Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: camping trailers
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:35 AM
camping trailers

i came across a deal on a r vision camping trailer a small 12 ft trailer , weight is 1300 lbs any of you jeep cherokee owners in nomad land have any expierence towing with a stock cherokee ,? trailer owner says no problem but wanted to check thanks
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 02:52 PM

What's an r vision camping trialer? I would be interested as we are looking at the prospect also of towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
i came across a deal on a r vision camping trailer a small 12 ft trailer , weight is 1300 lbs any of you jeep cherokee owners in nomad land have any expierence towing with a stock cherokee ,? trailer owner says no problem but wanted to check thanks

Jim...My 4.0 Cherokee pulls that weight, but I can feel it. Have never went over 200 miles, but don't feel it is an issue.
MeMe...your grand Cherokee if equipped with V8 will have no issues, but may with V6, because of your heaver weight.
Someone with that weight ratio and uses it often will be of more help.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 03:09 PM

pulling should not be your greatest concern.....

stopping should be....

trailers could easily "push" you right into trouble:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 03:12 PM

Towing a trailer weighing 1300 pounds may allright for a Cherokee, late model I assume...But, when you start adding your luggage, coolers, dry goods firewood, dog, passengers, chairs, camp table etc....

Towing a 1300 trailer could be a little on the edge of the Cherokee's capacity if you consider the added weight that will follow. SUV's are no more than differant shaped cars suspension wise. There is however information for your vehicle regarding towing in the owners manual, and inside the drivers door on door. Don't forget about tongue weight also. Measure to the ground from any body part on rear of vehicle, and then just place the trailer on the hitch, and measure the differance. If that trailer puts a hurt on the suspension of the Cherokee, you've got to consider your not even done loading the contents of the vehicle and trailer yet. Your headlights will be pointing to the sky above.

Please be careful and don't overload. The ride could be extra squirrel-ly.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 04:52 PM

Jim I went to there website http://www.trail-lite.com/index.asp but could not find the one you are talking about.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 05:28 PM

The two issue Baja warrior mention are not an issue, except if the trailer does not have it's own stopping power. I believe all new trailers today have their own brakes. In California, I believe it is a law.
The hitch weight (mine is 300#) should not be exceeded and my Cherokee can handle that, because I have exceeded it (by a little) without problems.
The last thing is the suspenion far exceeds Street cars. Mine easily carries all my tools and supplies packed top to bottom.
This without excessive rear drop.
I don't mean to be argumentative, just tell my experience.
All said I still don't know if that trailer will work???
Considering all the additional thing that BW said could be added, it may be over the edge.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 05:36 PM

the wind lode is a big factor. how high and wide is it?

I pull a wells cargo type trailer that is 7 feet wide and 6 feet 6 inches tall. the wait is not a problem bu when I get over 50 miles an hour. you can feel the lode build fast.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 05:51 PM

single axel trailers can sway really badi d take it for a pull befor i bought it make sure that you do have the proper tounge weight too much is better then too little

jerry and judi
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 06:19 AM

I towed alot with my XJ including some small cars on a two axle 16' er. I concure with brakes. XJ can just almost stop themselves. I was in Yuma 4 people, luggage, 16' trailer, 800 lbs sand drag car, two banchees, and a bunch of fire wood and stoped right in the middle of a intersection after a red suppriesed me! I went home and got trailer brakes .

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 06:27 AM

Assuming your Jeep has an auto trans, you might want to consider adding some additional cooling. I blew a trans on an Exploder that way.

Aux oil coolers help also, especially if you are towing in the heat. I blew a motor on an Exploder that way.

Anyone want to buy a used '92 Exploder that need a little work ??
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:44 AM

I checked the ratings on the trailer dry weight is 1300 and gross is 1600 lbs plus the springs are rubber looking thingys like are used on the new tear drops ,i test towed it wind really blew it around, after giving it more thought it don,t make sense to pay 2000 to have a place to haul 300 lbs and a bed ,when i can do that with the cherokee , so will pass on the deal . Bruce it was discontinued in 04 by the builders and is a leftover that they have been unable to sell , but thank s all for your responses jim
spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 02:37 PM

http://www.rversonline.org/index.shtml
Check out this site for a lot of info on towing. It really opened my eyes.
Spike

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.