Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How many divers on this board
rivergirl
Junior Nomad

Mood: Ready for Baja!

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 11:04 PM
Diving Family.....

I am new to diving got certified this summer but my husband & son 11 years old have been diving for over a year. We will be doing some diving this dec. Our plans will be to do some diving around the islands in bahia Concepcion. Anyone done any diving around there???? (note we have to stay above 40 feet ...as our son can not go deeper...) We both got certified for our son as his love for the water probably comes from his yearly trip to Baja and hours spent in the water snorkeling & discovering the life in the sea. We are excited as this will be a new way for us to discover the beauty of Baja.
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:46 PM
certified 1977 in Hawaii

I have lived in ORANGE COUNTY, CA. most of my life ...

Hard to get excited about buying a wet suit and dragging my tanks across the beach and having 20 feet visability in 65 degree water. :wow::smug::wow:

In Hawaii the water was 75 degrees ... 150 feet visability ... and NO wetsuit ... and I lived on a 58 foot Catamaran ... I just stepped off the side. In a year I made 300 dives.
:o:o:o

I made a dive off the tip of CABO which was fun. When I went around GUARDIAN ANGEL ISLAND in my zodiac ... I dove two tanks at PUERTO REFUGIO on the northern tip and two tanks just south of ISLA ESTANQUE on the southeast corner. It was in November ... the water was 75 degrees ... I didn't need a wetsuit. They were fun dives ... lots of scallops ... :yes::yes::yes:

To this day ... I have never made a dive off SOUTHERN CALIF.
:no::no::no:

:wow::spingrin::o:lol::cool::P:P
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cristobal
I have lived in ORANGE COUNTY, CA. most of my life ...

Hard to get excited about buying a wet suit and dragging my tanks across the beach and having 20 feet visability in 65 degree water. :wow::smug::wow:

In Hawaii the water was 75 degrees ... 150 feet visability ... and NO wetsuit ... and I lived on a 58 foot Catamaran ... I just stepped off the side. In a year I made 300 dives.
:o:o:o

I made a dive off the tip of CABO which was fun. When I went around GUARDIAN ANGEL ISLAND in my zodiac ... I dove two tanks at PUERTO REFUGIO on the northern tip and two tanks just south of ISLA ESTANQUE on the southeast corner. It was in November ... the water was 75 degrees ... I didn't need a wetsuit. They were fun dives ... lots of scallops ... :yes::yes::yes:

To this day ... I have never made a dive off SOUTHERN CALIF.
:no::no::no:

:wow::spingrin::o:lol::cool::P:P

Now this is what I call Bragging:lol:
Good for you Cristobal!;D

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:14 PM

Certified 25 years ago in So cal. Dove mainly off the Truth and Conception outta Santa Barbara, and then Cabo a few times. (Cant believe the Conception was stolen and ran aground at Vandenburg last spring?? Just how does someone steal a 70+ ft boat !!!!)

Hated wetsuits. Moved to Hawaii, free dive out my back yard in Puako for a long time, now on the East side of the Island, ocean a few steps away. Looking forward to diving (free and otherwise) in Baja again. Warm water!!

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by cat127]

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 11:54 PM

There is something in coldwater diving, I can't say what...but it kept me doing it again and again- and called myself an addict or an idiot - why else I did it ( call me a whimp I used a drysuit of course) Just wanted to go and blow bubbles - no matter what VIZ. Or if it was freezing outside.
But lately I'm getting too lazy to carry the extra weight when in the drysuit, and developed an disgust in shivering from cold - guess getting Old.
HEY AlG looking forward to some bragging from you!
You carry the name of the Al G from the Clive Cussler novels- you know that?? Read some of them?

MetriRN

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:58 AM
Another diver here.

♥ to dive. Love liveaboards, will be going to La Paz 10/29 to hopefully swim with some whalesharks (land based), or whatever happens to be there. Anyone who will be in the area at that time feel free to contact me. Dive experience includes Galapagos (lotsa whale sharks there!), Hawaii, Belize, Bonaire, Malaysia, Micronesia, California, Fiji. Up for almost anything u/w.

Photo below: telegraph in pilot house of sunken Hoku Maru in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:29 PM

:?: Think something went wrong with the Photo above??:rolleyes:
maybe you try again??

catwoman888

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 02:30 PM
Diver here too....

... French living in the UK, so my diving so far has been tied to exotic holidays.... Zanzibar, all over the Red Sea, Hawaii, Mexico Cozumel and Cenote diving (which I adored!).... Next year I will do a dry suit specialty and start diving in the UK. Some friends are bragging of the wonderful diving in the Farnes, Shetlands etc... Want to see it for myself.

Just missing that special buddy! whether life partner or not. Started diving with my ex and since we split up I am left to diving with the other buddyless people on liveaboards... and not always very cool!!!

Anyway... I shall be in Baja in 12 days and doing my first Baja dives if my cold clears up!

:bounce::bounce::yes::spingrin::spingrin::bounce:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 03:10 PM

I love agood bottom dive with a cold.
When you come back up it really clears the sinuses !! zGROSS :o:wow::lol:

(Of course a second dive is out)
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 08:45 PM
Another Nomad Diver

I received my certification (PADI) in the Solomon Islands in June 1993. My check out dive was on the Bonegi Wrecks in Guadalcanal. (The Kinugawa and Hirokawa Maru)

I still have a trophy of that first dive in my "round the world" display case......... it's what was left of an 80mm mortar shell that Admiral Fletcher's fleet lobbed in on the fleeing Japanese Supply ships in November 1942.

My dive master Nick Lawson handed the exploded artillery shell to me during the dive and I passed it on to my husband to examine. Unbeknown to me, my darling husband handily stuffed it into his B.C. pouch. :saint:

The dive was unforgettable.

I then had the pleasure of spending the next 10 days diving from the liveaboard "Bilikiki". We dove for a week in Marovo Lagoon, quite near where Jack Kennedy lost the PT-109.

That was the dive trip of a lifetime, the one I judge all others by. :dudette:

The undersea life was......exquisite!!

My goal is to dive the Solomon Islands again and return the shell casing to it's underwater grave.

The National Geographic special "Lost Ships of Guadacanal" by Dr. Robert Ballard is a must see for wreck divers.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 08:46 PM

Probably not a good idea.
Small amounts of gas saturation from a few deep free dives could affect your no-decomp limits a bit. Bottom time is bottom time.

Although I still do 60 minutes at 60 feet (old tables) from the old tables and never had a problem.

DO NOT fly before you are fully de-gassed. I did an afternoon return flight from Grand Cayman after a morning dive to 100 feet and boy did I get the stiff neck ! 6 hours in a tube on O2 is more fun than I planned.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 04:34 AM

Had once a bad experience while diving with a cold - suffered from a reverse block and couldn't ascend therefore, took me 15 minutes to ascend from the last 7m/ ?20ft?.
my sinuses where bunged up and I couldn't get rid of the trapped air inside.Had to descend again untill the pressure and pain ceased (at ard 7m).And then it was a INCH by INCH ascend. OH MAN, that cured me from diving with a cold.

Tissue saturation does also happen in freediving,not as much, but still. The Diving Medics are discussing it still.
A good resource for info on that might be DAN (divers alert network) website,at least you can ask them - they will tell you the latest insights.

Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 03:39 PM

Let's see, the question was "How many divers on this board?" Add me to the list.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 06:55 AM

Just had it again - a cold! Couldn't equalize my ears - so was stuck on deck, while the others went down to the THISTLEGORM Wreck. (Luckily I have been there before!)
Would really appreiciate to hear some tricks from fellow divers, to overcome this problem. Sinus clearing with seawater didn't do the trick,as many other stuff I have put up my nose!!
Except for taking any drugs -which make me feel awful in addition, I would like to collect some NEW tricks.

cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 05:03 PM

Try Tumeric mixed with a little salt water (snort it up) about 2-3 hours before diving - see if that helps. Tumeric makes the sinus drain for about an hour because it is anti-bacterial.

-Cat

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 12:03 AM

:?: TUMERIC? that I use for cooking my Indian style food??

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.