BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On declaring stuff at San Ysidro.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 10:02 AM
On declaring stuff at San Ysidro.

I've done some homework:

Under $1,000.00 used personal items; under $3,000.00 for computer.

I've never seen the form to fill out so maybe the values are listed. Otherwise, how is value determined? I have a receipt for a 6 mo. old 19'' Sharp Aquos. Value?

How much value is in a 3 year old DVD player?

I'll also driving down with a new 13' kayak @ $1,300.00 +/-, on top. Now what?

Thanks in adavnce for help on a basic question.

Is there a forum that discusses this stuff at lenght?

Here's something funny, I think. A resident I know down South, highly successful individual up North, said he packs his full size truck, with camper, to the hilt, and goes through the no declare lane, and if he get's a red light, he runs it. Says it takes miles for a cop to catch him then he pays him off.

Makes me nervous just thinking about that. Don't do this and save yourself trouble if the payoff doesn't work.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::coolup:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 10:09 AM

Once in my younger days I got a red light and I was so used to driving right through I spur of the moment decided to just drive right through like I didn't notice...nobody even blinked let alone come after me....hmmmm
I agree with the chance it in the no declare lane...if ya do get stopped just say it's all your camping gear...so what if it's new...its coming down with you and going back...end of story...
People used to tell the crossing guards that bags of clothes were for donations and oddly enough you aren't allowed to bring gifts or donations across so now I just tell my friends to load up a hockey bag (I'm Canadian eh) or baseball bag... whatever and if they ask, it's just your personal clothes. I hate borders!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 10:23 AM
Interesting question.....

bringing something across (south) that I purchased in the US, however made in Mexico.....do I declare????...value of $100 US.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 10:26 AM

Run the red light, then post what happened for our entertainment.:lol:

Last couple of times I went through the declare lane, and pulled up to the booth. One time, with a pickup full of used furniture, he asked if it was new, I said no, he said "Push the button" and I was on my way.

Last time, car with lots of new stuff, I stopped, held out my receipts, she just said "Push the button." Red Light. She had us open the back, took a cursory look, and waved us on.

Later this week? I don't know what I'm doing.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 08:40 PM
San Ysidro Aduana

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Here's something funny, I think. A resident I know down South, highly successful individual up North, said he packs his full size truck, with camper, to the hilt, and goes through the no declare lane, and if he get's a red light, he runs it. Says it takes miles for a cop to catch him then he pays him off.

Makes me nervous just thinking about that. Don't do this and save yourself trouble if the payoff doesn't work.

I would do this in a heartbeat.

I have never met a Mexican Cop on the local, state or federal level who would not accept a properly tendered bribe! God bless 'em! :dudette:
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Run the red light, then post what happened for our entertainment.:lol:

Chino wrote:
I've run the red a couple of times with a guy I used to work for, the time to remember was in a retired RTD bus that we converted to haul building supplies, we had about 17000 lbs of home depot supplies headed for Insurgentes, we ran the light and within 5 mins they "caught" us and with the proper amount we were on our way, a few times later he tried it again and lost the bus, and his wifes new car(that her dad said not to let him drive)
we probably made about 150 crossings in a 18 month period and the responses were always a surprise(pre 9-11) and sometimes rather comical, the supplies were for the poor and never for our own gain so we felt justified in our work, In this day and age I wouldnt want to risk my fredom to travel doing these things and have found many ways to assist folks with an ATM card!

[Edited on 10-9-2006 by chino]

[Edited on 10-9-2006 by chino]
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I agree with the chance it in the no declare lane...if ya do get stopped just say it's all your camping gear...so what if it's new...its coming down with you and going back...end of story...

How much is your integrity worth? And we get all worked up about illegal workers crossing over the border. I'm just trying to find the logic here. Just pay the duty like the law says you are supposed to do.
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 06:00 AM
What logic ????

There appears to be a lack of -----

Quote:
by Oxxo
How much is your integrity worth? And we get all worked up about illegal workers crossing over the border. I'm just trying to find the logic here. Just pay the duty like the law says you are supposed to do.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 08:47 AM

Just a geography point: 'San Ysidro' is in the United States... The thread is about Mexican customs which is in Tijuana.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 09:58 AM
Did a search. Nothing.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just a geography point: 'San Ysidro' is in the United States... The thread is about Mexican customs which is in Tijuana.

Can't find threads under mex customs. No discussion on this stuff?

David: very cool website. Way to go.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 10:08 AM

Ok Lee, here is the story.

Go through declaration if you have things to declare. Your Kayak and other stuff like that does not get declared new or not. Make a manifest of the items you wish to declare, like the TV or lamp or couch. Store the DVD and other items in your clothes bag. Price your items fairly for used, you do not need a store reciept for anything, just a legible short and sweet list. Total at the bottom. They will deduct $50 for you and your companion each, then tax at a rate of 17% - 25%. I went through New Mexicali border on Friday morning with over $2000 worth of lumber for my new house, but priced it lower at a rate of just under $1000. I have a Crew Cab 4x4 and the rack was loaded, the bed was loaded, and my 20' flatbed triple axle trailer was way loaded. They sent me to the bank window (right there) and paid $136, got stamped, and went back to the declaration office and they stamped me as well and we were on our way south. The whole process took about 10 minutes. They did have a look at what I had and quickly looked over my loot.

Now, sometimes they will just ask for a "tax", especially with a handshake, that means no paperwork, I like to have loose bills in my right pocket for when that situation arrises.

There is a limit for building materials of $1000 so I keep my reciepts under that. Not sure about furniture, but get creative, and stash the small stuff in your clothes bags. This is now my third load south in 6 weeks, and I can't wait to go again.

Some years ago, I built an entire house in La Bocana, and hauled everything but the slab and the brick legally across the border, and never had a problem.

Good luck. Contact me if you have any more questions.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 10:21 AM
Outstanding!! This is what I was looking for....

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Ok Lee, here is the story.

No problemas with any of this.

Thanks again.

:cool:

F*ck it.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 04:37 PM

BajaWarrior you have your act together. I wish more would do it your way.

the only thing I might add is buy every thing you can here and save more hassle.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 04:59 PM

Bruce, the purpose of the Declaration lane is to process the importation of materials for both Mexican peoples and Americans alike. That's what they do.

I for one have more time to shop for material in the U.S. and a need for better quality material for my project. As far as household goods go, how many people here would just love to retire that gently used couch or bed or other heirlooms down to their Baja home? I do, in fact I have an entire household being replaced here in the U.S. to take to my new home I'm building down south.

It really is an easy process, people do it all day long.

Lift the taboo! Not a hassle!

Viva Baja! LOL

Haven't had a bad trip yet....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.