Printable Version  
Author: Subject: California Coastal Commission Sea Turtle Resolution
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-26-2002 at 09:07 PM
California Coastal Commission Sea Turtle Resolution

From Wallace J. Nichols:
(for those that don't know, Mr. Nichols spends a lot of time in Puerto San Carlos pertaining to his research of sea turtles. See him in a sea turtle "round up" here: http://www.oxygengroup.com/specialprojects/bajaturtles2002.h... ...and his bio here: http://www.wildcoast-usa.com/ContactDetails.asp?CId=4 ):

FYI, this resolution (see link for pdf) is a good step towards getting
greater recognition for California's sea turtles, and ETP sea turtles in
general. Most people don't even know we have sea turtles along our coast!
We will leverage this resolution to involve additional groups and agencies
in the successful sea turtle conservation efforts underway in our region.

Download the PDF of the resolution in the context of the Dec 10 Coastal Commission meeting.

Please send/fax/phone supportive comments regarding this resolution, prior
to Dec 10, to:

California Coastal Commission
45 Fremont Street
Suite 2000
San Francisco, CA
94105-2219
Tel (415) 904-5200
Fax (415) 904-5400

J.

[Edited on 11-27-2002 by BajaNomad]

Attachment: seaturtle-mm2.pdf (92kB)
This file has been downloaded 847 times

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2002 at 11:25 PM

I tried to download the PDF with the resolution, but just get a blank screen. Am I doing something wrong? - Stephanie
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-27-2002 at 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie Jackter
I tried to download the PDF with the resolution, but just get a blank screen. Am I doing something wrong? - Stephanie

Try to pick it up here if it's not working through the forum:

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/legal/seaturtle-mm2.pdf
wjnichols

[*] posted on 12-16-2002 at 11:37 AM
Commission unanimously passes sea turtle resolution

A Christmas Present for California's Sea Turtles
California Coastal Commission Resolves to Make California?s Waters Safe for Endangered Sea Turtles

San Francisco, CA (December 13, 2002) ? WiLDCOAST, international conservation team, and the Turtle Island Restoration Network announced today that the California Coastal Commission, in a unanimous vote, resolved to support conservation programs and the creation of safe habitat for rare and endangered sea turtles that make a home off California?s coasts.

Almost completely unknown to California residents, California?s coastal waters support four of the world?s seven species of sea turtles: Olive Ridley, Loggerhead, Green, and Leatherback turtles.

?Because these animals don?t come ashore to nest here, many Californians are unaware that our waters host these beautiful creatures,? said Reuven Walder, marine biologist for the Turtle Island Restoration Network, who recently witnessed the unusual landing of an olive ridley turtle on a beach in Tomales Bay, north of San Francisco.

Rare turtle sightings are also due to the fact that sea turtle populations are dwindling because of human-induced threats, like careless industrial fishing practices, illegal trade in sea turtle meat, and ocean pollution. Although all species of sea turtle are listed as endangered, threatened or vulnerable pursuant to the Endangered Species Act and international conservation treaties, scientists project that the Pacific Leatherback turtle could go extinct within the next decade, followed by others, if immediate steps are not taken to protect existing populations and important sea turtle habitat.

The California Coastal Commission resolution supports conservation efforts being made by groups like WiLDCOAST and the Turtle Island Restoration Network and urges the public and responsible agencies to take appropriate actions to contribute to these organizations? conservation goals. ?It feels great to be able to go home and tell my family that ?I helped save sea turtles today,?? said Commissioner Pedro Nava of Santa Barbara. ?Sea turtles are magnificent ancient creatures and possess inestimable intrinsic value to current and future generations.?

Dr. Wallace J. Nichols, Co-Director of WiLDCOAST and sea turtle biologist, added, ?Because it is an El Ni?o year, we will probably see more sea turtles in California?s waters than we normally do. It is really up to our generation to turn things around for sea turtles. These animals have roamed our oceans for 100 million years, we can?t let them slip away now.?

He also noted that the resolution comes in time for Christmas, a particularly deadly season for endangered sea turtles. According to Dr. Nichols, as many as 5,000 turtles will meet with poachers nets in coming weeks and be served as a traditional holiday dish in Mexico and among the Hispanic community in U.S. border regions. Though it has been illegal to harvest and consume sea turtle for over a decade, black market demand for endangered sea turtle meat remains widespread.

?The California Coastal Commission has given a tremendous Christmas present to California?s sea turtles, ? said Dr. Nichols. ?I urge Californians to do their part to help save these animals - talk to your families and your neighbors about this issue and prevent endangered sea turtles from being eaten this holiday season.?

Specifically, the California Coastal Commission resolved to:

*Ensure to the maximum extent possible that California?s waters shall remain biologically productive and healthy enough to support viable populations of sea turtles;

*Urge the United States Fish and Wildlife Service and National Marine Fisheries Service to work closely with Mexican law enforcement and resource agencies to halt the illegal trade in endangered sea turtle meat;

*Urge consumers and retailers to follow sustainable seafood guidelines such as those published by the Audubon Society and the Monterey Bay Aquarium;

*Urge the National Marine Fisheries Service to issue regulations modifying Turtle Excluder Device regulations;

*Urge the public and responsible government agencies to reduce the discharge of trash into ocean waters; and

*Encourage lawful efforts by non-governmental organizations to challenge the World Trade Organization?s interpretation of the international Turtle Excluder Device policies that are contributing to the global decline in sea turtle populations.

TO VIEW THE CALIFORNIA COASTAL COMMISION RESOLUTION - http://www.wildcoast.net/imgs/CaCstCom_Final_ST_Res_2002.pdf

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.