Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Upcoming trip to San Rafael/Francisquito
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 11:45 AM
Upcoming trip to San Rafael/Francisquito

Just a few questions for people who have been to this area.
1. What is the road condition from Bahia de los Angeles?
2. Are ice, beer and tacos/food available in San Francisquito?
3. Is the gas station in Bahia de los Angeles open most of the time?
4. Is there a prefered camping spot at San Rafael?
Any hot tips on Jurel fishing would also be appreciated. We will be there the 2nd week of November.
Thanks all!
Martyman
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 12:09 PM

Yes, curious as well.
Is it possible (a good idea) to take a 24' trailer through Los Arcos to Francisquito ?
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 12:54 PM

Martyman

I haven't made that trip for a few years but the road was good between Bahia and San Francisquito in 2004. Surely someone else with more current information will help you here. Ice, beer, and food are erratic at San Francisquito, most times yes but not always. Best to be prepared. November is a great month in my experience, both for weather and jurel. The jurel fishing at that time of year is pretty straightforward, most of the action is on the surface so just chase the birds/boils.

Have a great time, San Francisquito is one of the best places in the world.

++Ken++
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 02:02 PM

I'll be at PSR about Nov 3rd and will post an update when I get home. As for camping at PSR, there are a number of options. Best to stop by and introduce yourself to Pancho. He'll show you around. Do a search on this site and you'll get plenty of info.

Zac

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 05:53 PM

Zac,

I searched.
No info I can find on the road in.
Any info would be appreciated.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Yes, curious as well.
Is it possible (a good idea) to take a 24' trailer through Los Arcos to Francisquito ?

'El Arco'? A better road from Hwy. 1 was to go in via Guillermo Prieto (jcn. is 8 miles nortwest of Vizcaino) and head north... but NOT with a trailer that size.

L.A. Bay south is a better road to trailer in on, but I would not say that is a great idea...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 06:59 PM

Diver-

Most likely, I will be heading to PSR from Vizcaino and heading north returning to Hwy 1 via BoLA. As for a trailer, I definately agree with David. I would not suggest coming in from the south. And, I would not suggest heading to PSF from the north. There are two long climbs on both sides of PSF that can get a bit torn up and tight..especially if there is any Baja 1000 traffic. But, driving south to PSR shouldn't be a problem.

I last did the drive in mid December. The road crews were out between Animas and PSR. They were putting in new vados and paving the road. But, with all the rain this summer, who knows.

I will be back on Nov. 4 and will post an update.

If you need anything else, feel free to U2U me or post.

Zac

[Edited on 10-14-2006 by Bajaboy]

RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 08:39 PM

Martyman,

Just Returned from a trip to our place in BOLA this week. I can tell you the gas station closed by 5 p.m. every day as we made the trip to town from camp Gecko and missed getting gas at 5:30.

My son and I took the road south from Camp Gecko on our nightly rides. The farthest was about 18 miles south of Town. The only bad section on this normally great section of road was about a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 miles south of Town. Several wash outs from Recent rains. Unless you are Towing a big trailer or driving a big RV should be no problems here. If they don't fix these wash outs before the 1000 should be a great place to watch the action. Can't comment on your other questions.

Tom

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 05:42 AM

check BBP for PSFO updates, but the news is...............
no ice, down to 4 palapas as Juan blew anothrer one's roof off!!
Genaro not fixing much. fishing good. no veduras fresca .

bring your own everything!

i would NEVER attempt to take a 24' anything on that road!!

wanna fly in? just call me.:D

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 08:04 PM

On 10/2/2006 the road from BOLA to as far as we went (Las Animas) was about normal.

First 5 miles or so to Camp Gecko roads is very bumpy but that is all. Then there are few miles with a couple narrow, deep and small washouts. Some folks made a bypass to the EAST but it is slow going for a couple of hundred yards. You do NOT need 4wd or anything just go slow and some ground clearance (no low slung cars, any 2wd pickup or van would have no problems). Never towed a 24' trailer but it is a Baja Dirt Road. Would have to think it might be a little rough unless you went real slow.

After that pretty much smooth sailing.

You would probably shake that thing as much on that 75 miles of road as would happen on 200,000 miles of pavement...

Who knows what it will be like in another couple of weeks...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.