Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick Scout Trip
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 01:47 PM
Quick Scout Trip

I originally want to scout a place to watch the B1K and also to prerun the new section near Loreto. But things don't always turn out the way it's first planned. Two of my friends couldn't go so I decided to make it a quick trip for a race watch site.

After some business in San Diego I crossed at Tecate picking up my tourist visa and headed to Ensenada. A non-eventful drive thru wine country. I picked up the Mulege DVDs at the cafe with many thanks to Gene and his wife. I then started for San Felipe watching for where the race comes near the hwy. I did see a few prerunners but not many. Going down zoo road to Bajalou's I noticed a truck following me and as I pulled into Lou's place it did too. It was Lou. He had just returned from his trip. I gave him the DVDs and we chatted for a while then I left for Gonzaga Bay. Before leaving town I stopped at my favorite hambuger place AM/PM. As I left town I was thinking I should have had a nice sit down dinner. But the burgers tasted great, they should since I hadn't eaten since breakfast. It's going on 6pm. The new pavement stopped about 5 or 6 miles from Puertecitos. I stop for some AA batteries for my GPS but they didn't have any. I go on to Gonzaga Bay.

It's about 9:30pm and the gas station is closed and the store was too. I go down the road a mile or two and turn off to find a camp site. Such a clear sky with a cool slow wind. After my nightcap I turn in. I always seem to sleep good under the Baja sky. I awake at 7am to hear a couple of motorcycles go by in the distance. I make coffee and have a can of chunky chicken soup. I pack up and head back to the store. While getting ice I meet a guy chasing some motorcycles. We exchange where we're going etc. and he heads out. I gas up and while doing so about 6 motorcycles pull up for gas, they were with the chase truck man. We exchange good luck etc. and I start down the road.

About 12 miles further I catch up with the chase truck just as it was crossing a washout. On the otherside was a blue ford car and a man standing beside it. The chase truck pulls up past it and as I go past it I ask the man if he's OK. He says he needs gas. So I pull over and tell the chase truck driver what the man said and that I'd help him. The chase truck takes off. I get my gas can out and walk back and start putting gas in his car. We talk while I'm doing it. He's about 5'3'' 140 lbs 57 yrs old with lots of dental work. He says he's from the state of Guerrero south of Mexico City. He's been in San Luis but didn't like it because the people treated him badly. He was now going to Loreto. After I empty the gas can I'm putting the lid on and I 'm thinking to myself, he never said thanks nor offered to pay. Not saying gracias in Mexico after one helps you was something I had not witnessed before. I walk over to my truck and put the gas can back in the bed. I see him coming around the passenger side of the car with a 1x3 board about 3 feet long and a antifreeze jug. He says he need to put water in the radiator. He lifts the hood and puts the board in to hold the hood up. A couple of the bikes come by and I give them the thumbs up. He ask me if I'm with the motos and I said yes. He then lifts the radiator resovoir lid and puts about a cup of water in. He lifts the wind shield washer cap and puts even less in. He asks how many more motos are coming. I said 4 yet to come. I then notice the rod that holds the hood up was in good condition and in place. He could have used it to hold the hood but didn't. At this time I'm getting a gut feeling that not all is right here. He's making busy with his hands, really doing nothing. I think it best to move on. So I ask him if he's OK and I need to go. He says he's OK and I left. While driving away I see he gets into the car but I didn't see it move.

I give the guy 5 gallons of gas with no thank you or offer to pay. He doesn't attemp to start the car after the gas is put in. He wants to know if I'm with the motocycles and how many more are coming. He uses a board to hold the hood when the rod appears OK and he makes busy doing really nothing. It may be nothing and I hope it is, but that's the first time I've ever had my gut tell me to leave.

I go on down to Cocos where the motocycles and chase truck are. I only tell them and Coco that the guy is coming if he don't have any more problems. But I thought he was in the wrong place with what he was driving. I have a drink and drop off some 7-up and other things for Coco. and visit for about an hour. The guy in the blue car never showed up. I tell Coco where I'm going and take off on the race course. I stop to look around the Calamajue mission site. The sign with historical facts about the mission is a blank, probably from the sun??? A new one should be put up. I get back on the race course. There was only one place where I thought my Toyota truck might have problems crossing a rather deep water hole. It should be interesting on race day especially for the motorcycles. At RM321 I'm on hills where I want to be to watch the race. I see the side road back to hwy 1 and take it. It comes out on hwy 1 at KM251. A good road.

I now head down hwy 1 looking for the second road into San Antonio. Between KM270 and KM271 is a good dirt road to the west and I take it. 9.5 miles in is a jct. To the left is San Antonio another 2.5 miles and to the right is the normal road to hwy1 at KM252. There is a new house being built along the mtn base to the west near the jct. I go to San Antonio then back out to hwy1 at KM252. I make it to Santo Tomas and stay in the hotel.

Up early Sunday and off to Ensenada and hwy3 to Tecate. I arrive at the border at 9:15 and have to wait 2 full hours, crossing at 11:15.

It was a fast trip that was both fun, exciting and with some mystery.

[Edited on 10-23-2006 by TW]
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 09:08 AM

Tom good looking out. It seems like you just never know anymore who you can help and who is seting you up. Even on the dirt roads in the back country. It's sad for the people who honestly need some help, because we might not stop for fear of being a victim. Glad to hear you found your viewing spot for the B1K. I wish I was out there prerunnig also, but the money and time off from work wasn't working out for me this race. Oh well, I'll be down at the sulfur mine watching and having a good time. We will be ready for the SF 250 and 500 though. Also, looking forward to doing the CODE McMillin 500 from Mexicali to San Felipe and back to Mexicali next year. Those hamburgers from Am/Pm must be really great to pass up all those good taco stands in SF.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 09:25 AM

That didn't sound good at all Tom. But glad all went OK and you found your spot for the race.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 05:57 PM

Thanks Lou.

Paul we'll be ready to help in your races next year. I gotta tell those AM/PM bugers and dogs in San Felipe are very very good. Much better than at a AM/PM in the states. They got everything to put on them not just something in a little plastic bag. But in the end I do like all the great resturant food in San Felipe. When I got thru the border I stopped at the first AM/PM on the way to San Diego. The bun was hard, no tomatoes, and the onions were still frozen together. I ate it but didn't like it very well.
elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 07:43 AM

Shoulda come by for that ice-cold "Olde English 800" -- canNOT GIVE it away!

A retired investor, living on a pension
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 07:59 AM

I think you were so smart to tell them you were with the motorcycles and there were 4 more coming. I'm afraid of what might have happened if you hadn't.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elchinero
Shoulda come by for that ice-cold "Olde English 800" -- canNOT GIVE it away!

Sorry I didn't stop by. I can't believe there is no one to appreciate the fine taste from the old brew masters.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:10 AM

I could sure appreciate some of that. where are you?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:24 AM

Pete's @ SF: stashed by "TW" for those harsh afternoons!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 09:44 AM

Bruce I usually have some in my cooler. If I'm in Mulege I'll share it with you. A funny story behind the Olde English goes back to 2003. My brother and I were prerunning the Baja 1000 course along the pacific near the Catavina area with Stuart Chase and some of his friends. One of the guys named Eric drove a Toyota Tundra and was taking it easy, not pushing the pedal too hard. We stopped and had a beer break and Eric and Scott were out of beer. I had several Olde English 800s and shared with them. We took off and as we drove the Trunda went faster and faster, pretty soon he was haulin. The next stop they got out and really started bad mouthing the Olde English. They would never drink another one of those pieces of crap. We however pointed out that they sure picked up the pace after drinking it. They said they were so busy complaining about the taste they forgot how fast they were really going. To us it was pretty funny.
theduece

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 04:34 PM

sad to hear about these things. quick thinking on your part though it is a sad day to hear of it.
TW do you happen to remember where that water crossing you spoke of is?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 07:29 PM

theduece, I would be guessing but probably between RM 310 and RM314. It was probably closer to RM310 because most of the water is after you get into the wash and it was the last nasty crossing I went thru. I really wasn't looking for a way around and the bushes were really close in. There may be a much better way around it in the same section. If I was racing a bike I would spend some time in there looking for a better way.
elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 07:37 PM

Teeub

might (!) be a better way thru but you'd have to
a) prerun
b) flag it

looks way complicated if at night. 2004 we went thru in daylight, so cannot say

off-line looks like big rx in weeds

theduece

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 09:24 PM

Thanks guys not looking to go around I am on a bike butt I am only spectating
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 02:36 PM

Actually on a hot day it could be fun to splash thru there on a bike.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 11:04 AM

theduece come on out to RM321. We'll be there spectating, silver GMC Z71 with Honda XR250 in it. Easy access (not on race course) to/from hwy1 at KM251. We hope to get there Wednesday night, if late, Thursday morning. Depends on how long we spend at contingency.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Bruce I usually have some in my cooler. If I'm in Mulege I'll share it with you. A funny story behind the Olde English goes back to 2003. My brother and I were prerunning the Baja 1000 course along the pacific near the Catavina area with Stuart Chase and some of his friends. One of the guys named Eric drove a Toyota Tundra and was taking it easy, not pushing the pedal too hard. We stopped and had a beer break and Eric and Scott were out of beer. I had several Olde English 800s and shared with them. We took off and as we drove the Trunda went faster and faster, pretty soon he was haulin. The next stop they got out and really started bad mouthing the Olde English. They would never drink another one of those pieces of crap. We however pointed out that they sure picked up the pace after drinking it. They said they were so busy complaining about the taste they forgot how fast they were really going. To us it was pretty funny.

thanks TW I hope to see you:bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

theduece

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 05:11 PM

TW thanx for the invite.
Do you know if there is an alternate to and from the course south of puertecitos??? I am unfamilliar with anything farther south and do not want to head back to camp backwards on the course.

I will be getting to san felipe on wednesday early am and was planning on a couple of scouting trips south. I will be on a ktm 525xc with significant other on a crf230 feel free to stop me to bs along the way

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.