Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Asuncion Trip Report
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:18 AM
Bahia Asuncion Trip Report

Hola Amigos-

I've been home almost a week so I'd better get this trip report out while I still remember it.

I picked up my mom, Zoe, at the airport on 10/27 about 10:30am. We ran a few errands and crossed the border about 12:40pm, picked up a tourist permit for mom, and were on our way for Baja Cactus.

We stopped at a torta stand in Santo Tomas that I've been eyeing for some time. Excellent birria tortas for 30 pesos!!! It's located just past the last tope headed south on the right. Arrived at Baja Cactus in about 5 hours with very little traffic, even in San Quintin.

After checking in, received a call from Antonio asking if we wanted to join him for dinner. The three of us went to Hugo's place (DK please help with the name of the restaurant) for excellent stuffed potatoes. I must say his artwork is much more impressive in person than what I've seen posted here. It was good to see Antonio again.

Up early the next for an uneventful drive south. Stopped at Carmelita's for some tamales. Her son was working the place. Arrived at Shari's in Bahia Asuncion about 3:15pm.

It was great to see Shari and Juan again. I met them in July with my wife, El Gato Loco, and Baja Barb. This time, my mom had decided to do Spanish immersion and I "volunteered" to drive her down. Shari offered up some "snail" burgers (ground caracol/conch) which were tasty. After a few more cervezas, we were enjoying a beautiful sunset together and life was good.

The next morning, Juan and I went out fishing. We trolled rapalas near San Roque Island and had no problem catching toad calico bass, bonito, and 7-8# yellowtail. The weather was beautiful with temps in 80s and clear, warm water. We finished our last beer and headed in to pick up Shari and Zoe for a trip out to see the seals on Isla Asuncion.

The next few days, I explored the beaches south of town looking for future camp spots. There are incredible white sandy beaches for miles. As I entered Pt. Prieta, though, about 10 guys surrounded my truck and told me to stop. Uh oh.....nope, nothing bad they just wanted to check out my Tacoma. After about 10 minutes, I continued on.

In addition to exploring the coast, I followed an old road about 5 miles back into a canyon. The scenery was surreal with basketball sized "meteors" everywhere from past volcanic activity. I hiked up a stream bed and found pools of water from recent rains.

We also spent some time at Juan and Shari's place in San Roque about 6 miles north of Asuncion. We caught some halibut and the ladies did some boogey boarding.

We left for Baja Cactus on Thursday and to San Diego on Friday. The drive home was uneventful and the border wait was only 45 minutes.

I can't say enough about Juan and Shari's hospitality. I'll let my mom share her immersion experience. But from what I heard on the drive home, she is headed back for more as soon as possible.

If you'd like to view my pictures, here's the link:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zacjohnston@sbcglobal.net/albu...

(you might have to cut and paste the link above)

Zac

[Edited on 11-11-2006 by Bajaboy]

HPIM0161 (Small).JPG - 48kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:38 AM

Hola Zac...

Thanks for the trip report!!!

Hugo's place is TACOS MISION, #36 on the map...

Rosario-06-RR.JPG - 49kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:50 AM

those pics are beautiful. Sounds like a great trip-- and the Sirius is a must!!!!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 11:31 AM

Great post! What a wonderful trip. My mouth is watering looking at those great lobster tails!!!

Thanks for the map David. Great detail.

Do you have other maps like this?

Iflyfish
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 11:47 AM

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES --- sure glad you shared them.

Thanks
Diane

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 12:07 PM

Hey bajaboy, I'm glad the canon(upper right hand corner) got in the picture...this is to repel pirates...Harrrr matey...Juan and I really enjoyed your visit as well and miss you guys. Juan's family and my english students send their love and look forward to seeing you again. hasta pronto amigos

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:29 PM
BAJABOY

Ho Boy what a trip can waith for mine next year. thanks bajaboy for the good pictures

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:18 AM

Shari,

The more we hear and see, the more we want to come visit.
We'll check your road conditions on our way south around Jan 11-12.
If it's doable without wrecking the trailer, we will see you then.
We will try to contact you before passing GN in case Sirenita needs a ride home for the weekend or you need any supplies.

Thanks for letting us know about your wonderful world.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.