Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Drake's Imperial Stout
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:06 PM

Al ...
Have you ever been to the Pacifico brewery and beer garden in Mazatlan? If for no other reason than just to go there, it's worth the trip.
It's been a long time but Im assuming it's still there.

Go online to Barnes and Noble or Amazon books to see what's available on home-brewing. They'll get you started.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
How does a guy get started brewing? Sure seems technical to me.:?:

Buy this book and you will be off to a great start.

Complete Joy of Homebrewing, 3rd Edition
by Charlie Papazian

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:10 PM

Home brewing isn't really that complicated, start with Ale, it's a bit less temperature restricted etc

I've enjoyed Leon Negro on Cozumel and even occasionally found it in the D.F., but as Dave says of Negra Modelo, it's not a stout. They are both just dark beers.

I love Nochebuena, and it's closer yet, but still not a stout. It's a Bock. (which is why it's only seaonally available) It has an interestiing history, originally only made for family and friends of the German immigrant brewers in Mexico.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:27 PM

Thanks Diver, ...Found and and ordered:
Complete Joy of Homebrewing, 3rd Edition
by Charlie Papazian
+ 3 others.
Also got a little surprize...there are some real coin involved.
I found Homebrew Heavan. Good, bad or ugly???

Oso thanks..Good info

[Edited on 10-14-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 08:50 PM

Charlies is the original Brewing bible.
He doesn't get crazy with techno stuff but has a great hands-on approach.

You normally started by cooking a "wart" with the hops and yeast and other goodies. You syphon and or strain the brew into carboys with an air-bubbler to keep out the bad germs. We collected a few 5 gallon water bottles to use as carboys. Once the brew has reached the proper specific grav and all is well, you can syphon with or without filter into bottles. Most brews will gain head with the leftover yeast and sugar that hasn't died yet. Sometimes you add a little finishing sugar before bottling. Let age from 10 days to a few onths depending on the type of beer and you are ready to taste !

Most important is to keep the equipment clean and sterile at all times. Start saving regular opener style bottles and get a capper when you're ready. Many champagn bottlesd will work, as well. You can get them from most restaurants any weekend night.

We have many interesting and specialty recipes if you get brewing and want some chili beer, Aspen amber (with Spruce tips), apple beer or champaign, wheat beer, meads, ginger beer, dark amber especial, "muddy" stout and more.

Have fun and drink beer !!!
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 08:57 AM

used to make some killer raisin and apple jack when in the navy, then run it through the distiller used for making water for batteries ,din o mite
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 07:35 PM

BajaGeoff...regarding NOCHE BUENA...

I know Dennis said it's available north of the border during the holidays... BUT, I'm not sure that's true. It used to be available, but I'm not sure that it still is due to it's limited production. I've checked many places looking for it and I've never been able to find it.

Amo
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 09:28 PM

REGARDING GOOD BEER...

AL G,
Do you know if their beer is available for sale in liquor stores? Or just in their brewery? Definitely sounds like one I would like to try!!

DIVER...I'M NOT SURPRISED YOU KNOW...

A lot about home brewing and beer. Your area is a hotbed of good brewing and breweries. My brother lives in Redmond and I always enjoy a quick visit to Redhook, which is just 5 minutes from his house. I know there are many more which I've enjoyed while visiting. And all the wineries are not too bad either!!! LOL

I live in San Diego County and we've got several really excellent smaller breweries here too. Some of the better ones are...

STONE BREWING in Escondido - They’ve just opened a new larger brewery and are opening their own restaurant very soon. They're most famous for their “Arrogant Bastard Ale,” but they brew many great beers. I think they're distributed in Washington now and many other states.

PIZZA PORT Brewery and Pizza - in Carlsbad’s downtown Village area, and also in Solana Beach on Hwy. 101. MANY Great Beers! They always win lots of Gold and other medals in National and State brewing contests. Good Pizza too!

Some Others are…GREEN FLASH, KARL STRAUSS & BALLAST POINT

On the way to Baja, either of the Pizza Ports are worth a quick detour for a beer and pizza!!!

Hmmmm…I think I’m gonna have to go and get some now!!!! LOL :light:

Michael :saint:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
I am drinking one of the finest beers I have ever had.
Drake's Brewery is in Oakland. It is called Imperial Stout.
Are stouts brewed in Mexico?

some one please bring me a Drake's Imperial Stout or 2 so I can give a review.:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:54 AM

Home brew is iffy?:?: After a couple, if my ears get warm and start ringing, it's an indication of good brew.:yes: Home brew isn't hard to make, 'bout like cooking up a batch of?:?::?::lol:
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:18 PM

As for the trip in January. I run a 60bbl microbrewery in San Clemente, any supplies and or ingredients that one might need I can make available. I can even provide a few "road sodas" for the weary travelers.
Cheers
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:28 PM

Bruce...You know I will amigo. I will be there somewhere around the 5-6th of December. I'll save one for you too Cap Mike. WoW this gives me a good reason to go to the brewery in San Leandro.
Bruce..will you be there???

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:40 PM

Albert G when you go to the brewery in San Leandrobe sure to take your truck. and yes I will be around here some where

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:48 PM

AmoPescar,
This maybe to much, but here you are. If one of the companeys are in your area, maybe you can get them to inter store ship it to you.

Ahoy, Matie! Thank you for contacting Drinkdrakes.com. If your message
requires a response from us, well contact you within 12-24 hours. Attached is a list
of fine S.F. Bay Area establishments where YOU can discover Drakes!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andronico's Berkeley Solano Ave.
Andronico's Berkeley Telegraph Ave.
Andronico's Berkeley Shattuck Ave.
Andronico's Berkeley University Ave.
Andronico's Emeryville Hollis St.
Andronico's San Francisco Irving St.
Andronico's Los Altos Los Altos Shopping Center
Andronico's Palo Alto Stanford Shopping Center
Andronico's Danvile Railroad Ave.
Andronico's Walnutcreek Locust St.
BARNEY'S BEANERY.............W HOLLYWOOD
BREWERS RENDEZOUS............DOWNEY
Beverages & More (All San Francisco, East Bay and San Mateo Bev-Mo's)
Beverages & More Walnut creek N. Main St. 925-472-0130
Beverages & More San Rafael Francisco blvd. 415-456-8367
Beverages & More Albany San Pablo Ave 510-525-9582
Beverages & More Oakland Embarcadero 510-208-5126
Beverages & More Pleasanton Johnson Dr., 925-416-2083
Beverages & More Orinda Camino Pablo Ave., 925-254-3161
Beverages & More Danville Diablo Ave. 925-820-5050
Beverages & More San francisco Greay St. 415-933-8494
Beverages & More San francisco, Bayshore Blvd. 415-648-1233
Beverages & More (Sacramento Area Bev-Mo's)
Beverages & More CITRUS HIGHTS
Beverages & More ROSEVILLE
Beverages & More SACRAMENTO
Costco Danville/San Ramon
Costco Livermore
Costco Sunnyvale
Costco Santa clara
DONE LICHOURS................FULLERTON
Drakes Brewing Co. San Leandro 1933 Davis St. Suite 177
Amnesia San Francisco 350 Lexington St.
Kilowatt San Francisco 16th st. @ Valencia 415-861-2595
Tarantino's San Francisco Fishermans Warf 415-775-5600
Chieftain San Francisco Howard st. @ 5th. St 415-615-0916
Hobbison Choice San Francisco Upper Haight St 415-621-5859
Casidy's San Francisco Folson St. @ 8th 415-241-9990
Barclay's Oakland 5940 College Ave. 510-654-1650
Ben & Nicks Oakland 5612 College Ave. 510-923-0327
Boulder's Golf Center San Leandro 13575 Lake Chabot Rd. 510-352-4000
Buffalo Bill's Brew Pub Hayward 1082 B Street 510-886-9823
Cassidy's San Francisco Fulton St. 415-241-9990
Cato's Ale House Oakland 3891 Piedmont Ave. 510-655-3349
Plaza bottle shop San Leandro Liberty Ave
Connecticut Yankee San Francisco 100 Connecticutt St. 415-552-4440
Crowbar San Francisco 401 Broadway 415-788-2769
Dave's Bar San Francisco 39 rd Street 415-495-6726
Jacks Bistro Oakland Jack London Square 510-444-7171
Espresso Roma Emeryville 1310 65th St. 510-644-3773
FARR BETTER SPIRITS..........ENCINITAS
Flying sausage San Leandro Joaquin Ave
Great Water San Francisco 373 Broadway St.
The Chieftain San Frnacisco 415-615-0916
Hopyard Alehouse Pleasanton 3015-H Hopyard Rd. 925-426-9600
Hopyard SRV San Ramon 470 Market Place 925-277-9600
House Of Shields San Francisco 29 New Montgomery 415-495-5436
Uno's Pizza Oakland Jack London Square 510-251-8667
Jupiter Berkeley P.O. Box 12194 510-843-8277
La Val's Alameda 891 E. Island
Lanesplitters Berkeley 2033 San Pablo Ave. 510-845-1652
Legions And Heros Concord Port Chicago Hwy. 925-687-4111
Magnolia San Francisco 1398 Haight St. 415-864-7468
Marriott Court Yard San Francisco Folsom & 2nd St. 415-850-7178
Jacks Bistro Oakland Jack London Square 510-444-7171
Pacific Coast Brewing Com Oakland 906 Washington St. 510-836-2739
Pete's Brass Rail Danville 471 EL RIO 925-820-8281
Pig & Whistle San Francisco 2801 Geary Blvd 415-885-4779
Porky's Pizza San Leandro 1221 Manor Blvd. 510-357-4323
Raleigh's Berkeley 2438 Telegraph Ave. 510-848-8652
Round Table Pizza Pleasanton 530 Main St. 925-461-0140
Sergio's San Leandro 150 West Juana 510-895-0880
George & Walts Oakland College Ave 510-653-7441
Thalassa Berkeley 2367 Shattuck Ave.
The Chieftain San Francisco 198 5th Street 415-615-0916
Ti Couz San Francisco 3108 16th Street 415-252-7373
Toronado San Francisco 547 Haight St. 415-863-2276
Vintage Cellar Bistro Hayward 1001 B St. 510-868-8525
Old Hang Out Concord Concord Ave 925-682-4760
Lafayette Chow Lafayette Down town 925-962-2469
Round Hill Country Club Danville 925-831-3046
Zachary's Oakland 5801 College Ave.
Quinn's Lighthouse Oakland 51 Embaradero Cove 510-536-2050
Kensington Circus Kensington 389 Colusa Ave. 510-524-8814
Zeitgeist San Francisco 199 valencia 415-431-6891
Roma Pizza San Rafael 3670 North Gate Drive
Place Pigalle San Francisco 520 Hayes 415-552-2671
Alcatel Berkeley 6363 Telegraph Ave.
Solano Bar & Grill Albany 1133 Solano Ave. 510-525-8686
Masses' Pleasanton 925-463-8181
Embassy Suites Hotel S. San Francisco 250 Gateway Blvd. 650-589-3400
Mountain Mike's Pizza San Leandro 2150 Marina Blvd.
Horatio's San Leandro 60 San Leandro Marina 510-351-5556
Club Mallard Albany 752 San Pablo Ave.
La Penne Pizza Pub & Past Moraga 13750 Moraga Road
Albatross Berkeley 1822 San Pablo Ave. 510-337-9950
Slow Club San Francisco 2501 Mariposa
Legend & Hero's Alameda Alameda Golf Course
DaVinci's Oakland 1814 Franklin St. 510-444-0900
Fulton Street Bar San Francisco 1785 Fulton Street 415-292-7564
Monarch Bay Golf Club San Leandro 13800 Neptune Drive
Parkside San Francisco 1600 17th St.
Bears Lair Brew Pub Berkeley 2475 Beaucroft 510-843-4677
Monteclair Bar & Restaura Oakland 2477 Monterey Blvd.
Enrico's San Francisco 504 Broadway
Ricky's Sports Theatre San Leandro 15028 Hesperian Blvd. 510-352-0200
U.K. Cafe Livermore 190 E. J Street 925-447-7344
Jackson liquors Lafayette 925-284-4100
Moraga liquors Moraga 925-376-6111
Harbor Bay Club Alameda 510-521-5414
Barclay's J.L.S. Oakland 101 Broadway St.
Park Chow San Francisco 1240 9th Ave. 415-665-9912
First Street Ale House Livermore 811 El Caminio
Chow San Francisco 215 Church St. 415-552-2469
Dave's Bar San Francisco 3rd St. Off Market 415-495-6726
McGee's Alameda 1645 Park St.
First & Last Chance Saloo Oakland 56 Jack London Square
Marriott Hotel San Francisco 2nd Street 415-947-0700
Banzai Garlic Bistro Alameda 2314 Central Ave.
WHOLE FOODS CAMBELL
WHOLE FOODS CUPERTINO
WHOLE FOODS PALO ALTO
WHOLE FOODS SAN MATEO
WHOLE FOODS PASADENA
WHOLE FOODS SAN DIEGO
WHOLE FOODS SANTA CLARITA
WHOLE FOODS SHERMAN OAKS
BARNEY'S BEANERY W HOLLYWOOD
BREWERS RENDEZOUS DOWNEY
DONE LICHOURS FULLERTON
DOME LICHOURS FULLERTON
FARR BETTER SPIRITS ENCINITAS
GREEN JUG FINE WINE WOODLANDS
HI TIME CELLARS COSTA MESA
HOLLONGSHEAD ORANGE
IBERRIA REST MENLO PARK
KEG AND BOTTLE SAN DIEGO
LA BODEGA RIVERSIDE
LUCKY BALDWINGS PASADENA
MOLLIE STONES BURLINGAME
ROSEN CROWN PUB PALO ALTO
SAN ANTONIO LIHOURS MOUNTAIN VIEW
SPARTAN STADIUM SAN JOSE
VENDOME STUDIO CITY
WINDY CITY EL CAJON
LIQUARAMA UPLAND
LICHOUR BANK PARADISE
ESPANOL REST SACRAMENTO
GLENSHIRE GENERAL STORE TRUCKEE
JACK POT FOOD ROSEVILLE
KINGS LICHOUR SO LAKE TAHOE
LICHOUR WHSE BENICIA
RED CARPET LICHOUR SACRAMENTO
STOP AND SHOP ROSEVILLE
NEW MOON NATURAL FOODS TAHOE CITY
SELECT FINE WINE & LICHOUR SACRAMENTO
J&S MKT REDDING
THE LICHOUR BARN REDDING
THE BREW GUILD CHICO
ZERLOFF HOTEL SIERRA CITY
CHICO NATURAL FOODS CHICO
NORTH AVE SHELL CHICO

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 01:23 PM

Amopascar..There are a few down south, but if you cannot get any, maybe I can drop you off a couple bottles in Carlsbad.

Albert G

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 03:42 PM

THANK YOU...AL G for going to all the time and trouble to answer my question!!!

I really appreciate your offer, but no need to drop any off. I see a couple of places on the list where I can buy it. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I really like a good Stout beer.

Muchas Gracias!!
Tu Amigo, Michael
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.