Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BOLA Oct 24-31 late report
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 04:45 PM
BOLA Oct 24-31 late report

Let me preface by saying I have not driven in Baja Norte in about 10 years; all my trips south in that time were flying into Loreto or Los Cabos.

We crossed the border at 6 AM and when I pulled into the parking area to get the tourist cards the migra man says "Not needed for all of Baja California"
OK. Whatever.
I was shocked and appalled at was has happened to my old surf beach stomping grounds!!
The rich are obviously much richer and the poor still getting even poorer. Trump?:( Whatever.
Just south of San Quintin we got waved over by Camino Feds. They were warning of traffic stoppages due to flooding from Paul south of GN. We stopped at a stand across the road and had some great shrimp tacos and were back on the road.
We got into BOLA about 5 and discovered it had rained 13 hours the day before. Too pooped to set up camp we looked for a hotel room at Guillermo's but they were filled with rickyracer types and so we "lucked" into a room at Villa Vita which was almost filled with racers as well. No cook for the kitchen and scuzzy green water in the pool but they let our 2 viszlas in for a $10 deposit which they refunded w/o looking at the room.
We had a so so meal at Guillermo's before calling it a day.
The next morning came early thanks to the racers:rolleyes:
so we headed north to Dagget's which had been recomended by Gene Kira.
The facilities were ok but we won't stay there again; it seems like there was a generator going or a quad going thru camp all day and night. Just too loud. We thought about moving to Las Animas but with the rain before and the wind we just couldn't get it together to tear down the camp. Too much crap.
The wind blew most of the time we were there which cut down my fishing time and then I tweaked my back putting the ob on the Porta Bote so that screwed up the little time we were able to fish.
The best meals we had in town came from the little taco stand between Rest. Las Hamacas and the Liseth Market. That little lady rocks!!!
Coming home we spent a night at Gypsys camp south of San Quintin and had a couple good cheap meals from Laura at the Wet Buzzard.
The dogs loved the place.
We made a detour to Pto Santo Tomas on the way home so I could show Sherry the place. She wants to go back.
The traffic was insane coming thru TJ (CRAPPY SIGNAGE!) and it took us over an hour to cross the border.
I'm ready to go again......... ;D

Halboo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 12:09 AM

"The best meals we had in town came from the little taco stand between Rest. Las Hamacas and the Liseth Market. That little lady rocks!!!"

WE AGREE!!!

The lady is China (pronounced chee-nah)... Try her birria on weekends!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 01:24 AM

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT CHINAS IN BOLA...

She does have GREAT food! The best TORTA I ever has was from her stand. I was there with a group of friends and was raving about my Carne Asada Torta. The next day when we returned, they ALL had Tortas and they ALL agreed they were very delicious.

Thanks for the report Halboo!

Amo
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the update. Love to hear all about BOLA. I am restarting my fishing/camping life there after a 20 year absense this 3/07. Too bad about the noise at daggetts but that what you get if you have a lot of motorhome gens. It's good for the motorhome people but annoying to the campers.

Halibut Howie
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 10:23 AM

You just cannt satisfied everyone now a days?:rolleyes:

READY SET.....................
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 10:52 AM

CHINA (CHEENA) SHE DA BOMB Best beer batter camerones' tacos on the planet!!!!!:spingrin::spingrin:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 06:24 PM

howat, come down in december when the flatties are around. troll repalles around la gringa and south towards the light house and there . if that dosn't make you happy go south to playa rafael and cast spoons of the beach. parfect:coolup:
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:56 PM

Taco countdown...10 days and counting!:bounce:
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 06:56 AM

T-minus 5 and counting!!!:lol::bounce::lol::bounce::lol::bounce:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.