Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 05:22 AM
Fmt's at Otay

Can you get them at Otay?
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:32 PM

Yes you can.

I got one just a few days ago, for a trip, because my FM3 was in for renewal. And here in TJ it takes weeks to get it back. Usually the reciept is enough, but because of the trip I was taking, my attorney told me it can not hurt to have the FMT.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 06:33 AM

you cannot legally get an FMT tourist card if you are getting an FM3 resident card.

You get a letter from the Immigration that states your intentions...$20

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
you cannot legally get an FMT tourist card if you are getting an FM3 resident card.

You get a letter from the Immigration that states your intentions...$20

Funny,. the guy that gave me mine is the director of INM Tijuana

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 10:37 AM

So...if your FM3 is up for renewal during the time you will be traveling throughout Baja to your final destination, what does Mexican law say to do? I have heard that one should not get a tourist card IF you have an FM3 already....but QuePasaBaja's experience contradicts that, coming from an INM official.

Who could clear up this somewhat grey area?

In the past, before acquiring FM3's, we could get tourist visas, or FMT's, at Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, and Mandeanero (spelling?)

[Edited on 11-2-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 10:56 AM

As most of us know, the guy in the office you are in sets the rules - as he wants to. No matter what is written in the law.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 02:34 PM

This whole FM3 subject is very confusing. The law does seem to be up to the whim of the particular person you are dealing with, as BajaLou says.

My FM 3 expired Sept. 15 and could not get down in time to renew because of the Mulege flood. The Sacramento Mexican Consulate told me that I can apply for a brand new FM3 if I am not concerned about loosing a year's credit towards the 5 year wait for the FM2.

I am wondering if I can enter on an FMT since I don't have a renewal of the FM3 currently pending? Then I would apply for a new one in Santa Rosalia.

QuePasaBaja, is your attorney a Mexican attorney or a U.S. attorney familiar with Mexican immigration law?:?:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 03:19 PM

if you don't have an fm3 currently you MUST get an fmt to travel to Santa Rosalia other wise you are in the country illeaglly

then you need to apply for a new fm3.

Santa Rosalia IMM follows the rule

If you got in trouble and someone found out you have both fmt and fm3 you'd pay big time

of course tracking fmt's is non existant...

no computer log-in they are just paid for and stamped and a copy keptin the city issued but....

fm3's are logged in and tracked....

the future and computers are here :tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 04:42 PM

Something keeps getting lost in the translations-

Local immigration states that if you have your FM3 stamped "exit" when you leave Mexico you can return on that expired FM3 and have it stamped "Entry" at the border and then you have 15 days after return to apply for renewal without penalty. If it hasn't been stamped "Exit and "Entry", you may still return with it but must pay the penalties for late renewal. They advise do not get another FMT.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Something keeps getting lost in the translations-

Local immigration states that if you have your FM3 stamped "exit" when you leave Mexico you can return on that expired FM3 and have it stamped "Entry" at the border and then you have 15 days after return to apply for renewal without penalty. If it hasn't been stamped "Exit and "Entry", you may still return with it but must pay the penalties for late renewal. They advise do not get another FMT.

FM3's are not to be stamped for exit or entry because there are no travel restrictions. You are free to travel throughout Mexico and beyond without checking in or out.

An FM2 and only an FM2 has out of country travel/time restrictions.

Anyone who tells you different is full of it and is illegally restricting your (Mexican*) constitutional rights.

*You do have them, you know.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 08:08 PM

Dave - the only reason to have them stamped on exit and return is if you are late for renewal their will be no penalty assessed. - The only reason. Yes you are free to enter and leave but if you are late renewing you will pay penalties which get larger the later you are if you have not had it stamped when you exit and return.

I have experienced this in both situations, paying the penalties when late and having them stamped and no penalty.

No Bad Days

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 08:15 PM

Sorry Bajalou, I get PO'd when I read that immigration is stamping FM3's. Should have read your post more carefully.

I've heard reports that BCS is finally stopping the practice. Good...'cause it's illegal.

[Edited on 11-3-2006 by Dave]

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 09:48 PM

It is still not clear. As I see it, my options are:
1. Enter on my expired FM3 and pay the fines in Santa Rosalia.
2. Get a brand new FM3 from the Mexican Consulate in Sacramento.
3. Get a FMT and start over in Santa Rosalia. I am not sure that they will start me over in Santa Rosalia with an expired FM3, and I am not sure I can legally get an FMT even after my FM3 has expired.

I can't get back down there until around New Years.

Because of the stories I have heard about them confiscating Consulate issued FM3's in Santa Rosalia, and making you re-apply and pay the fees all over again, I never checked in with them. I have passed through immigration at Gurrero Negro with no problem several times; the last time in October with the expired FM3.

To make it even more confusing, the clerk at the Mexican Consulate told me that my FM3 doesn't expire one year from date of issuance....it expires on year from first date of entry.

Again, I am at the mercy of the person looking at my documents for their particular interpretation of the law. I want to comply and be legal. So many people have so many different answers, on this forum as well as the Mexican Immigration, I don't know what to do. Obviously I want to be a good citizen, comply legally. and avoid the worst of penalties or even deportation. I realize I am vulnerable to revenue generation.

The Hurricane John has really screwed me up: Huge damage to my brand new house in Mulege, loss of everything in it, ripped off of all the money I brought down to try and clean up and repair the house ($4000.00), and on top of all of that, I got food poisoning at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant in Santa Rosalia and spent the next three days sleeping it off at the Baja Cactus Motel. I really don't need immigration problems!

Please know what you are advising. I need responsible advise or else I will have to try and choose a course and hope for the best.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 09:51 PM

Get a new FM-3 in Sacramento, then your done and enjoy your trip.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
So...if your FM3 is up for renewal during the time you will be traveling throughout Baja to your final destination, what does Mexican law say to do? I have heard that one should not get a tourist card IF you have an FM3 already....but QuePasaBaja's experience contradicts that, coming from an INM official.

Who could clear up this somewhat grey area?

In the past, before acquiring FM3's, we could get tourist visas, or FMT's, at Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, and Mandeanero (spelling?)

[Edited on 11-2-2006 by Summanus]

I should have been a little more clear. We were laeving the country, and went to Cuba. So it is quite different than traveling Mexico.

However the way I understand it is, that the reciept for the renewal is only good for 30 days. if they have not approved your FM3 in that time, you should have that paper re stamped, or a letter from INM saying that it is being processed.

I also hear that those of you in Southern Baja dont have the wait that we have up here for INM.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
This whole FM3 subject is very confusing. The law does seem to be up to the whim of the particular person you are dealing with, as BajaLou says.

My FM 3 expired Sept. 15 and could not get down in time to renew because of the Mulege flood. The Sacramento Mexican Consulate told me that I can apply for a brand new FM3 if I am not concerned about loosing a year's credit towards the 5 year wait for the FM2.

I am wondering if I can enter on an FMT since I don't have a renewal of the FM3 currently pending? Then I would apply for a new one in Santa Rosalia.

QuePasaBaja, is your attorney a Mexican attorney or a U.S. attorney familiar with Mexican immigration law?:?:

He is a mexican attorney. If you send me a message I will get you his number. He does not speak english, but my wife would be more than willing to translate for you.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.