BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: wide body trailers in baja ?
bworrior

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:36 PM
wide body trailers in baja ?

I have a wide body toy hauler, planning my first trip to baja and will this be manageable for road width. Will I need a permit. Any info will be helpfull.

Thank You , Bworrior
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:05 PM

You don't need a permit but one year I swapped places with one going up the Baja and when I followed I I couldn't believe how close the passing was, they made it, they were ahead of me at the Tecate crossing. They took up their own lane totally.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:29 PM

I don't know how wide it is but .... be careful.
Baja roads are way narrower than most in the US and almost no shoulders anywhere. You will definitely get some white knuckles with a wide rig, especially when a semi wants to pass you.
Hopefully your tow rig has some weight (ie F350) in case you drop a trailer wheel off the road.
Our 24' trailer is 8' wide. Anything wider would be really spooky.
It can be done but .... be careful.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 10:57 PM

most 102 wide trailers has the same with axels as the 8 foot models it the top end that you need to look at
its only 3 inches wider on each side but its the first half inch too wide that will get you into trouble

jerry and judi
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bworrior
I have a wide body toy hauler, planning my first trip to baja and will this be manageable for road width. Will I need a permit. Any info will be helpfull. Thank You , Bworrior

Wider than 8'?

You'll probably want to drive 1/2 days, it won't be much fun, might even be more stress than you've ever had in your life, you'll realize the meaning of the expression ''I need a drink."

You'll learn fast or not make it. Good luck.

:cool:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 11:40 PM
wide body

its not so bad i drove a 102 by 36 to loreto last year just pay attention give when you can and pray when you cant

jerry and judi
fly-boy

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 08:33 AM

Absolutely no problem- I have dragged my wide body weekend warrior fifth wheel all over baja. Leaving tomorrow for ten days in San Felipe and can't wait.

The biggest thing is to watch your speed- There are some tricky areas but so long as you are not going too fast and pay attention you will be fine.

Where are you going???
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 11:19 PM

Not sure what you call a wide-body. I have a standard boat trailer and if I keep the left tire 3" inside the center line I have 3" from the edge of the road on the right. Forget about shoulders in many areas there is a ledge. Bring at least 2 spares for your trailer and ideally 10 ply.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 11:33 PM

And don't forget about those driving the other way....I've had way too many close calls with those wide body trailers and the mirrors sticking way over the center line....

Zac

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 09:39 AM

There's a reason I drive a small (Dodge Dakota) truck with a camper that is narrower than my wheelwells, and my boat trailer is narrower still. I like the drive down Baja to be fun instead of worrying about whether I will be sideswiped or run off the shoulder. Much of the drive you can straddle the center line because the traffic is light. It's the oncomming busses and trucks that add the excitement, especially on the hairpin turns.

It's fun to talk to the motorhome people, especially the wives who ride out over the edge of the road, but also the drivers who seem to have more than their share of storys of hitting mirrors with other motor homes and trucks.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 10:24 AM

Good ole kissing mirrors!

Never had it happen to me, hopefully it will never will happen!

I have chatted with several first timers whom it did happen. They were less than excited about traveling on Baja roads.

One at San Ignacio with a brand new trailer that had lost a mirror and a part of the rear of the trailer on a curve. He and his terrified wife elected to turn around and return to the US free ways when he heard about "the hill" on the way to Santa Rosalia.

My suggestions;
1) remain at home
2) purchase a smaller trailer for Baja.
3) fly to Baja -rent taxis

dm
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:02 PM

To me, scary is, after several years in Baja Sur traffic, traveling on interstate 15 north at 70 to 75 mph, and have traffic go by you like you're standing still. Took me a week to get used to those crazy gringo drivers again.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.