BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whales in January
seabright_sc

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:11 AM
Whales in January

Hello there, my family is heading down for a two week roade trip to see the whales. We'll be in the area of the lagoons around the Beginning of january. I've completed some research and would like to here advice from experienced travellers.

In early January (the first week) which lagoon would you suggest?

In general, based on your experiences, how long should be plan to stay? OUr window will be from 1-3 nights).

Our littlest is two years old... should bring bring our own life jacket for her, or will the tour guides have them.

We're experienced road trippers/ campers.... are suggestions on where to camp?

Any other advice worth sharing?

Thanks!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:57 AM

seabright_sc

January is a little early but there should be some whales in all three of the calving lagoons (Ojo de Liebre, San Ignacio, Magdalena Bay). In my experience San Ignacio is the best of the three at any time, but it is also the most remote. There are good camping facilities there at the Kuyima site. Ojo de Liebre (Guerrero Negro) and Magdalena Bay are much more developed and easier to get to. They will have flotation vests for your little one but it might be better to bring one that you know fits well and is comfortable. Length of stay is, of course, subject to many factors but 2-3 days should be ok. That's what the upscale trips to the tent camps at San Ignacio run.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:04 AM

We like Lopez Mateo for early season.
You can camp just south of the launch area near or on the water.
I would definitely bring the kid's safety devices; one you know fits and is comfortable. Maybe let the kid wear it for fun before the trip so you don't get a fit on whale watching day. (Your pangearo will definitley shorten your trip with a screaming 2 year old !)
You will almost definitely see whales each time out. It's up to you how many times/$ you want to make the trip; 2 days/1 night is usually enough for us.
Have fun !!

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:05 AM

i have been in mag bay twice later half of jan with great views left loreto in the morning and was back before dark

jerry and judi
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seabright_sc
Our littlest is two years old... should bring bring our own life jacket for her, or will the tour guides have them.

We're experienced road trippers/ campers.... are suggestions on where to camp?

Any other advice worth sharing?

Thanks!

As Ken mentioned, all lagoons should have whales by that time and I have to agree that the friendlyest seem to be the San Ignacio ones. As for the little one, yes, bring your own life vest, Sofia was 3 when she kissed a whale for the first time and good thing we had brought her life vest, they had none that small. Since your going early season, I would recomend 3 nights @ the lagoon. As for camping Kuyima has very good services, and you can probably save some $ going early in the season.
saludos
http://www.kuyima.com/contact/calendar.html

[Edited on 11-12-2006 by fdt]

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:09 PM

This is little Ferna and Sofia on our trip, while on the boat headed out

This is Sofia who was 3 at the time with her own life jacket.

Sofia at Kuyima Camp site

My oldest daughter Danielle, 10 yrs on our first day out.

Little Ferna touching the whale on our second day out. As you can see it will be an experiance of a lifetime and well worth the trip. Should you have the opportunity to touch them. If the water is to choppy they seem to understand the danger of collision and wont come near the boats. Good luck and have FUN!

Shari is right. My pictures say January but it was actually in April when we went. I just wanted to add a video clip of the kids when they were touching the whales. My wife was kind enouph to upload onto her website for me. It takes a few minutes to load and it's in quicktime format, but worth seeing it, as this is what you would experiance as the babies come up to the boat. At least it's what we got out of it.
http://www.tjkennel.com/video.htm

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:48 PM

Seabright, I recommend going into Ojo de Liebre (Scammons Lagoon) in early January as it is the first lagoon to fill up with whales, and the southerly lagoons get the whales a little later although there are whales in all of them but the greatest numbers in the Guerrero Negro lagoon. The grays may not be as touchy feely as later in the season as they will have just given birth to their calves and need to nurse constantly and protect these darling babies. It is always best to bring your own lifevest for wee ones as they are more used to their own. I also recommend going out on the second boat in the morning around 10:00 as the first boats out locate the most cooperative animals and the weather warms up a bit too, but the wind comes up in the afternoons so don't plan on going out then. The road into the lagoon is very good and it is an excellent place to camp or there are lots of good hotels in Guerrero Negro...it's nicer to drive out to the lagoon as you can spend time at the beach watching the whales from shore and enjoy a nice meal after your trip at the restaurant there. If it's a weekend, maybe get my daughter Sirena to go out with you...she is from the lagoon and her papa was the first whale watching panga guide there and so she knows all the guides and will guide your trip....she's great with kids and grew up on that lagoon in the pangas and knows her whales! You can email me with any questions if you like...sharibondy@yahoo.com.au
enjoy your trip.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:33 AM

I agree with shari, there will be more whales in Ojo de Liebre in early January. How well does your 2 year old travel? The road out to Laguna San Ignacio is terrible. Lots of washboard.
seabright_sc

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:08 PM

Wow, Thanks for all the great information! This was my first post on the board and my wife and I appreciate your Knowledge. It looks like since we'll be in the area during the first week of January that we'll check out Guerro Negro first.

Here's a question.... If we decide to check Guerro Negro first and are satisfied with our whale watching experience, is it worth driving down to the town of San Ignacio for a night just to check out the mission and surrounding area? Or would you recommend spending more time around Guerro Negro?

Thanks so Much!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:23 PM

There is really nothing great to see around GN other than whales and salt.
Either go south to San Ignacio or north to Bahia de LA on your way back.
San ignacio is a different world. Spring-fed river and lots of palms besides the town and mission to see.
Bahia de LA has the turtle preserve and beautiful scenery.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
If we decide to check Guerro Negro first and are satisfied with our whale watching experience, is it worth driving down to the town of San Ignacio for a night just to check out the mission and surrounding area? Or would you recommend spending more time around Guerro Negro?
The oasis town of San Ignacio, in my opinion, is absolutely worth the drive. The mission in the middle of town is one of the nicest to visit along the peninsula.

If one has extra days, a hike into the Sierra San Francisco (accessible from the highway between GN and SI) is beautiful - with an additional reward of seeing some of the finest examples of cave painting along the peninsula.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:40 PM

Two weeks seems like enough time to not only check out San Ignacio but also Santa Rosalia and possibly Mulege as long as your are in Baja Sur. As incredible as the whale watching will be in Ojo de Libre you may get itchy feet after 2 days like I did. Drive safe.
seabright_sc

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:04 PM

Thans again for the great info. I'll be taking surfboards so staying on the Pacific side is critical. We probably will check out San Ignacio for a night though. Some friends recommend Punta Santa Rosalillita... suposedly great surf in that area... But how would it be for a wife who doesn't surf... she won't mind if there's not a whole lot to do as long as the area is beautiful and child friendly.
This is getting kind of fun. I truly appreciate all of your input. There is no doubt that it'll help us greatly as we travel down the peninula.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:08 PM

If you have time, consider going south from GN then west to either Ascunsion or Abreojos. Both on the pacific with surf, beaches and fishing, etc..

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
is it worth driving down to the town of San Ignacio for a night just to check out the mission and surrounding area? Or would you recommend spending more time around Guerro Negro?

Thanks so Much!

san Igancio without a doubt

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:25 PM

If you stay over in San Ignacio you might consider http://ignaciosprings.com/ unique place and wonderful people. The Mission, and the town, are both neat to see.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.