyTHING that you can buy 30 minutes from your campsite.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:22 PM

We've packed 20 gallons of boat oil in the wheel wells of our Dodge Ram Diesel with a pop-up camper in the bed. Then we pack MORE stuff on top and around of that! Don't pack too much heavy stuff under the bed, makes for too much bounce. We have an extended cab so we create a dog bed by laying a piece of fiber board over the fold down seats in back and then pack as much heavy stuff as we can under the dog. We discovered a small empty space under the floor beneath the table. We pack that with books and batteries and other small, heavy stuff. We're packing for a 9 month stay, so we utilize every nook and cranny. Amazing what you can get in there if you're creative.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:33 PM

After 2 months with 4 people in a camper I agree with packing low, we had started our trip with too much crap on the roof and it made for alot of side to side, at least you got a pop up, I am in the process of getting rid of my beast and getting a pop up. After the first week of our last trip I was peddeling crap everywhere we went to try to lighten up. It reminded me of folks leaving pianos and cast iron stoves along the Oregon trail, unfortunatley not till after the "wagon" sustained some damage. We took our camper off in a few areas we wanted to explore and used criss-crossed plywood stands, like the old waterbed pedestals, to set the camper on, when not in use they store flat under the camper as a spacer.
Good luck on the "trail"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 10:12 PM

My '86 eight foot Lance had a "wardrobe" next to the stove. Because our clothes are stuffed in bags, it made a very effective pantry. It is elevated though, so we try to keep light stuff there, and heavy foods in the under dinette storage. I knew that shifting loads would blow the door open, so I fabricated a removable barrier which, is recessed a bit, and doubles as a place to hang mesh bags of frequently used stuff. The shelves are too deep, and it is a hassle to get to stuff in the back, but it is a space capsule after all. One must adapt.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:41 AM

I spent a couple of hours yesterday measuring/fitting /thinking about how to store things...looks like each trip out more ideas will surface for improvements....
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:59 AM

Or start thinking the other way - why do you need so much stuff? Go small and light. Think double-duty for all articles. That bottle opener, can opener, knife, corkscrew could be all one tool; no paper plates/cups to take up space - use plastic and wash them. No unnecessary household plastics - nesting plastic bowls will take up only the space of the largest bowl. Specific seasonings that you know you'll use and no others. Make a special rack for those near the stove. Maximize the use of the height of all storage units by adding shelves at the top, a rod, hooks on the sides, even slide out drawer at the top or bottom. Add narrow racks on the inside of cupboard doors. Get spice racks from the thrift store and install them inside cupboards to keep dishes, cups, cutlery, etc. - you can even make a wire mesh door for those to keep things from falling out. If you live near a marina, go look at boat interiors - lots of efficient utilization of space in a boat gally. Even office supply stores have various small shelving articles and things that can be screwed or bracketed in place for use. Swing out shelves and tables attached to an exterior door.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:22 PM

One trick I saw on a 4-Wheel camper was to raise the seats up by adding a 4" piece of plywood around the sides of the box under the seats, making the boxes 4" deeper and holding that much more stuff.
Because I have a small truck, my 4-Wheel Camper is the shell model with all of the cabinets converted to storage. I set up my kitchen outside on the beach under my awning.
Joaquin Suave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 09:32 AM

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 10:00 AM

Not fair....isn't that CASA AZUL?.....
Joaquin Suave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 10:02 AM

It sure is. Did the color give it away?
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2006 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Not fair....isn't that CASA AZUL?.....

Any more on casa azul?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.