BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Have you seen this beetle?
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 09:54 PM
Have you seen this beetle?

Just keeping thread current. Thank you.

After the first good soaking rain in the fall, male Pleocoma beetles make their appearance. Commonly called "rain beetles," Pleocoma (plee-oh-coma) typically are active during the winter season and are often seen flying just before, during or shortly after rainfall. The best time to collect Pleocoma is during early morning flights when males will be actively seeking the females. They will also fly at dusk and for a few evenings subsequent to rainfall. They are often attracted by porch lights or other sources of light at night. Adult beetles are about 1-inch long (about the size of an olive), dark brown or black, and very hairy (see photos below). They are harmeless and do not sting or bite.

The Pleocoma family contains about 30 different species scattered throughout the wooded hills and mountains between northern Baja California (but probably occur farther south - hence my inquiry) and southern Washington. They live as grubs in the soil, surviving on roots of trees and shrubs, or in rotting plant material. They don't seem to cause a problem to the plants however, since they don't dig, but chew their way through the soil.

The best chance to see them is at night or early morning during or after the first significant rains of the year. If you find one, would you please put it any suitable container with some dry tissue paper and keep it in the refrigerator (or a cool place). The specimens are needed for scientific studies.

Muchas gracias.

[Edited on 01/01/06 by bugdude]

pleo99.JPG - 27kB

A man\'s reach should exceed his grasp - or what\'s a heaven for?

Robert Browning
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 09:57 PM

Those are those beetles all over my screen doors when the weather is hot!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 11:21 AM

Additional photo of Pleocoma - Rain Beetles.

pleocoma.jpg - 8kB

Robert Browning
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 07:31 PM

Something else to avoid in BAJA......;D
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 07:59 PM

So Jim,

What's new with the Baja girlfriend ?? :rolleyes:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bugdude
If you find one, would you please put it any suitable container with some dry tissue paper and keep it in the refrigerator (or a cool place). The specimens are needed for scientific studies.

OK, I'll bite... you really keep these guys in your refrigerator? And then.... :?::rolleyes:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 04:41 PM
beetle

In Nopolo today one that looked almost exactly like that crash landed on the front of my shirt, and I was able to grab it and examine it closely. The legs didn't seem quite as hairy, but otherwise very much like your photo. I know that the known number of beetle species is past 50,000, so similars must abound, but maybe... It did rain here Tuesday, and, of course, during TS John.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 09:01 PM

BUGDUDE.

Just got back from my Beach House below San Felipe. There were at least 30 at one time of those beatles on my screen doors at one time. They remind me of June Bugs. Anyway, heading back down Thursday November 9th for four days, if you need them, I will collect them.

You mentioned storing them in a refrigarator, do you need them alive? Or just preserved cold. I live in San Diego. Where are you located?

Also, I am seeing only males, the darker ones, could look closer for females.

Let me know.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 10:47 PM

diver...she is still around:spingrin:....but if she knew about these bugs it may be a different story.....;)
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
You really keep these guys in your refrigerator?

The cooler temperatures of a refrigerator will help preserve the specimens indefinitely until I can make arrangements to get them. They will also be fine in any suitable container. Thank you.
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
In Nopolo today one that looked almost exactly like that crash landed on the front of my shirt, and I was able to grab it and examine it closely. The legs didn't seem quite as hairy, but otherwise very much like your photo.

I am not familar with the Nopolo area. I would expect these beetles to occur in forested or chaparral habitats. There is an ancient record for Alamos, in norBaja. Check my description above, particularly size and associated habitat(s) where you encountered the specimen. One good clue you mentioned though is that it had rained recently. There is a plethora of info on the WWW. Thank you very much.

Quote:
I know that the known number of beetle species is past 50,000, so similars must abound.

Actually, estimates are probably closer to 4.5 million worldwide and growing. I have heard that only 10-20% of the Amazon has been studied.

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 12:21 PM

Bugdude, I sent you a u2u, I hoping you would give me an idea of the spider under the OP ...mystery spider...thanks in advance

I hear the whales song
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Just got back from my Beach House below San Felipe. There were at least 30 at one time of those beatles on my screen doors at one time. They remind me of June Bugs. Anyway, heading back down Thursday November 9th for four days, if you need them, I will collect them.

You might fill me in on the surrounding habitat and weather conditions when you see the beetles you are referring to as that will help me ascertain what it is you are getting at your screen door (e.g., time of day or night, any rain recently, type of habitat).

Quote:
You mentioned storing them in a refrigarator, do you need them alive? Or just preserved cold. I live in San Diego. Where are you located?

The specimens do not need to be alive. In nature, the beetles you might encounter flying will be the males. They are only active for a few weeks out of the year depending on precipitation patterns. Adults do not feed, and evolution has provided them without "proper" mouth parts for eating or digesting food.

I am in southern Arizona, but travel extensively throughout the southwest.

Quote:
Also, I am seeing only males, the darker ones, could look closer for females.

The females of this genus do not fly (see photos posted above) nor do they possess wings capable of sustained flight. Their sole purpose is to mate and lay eggs under ground. Their only evidence is a quarter-sized hole that goes straight down.

Thank you very much. I apologize to the forum if all this beetle info is hard to follow. Please feel free to U2U me if needed for further information.

Robert Browning
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 01:20 PM

Hey, Bugdude, Keep bugging us on the forum, it is very interesting.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 03:28 PM

Bugdude,

You got it, they are literally everywhere. As far as rain, there was some pretty hard rain 6 weeks ago, (remnant of Hurricane John), and again two weeks ago (light rain), and again this past Friday night we got a sprinkle in the middle of the night.

The desert surrounding us is very dry until you get to the mountains west of us 30 miles away where it starts to green up from many water sources from Picacho del Diablo, over 10,000 feet high. We will be taking a drive or ride into the desert and will give you a disk of our pictures of the area, including the beach where our home is and the beetles actually clinging on to the screen or just hanging around on the ground. They also slip in when the door is open and go after the lights, like most bugs.

Any idea of how many you might want? Actually this will be a lot of fun, we have two kids and we'll get them involved as well.

We will be back home on Monday November the 13th.

bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Hey, Bugdude, Keep bugging us on the forum, it is very interesting.

Thank you. I will do what I can to help out. Your interest is appreciated.

Robert Browning
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
You got it, they are literally everywhere. As far as rain, there was some pretty hard rain 6 weeks ago, (remnant of Hurricane John), and again two weeks ago (light rain), and again this past Friday night we got a sprinkle in the middle of the night.

Great observations! Recent rain is the best indicator for finding rain beetles.

Quote:
The desert surrounding us is very dry until you get to the mountains west of us 30 miles away where it starts to green up from many water sources from Picacho del Diablo, over 10,000 feet high. We will be taking a drive or ride into the desert and will give you a disk of our pictures of the area, including the beach where our home is and the beetles actually clinging on to the screen or just hanging around on the ground. They also slip in when the door is open and go after the lights, like most bugs.

Photos of the beetles and associated habitat will help tremendously.

Quote:
Any idea of how many you might want? Actually this will be a lot of fun, we have two kids and we'll get them involved as well.

Until I can verify the beetles you have, a few will suffice for the moment.

Children are often the best collectors.

Thank you very much for your interest and enthusiasm. Feel free to U2U me for personal contact information.
bugdude
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 06:48 PM

Another photo of a male Rain Beetle.

rainbtl01.JPG - 22kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.