Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Chamba
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 04:47 PM
La Chamba

I've been using this Mexican slang term for "the job" or "work" and it's relative verb "chambear" for more than 40 years, assuming its origin to be purely Mexican without actually knowing the etymology. Recently I was surprised to discover that, although indeed coined by Mexicans, it comes from the United States.

There's been a lot of talk lately about a "guest worker" program. Actually we have one called H2A, but it doesn't work very well and amounts to a form of indentured servitude (slavery) wherein workers cannot leave one job for another.

We had a somewhat better, if imperfect, program in the 1940's known popularly as the "Bracero" program. Back in those days, most small agricultural towns had no "employment office", so the task of hooking up Farmers needing workers and Braceros looking for work often fell to the local Chamber of Commerce. When the harvest was finished at one "rancho", workers would be directed to "the Chamber" to find out where to go next.

I know you've already got this one; "the Chamber" became "la chamba" and evolved into the common term for job.

These days, many on both sides of the border use "el jale" (the pull) for "the job" and jalar for work. But "la chamba" is still in widespread use throughout Mexico.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 05:17 PM

Sound like a contemporary of Sheik Al Lúfa Melo Jalán, a friend of Don Agapíto López Cázte. :lol:

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 06:10 AM

Well, who would have thought, good reading Oso, thanks mucho for the insight.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 06:44 AM

I really enjoy your posts OSO, they are sometimes really OUT of the BOX perspectives, which is a pleasure to learn from, or just to have fun with ( as in the OT section).
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 07:53 AM

Oso...good word and origin. I grew up in a farming community where worker wanted notices were posted on our mailboxes or in town on a wooden board next to the old movie theatre. Later a chamber of commerce was formed, then finally a Job Service...WOW..we were bigtime then! 1500 people. Hmm...JOb SErvice....could that be how JOSE was formed?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 08:07 AM

whodathunkit?

Good one!

Iflyfish
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 08:42 AM

Oso:

Solo busco chamba como pizcador, no estrella del cine...

Howz dat Oso ?

Steve in Oro Valley
Keith1

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I've been using this Mexican slang term for "the job" or "work" and it's relative verb "chambear" for more than 40 years, assuming its origin to be purely Mexican without actually knowing the etymology. Recently I was surprised to discover that, although indeed coined by Mexicans, it comes from the United States.

There's been a lot of talk lately about a "guest worker" program. Actually we have one called H2A, but it doesn't work very well and amounts to a form of indentured servitude (slavery) wherein workers cannot leave one job for another.

We had a somewhat better, if imperfect, program in the 1940's known popularly as the "Bracero" program. Back in those days, most small agricultural towns had no "employment office", so the task of hooking up Farmers needing workers and Braceros looking for work often fell to the local Chamber of Commerce. When the harvest was finished at one "rancho", workers would be directed to "the Chamber" to find out where to go next.

I know you've already got this one; "the Chamber" became "la chamba" and evolved into the common term for job.

These days, many on both sides of the border use "el jale" (the pull) for "the job" and jalar for work. But "la chamba" is still in widespread use throughout Mexico.
Keith1

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 08:54 AM

Oso,
Your comments about "chamba" are very interesting. However I would like to say that chamba is a very common word in South America, much more common than in Mexico. It is especially used in the jungle area [Iquitos] of Peru.
Regards Keith
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith1
Oso,
Your comments about "chamba" are very interesting. However I would like to say that chamba is a very common word in South America, much more common than in Mexico. It is especially used in the jungle area [Iquitos] of Peru.
Regards Keith

Well, that casts some doubt on this theory. Unless the term migrated southward. Any other etymological clues?

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:32 AM

Google tells me 'chamba' has Pakistani and African origins also. Hey...it's a small world and word gets around.....;D

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Keith1

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:49 AM

Spearking of Pakistan, I worked there for 8 1/2 years. Their official language is Urdu which is very different than Spanish. On day while working on one of the Bingham pumps Asghar Ali told Amjad in Urdu to "go bring the balde". I immediately heard the word "balde" and asked Asghar what balde meant. His reply was "bucket" and I nearly fell over. That same word and pronunciation half a world away. [12 time zones] Go figure
Regards, Keith
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:54 AM

The Spanish Conquistadores have been almost everywhere , long time ago. Maybe it's been assimilated somehow?!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith1
Spearking of Pakistan, I worked there for 8 1/2 years. Their official language is Urdu which is very different than Spanish. On day while working on one of the Bingham pumps Asghar Ali told Amjad in Urdu to "go bring the balde". I immediately heard the word "balde" and asked Asghar what balde meant. His reply was "bucket" and I nearly fell over. That same word and pronunciation half a world away. [12 time zones] Go figure
Regards, Keith

Urdu must have some elements of Arabic, given the muslim connection. There is quite a bit of Arabic adapted into Spanish from the time the Moors ruled much of Iberia. The expression "¡Ojalá!" (hopefully or God willing) is almost unchanged and the same as the current Arabic "Inshallah"

As for "chamba", I have referred the question to my good friend Ing. Arturo Ortega Morán, author of ¡Hasta que me cayó el veinte!, a highly recommended and entertaining book on the origins of Mexican expressions. I hope to post an answer from Arturo in the near future.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:42 PM
Una de cafe tacuba

Chilanga Banda:
Ya chole chango chilango
que chafa chamba te chutas
no checa andar de tacuche
y chale con la charola.
Tan choncho como una chinche
mas chueco que la fayuca
con fusca y con cachiporra
te paso andar de guarura.
Mejor yo me hecho una chela
y chance enchufo una chava
chambeando de chafirete
me sobra chupe y pachanga.
Si choco saco chipote
la chota no es muy molacha
chiveando a los que machucan
se va a morder su talacha.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:50 PM

¡Ay que chévere! :lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.