BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaching the roof racks on a camper...
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:06 PM
Reaching the roof racks on a camper...

I have a tall 4wd truck with roof racks on the camper...roof isn't strong enough to crawl on to load/unload surfboard....I have been bringing a 4 foot aluminum stepladder to get up to the racks...sort of a pain....got any better idea on how to get up there?
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:10 PM

If the roof isn't strong enough to crawl on, you'll need to get a sturdier and taller ladder? $49.95 for a 6 footer @ The Depot, fiberglass, good for other uses too, like climbing, to reach other high stuff.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:49 PM
Reaching Your Roof...

Try a "tire step". You can use them up front when working in the engine compartment, or on the back wheels when you're loading and unloading your roof rack/surfboards.
They come in "solid"/non-adjustable and adjustable types, and take up WAY less room than a ladder!
Do a Google search for "tire step", or if you're stubborn like me, jump in your truck and swing by just about any large auto parts store and you'll find one in a heartbeat.
Suerte! Cameron

proline-car-tire-wheel-step-240.jpg - 13kB
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:57 PM

Wow... I like it. Will it fold up any more compact??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:37 PM

Adopt an 8 or 9 year old boy!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 08:21 PM
Callen Camper in El Cajon-----

---makes a steel ladder that is attached to the side of the camper----I have one and it works great.
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 10:31 PM

Surfer Jim,

I had a 4 wheel camper for years and that is one of the issues that drove me to eventually sell it. However, I used to do the following for putting stuff on the roof.

Drivers side - stand in the propane compartment. Works well.
Rear - stand on the rear wall steps, or on the back corner of the truck bed.
sides - reach from the rear door of the truck cab, or a tricky balance move on the truck bed rails, while holding onto the rack crossbars.
You can also stand on the crossbars of your rack. We bought a small Yakima basket that worked for standing in.

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution. We ended up buying an Outfitter and now I simply climb up on the roof and walk around. I feel like a king!
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 06:19 AM
Camper roof access

Jim, roof access is a tough one, I hated bringing a ladder so I set up a rail system. I have a Four Wheel Pop-up so the roof is delicate, I took the jacks off the corner flanges and had a friend make up two 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 tubes that run the length of the camper, welded flat stock to each end, had it powder coated and attached to the jack holes. This bar now runs the full length of each side approx. six inches below the side of the camper. I simply step on the tire and up to the rail and have full access. See www.followingsea.net for pics. Under the article about Grebe scroll down to continued then scroll down to more pictures, click on the pic of my truck and boat and it will give you some ideas.

Steve
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:26 AM

For some reason I thought I could just walk on the roof like on a motorhome....needed lightweight camper but the Outfitter sure looked GOOD....

I have the jacks removed also...that tube on the sides looks interesting...will give it some thought.....

sbsrf...looked like a fun trip...will read it in full when I get time.....
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 09:06 AM

4-Wheel Campers sell some small steps that mount on the back of the camper. I think they fold down. I didn't get them because they were pricey.

By the way, be careful with the ladders. I had one go out from under me one time and dropped 3 feet very fast. I took it for granted that it would be steady, even though I was parked on a slight incline to the left and I was loading my canoe in a hurry at a river takeout.

[Edited on 10-6-2006 by bajarich]
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 10:19 AM

I have the fold down steps on mine but they only give you access to the back of the roof. I also dont trust ladders, plus the rails allow me to walk forward and back without climbing down and moving it all the time.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no easy solution. We ended up buying an Outfitter and now I simply climb up on the roof and walk around. I feel like a king!

Marek, I'm jealous I am so over my big 'ol heavy camper, I am looking at outfitter, I understand that they can hold several hundred pounds on the roof and you can still pop-up, is this true?
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-7-2006 at 12:12 AM

HEY SJ…HOW ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THIS TELECOPING LADDER???

I’ve seen the no. 1 style ladder before and they’re pretty neat. They’re a bit on the pricey side, but what unique, well made camping or off-road item isn’t? And if They do the work, they’ll be worth it. They used to carry them at Costco, but not sure about now.

1. http://www.getladder.com/black_ladder.cfm

2. http://www.getladder.com/4_step_stool.cfm

For more prices and such, just GOOGLE “telescoping ladders”

Michael :saint:

PS: BTW…long time no see, I think the last time was at an Amigo’s get together at Gonzaga Bay…long time ago!

[Edited on 10-7-2006 by AmoPescar]
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2006 at 01:21 AM

We are leaving for Baja in the morning. I was chuckling to myself as I was standing on the roof of the Outfitter and walking around while loading the surfboard, kayak, lawn chairs, umbrellas, etc.

Yes, you can raise the roof with a couple hundred pounds on it. It takes a little muscle, but nowhere near the challenge of the 4 wheel camper.

On the Outfitter, I also had them mount steps along the side of the camper to use to reach things on the roof.

It is a little heavier than the 4 wheel camper, but mostly because there are more options you can add. However, it is still much lighter than most full size campers.

We're taking our time getting to the border and then we'll spend about two weeks while heading to Cabo and back. We're (wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs) in a big white dodge with the Outfitter on the back. We're pretty hard to miss. Big bumpers, surfboard and kayak on the roof, and mountain bikes on the back.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2006 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marek

We're taking our time getting to the border and then we'll spend about two weeks while heading to Cabo and back. We're (wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs) in a big white dodge with the Outfitter on the back. We're pretty hard to miss. Big bumpers, surfboard and kayak on the roof, and mountain bikes on the back.

marek, Hurt me!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.