BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3-4 months w/2 dogs. Trailer or pre-arranged house rentals? Just need some ideas
dcsam

[*] posted on 10-27-2006 at 09:32 PM
3-4 months w/2 dogs. Trailer or pre-arranged house rentals? Just need some ideas

Hoping somebody here can offer some suggestions. I'm planning on taking 3-4 months off next Jan. Feb. March. April. We're thinking of doing 1 or 2 months on the mainland (i.e., Melaque, San Pancho) and the next 2 months on the Baja P. So... where to begin???

- Do we purchase a camper for our Dodge Dakota or for our Subaru Forester?

-Is it possible to take a ferry across from Mazatlan?

-Would it be better to have house rentals pre-arranged or do a camper thing?

-Pop-up camper...what would you suggest?

-We will be bringing our 2 dogs

-Suggested itineraries?

-Really... so much to consider. Where do we begin?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Caroline
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 10-27-2006 at 09:37 PM

we were considering a pop up...someone said "consider the bathroom situation"...we cross that off the list. Dogs - EZ, just carry their current vaccinations records with you. Yes, you can take the ferry from Mazatlan to the BP. Pre-arranged house rentals would be great but at that time of year in Baja Sur I think might be difficult, especially if short term. We are in Baja Norte so can't offer much more to you!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2006 at 10:36 PM

Bring the camper; it's easier with the dogs.
I would do a light pop-up camper rather the tow a trailer.
They have a consistent living situation and will be happier.
Also no problems with finding a hotel that takes dogs.
You will save big buck with camping over hotels.
Many campgrounds have showers and potties but you will always be able to camp on a deserted beach for a few days.
House rentals would be an option but often very hard to arrange in Baja or very expensive (to my standards).

Yes, there is a ferry from Mazatlan but it is long and the ferry from Guymas to Santa Rosalia is easier/shorter/cheaper.

We travel with two large dogs and used a pick-up camper before we added two kids and got the trailer.

Camping freedom also puts you in a position to meet many more interesting people !! and Nomads !
spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:47 AM

I think camping is the way to go in Baja. There are lots of great looking places. I have only checked out a couple in person, but if you check out this link you can get on the ground info about just about every camping spot in Baja and all of Mexico. http://www.ontheroadin.com/index.html
Have Fun
Spike
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spike
I think camping is the way to go in Baja. There are lots of great looking places. I have only checked out a couple in person, but if you check out this link you can get on the ground info about just about every camping spot in Baja and all of Mexico. http://www.ontheroadin.com/index.html
Have Fun
Spike

Hay Spike it seems that most of the info on that site is for sale. us Nomads share info free.:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 09:32 AM

Hi Bruce,
Just scroll past the pay stuff and go to the map of Mexico, then just click on the part of Mexico you want to check out and there is a lot of info and most of the times pictures of campgrounds just about everywhere and it is all free.
Spike
dcsam

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 07:37 PM

Whoa! You're all very helpful! Thank you so much!
We did consider the house rental thing, but anything relatively nice is big bucks, so we're now leaning towards hauling a pop-up camper. Think a Subaru Forester could handle that? I was doing some searching last night, and came across a 'pop-up' that seemed very solid (no vinyl or mesh). For security reasons, I thought that would be worth more research. We've been to East Cape; Cabo area. Both seemed very touristy to me. Plus, the fishing was not what I was hoping for (we were there last April). I've always wanted to check out Loreto and Mulege area. We'd also want to bring our kayak.
Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Caroline
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dcsam
Think a Subaru Forester could handle that?

NOPE.

Even if it could tow the weight and not blow the engine, it doesn't have enough weight to be stable when a big semi passes close or if the wind blows across the road.

Just my 2 cents.
dcsam

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:06 PM

Thank you Diver, for the info. That would leave our Dodge Dakota quad cab. The bed is a bit shorter than a standard bed, so any ideas what would be a good option for a camper/trailer? We've had a camper, so this is very new to us.
Thanks again
Caroline
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:21 PM

Many options;

You could tow a lightweight camper trailer maybe 20' max.
A pop-up tent camper would tow better and since you have the truck bed for gear it may be large enough.

What are you looking for in a camper as far as conveniences ?
Do you plan to dry camp ? or look for services ?
A pop-up has smaller refig, usually porta potty not toilet, not many with showers....
dcsam

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 08:47 PM

Diver,
I just re-read my previous post. We've NEVER done the camper thing, so I'm really not sure what we'd be needing. I think a fridge, AC would be essential. I don't mind 'roughin' it a bit, so a shower and toilet would be nice, but not absolutely essential.
Do you happen to know of a 'Baja For Dummies' type of book out there? We probably need to begin some reading and research about what traveling to Mexico is all about. Sure, we've spent a couple dozen vacations there, but I'm beginning to think that's only just a start.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 09:16 PM

#1. If you don;t already have them, buy at least two of the following books;

Moons - Baja
Lonely Planet - Baja
Magnificent Peninsula - Baja
Baja Camping - Fred Jones
AAA BAJA book
AAA baja map

They give some idea of what to expect while camping.
You will severely limit your experience if you only look for RV Parks with hook-ups as there are few in most of Baja.

Now that times have changed and good water is available everywhere, your basic needs include enough water for your longest dry camping stay, electric for lights etc, and propane for heat/cooking. With a trailer, you will meet enough people that you will occasionally be able to leave your trailer for trips into town. A generator is noisy; I would invest in a single solar panel to charge your 2 batteries. 2 propane jugs allow you to go fetch more without losing the stove and refrig. A sun shower can always be filled with some heated water to make a nive warm shower. Keep an eye on the dogs; it is common for locals to use poisons and baits for some varmints.

Once you have done some reading, you will have more specific questions.
You can also do a search of this board on topics of interest to see what may have been posted in the past. Have fun !!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2006 at 09:22 PM

Here is a site with a comparison of lightweight camp trailers.
Many other manufacturers make them under 3000 lbs which should be good for your rig.

http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/stuff/campers/index.html

and another,

http://www.lightweight-rv-news.com/travel_trailers.htm

[Edited on 10-29-2006 by Diver]
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 07:35 AM

dcscam
I just picked up my new fleetwood element a small folding trailer very heavy duty and well made, no kit or shower sleeps 4 weighs 950 lbs and hauls 500 lbIbeen looking for more than a month . fleet wood makes many modela and one is the eveloution ,it is a off road model with shower and all the nice stuff you can even get a/c just go to fleetwood on the web ( jeez i sound like a salesman) but no just happy i finally found something i can pull with my cherokee and not be blown around . the model i got was the element neon the shortest lightest narrowest one they make

[Edited on 10-29-2006 by jimgrms]
dcsam

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 08:56 AM

I stayed up late last night checking camper/trailers out. There's one called Trailmanor. Looks very nice, but very spendy for our budget. The other is the Hi-Lo trailer. Looks nice too and probably more within our budget. http://www.hilotrailer.com/models/1707T.htm
Then.... right before I hit the hay, I read about this fellow Nomad who was shot while driving Baja. He had his wife and 2 kids too. Of course there's risk in everything, and it was only one incident. But it does cause me to think HOW we'd travel Baja. I do like the idea of joining up with at least one other group. Do many of you Nomads travel in groups? I can certainly see the benefits, but we also like some privacy. Simply keeping track of one another seems practical.
Thanks much!
Caroline
Washington State
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 09:09 AM

He was shot at around 3:00 am driving alone, north of Ensenada.

If you plan a bit, you will find that you can camp in places with other gringos and travel during the day along roads that many other gringos use.

Avoid the Tijuana craze by crossing at Tecate and overnight in San Quinton. South of there is much more calm.

Also check out used campers; more for the money.
spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 12:31 PM

Hi dcscam,
When we went trailer shopping we had already owned a couple of trailers and thought that having a bathroom with shower and a permanent bed were important . But we, like you did not have a massive truck to pull with. We have a Ford 150 with the six cylinder motor. After lots of research I figured I could safely pull and STOP about 3500lbs. We found a 23ft trailer from Okanagan that has a dry weight of 2800 lbs. It is 6" shorter and narrower than a standard travel trailer. We load carefully and only what we need and have no problems with this setup. I have taken it through the Rockies from Alberta through Oregon. In fact this is the trailer we intend to take to Baja. You can find used versions of 2000/2001 ultralite trailers around here for $15,000. Can. Check out your trucks capabilities with the manufacturer and your truck specifically as rear end and motor combinations make a big difference in what your truck can do. There are some terrific user group webstes for RVing that I found to be an very good resource. The one thing I did discover was not to trust Rv sales places about what you can tow or not. All my research says err on the side of caution whenever towing.
Spike
sunslim

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:30 PM
2 dogs

There are two ferries from La Paz. One goes to Mazatlan and takes about 16 hours. You have to be there several hours early and they fiddle around so it could be 20 hours. The last time I was on it once you left your car you couldn't go back down to it-not suitable to take dogs-and of course you couldn't bring your dogs up top.
The other ferry goes to Topolobampo and takes 6-7 hours. The last time I took it total time was about 9 hours. I heard some say they were allowed back down to check their pets or if they were small they could even take them uo top. So not as bad for pets but still not good.
Contary to what someone else said the vast majority of motels in Mexico don't take dogs so be prepared for problems finding rooms.
Quote:
Originally posted by dcsam
Hoping somebody here can offer some suggestions. I'm planning on taking 3-4 months off next Jan. Feb. March. April. We're thinking of doing 1 or 2 months on the mainland (i.e., Melaque, San Pancho) and the next 2 months on the Baja P. So... where to begin???

- Do we purchase a camper for our Dodge Dakota or for our Subaru Forester?

-Is it possible to take a ferry across from Mazatlan?

-Would it be better to have house rentals pre-arranged or do a camper thing?

-Pop-up camper...what would you suggest?

-We will be bringing our 2 dogs

-Suggested itineraries?

-Really... so much to consider. Where do we begin?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Caroline

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.