Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Roads to Gonzaga bay
schrysco

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 12:42 PM
Roads to Gonzaga bay

first post, love this forum!

I've been down to Gonzaga Bay once before, and am planning on going down with some friends for Thanksgiving. We're planning on taking one SUV and one regular 2wd car (VW passat-- it's all we've got!).

Was wondering how the conditions are on the road from Highway 1 to Gonzaga bay (via Coco's corner). Passable with the car?

We're also considering going north from Gonzaga to San Felipe, if that road is passable with the car. When I was there before it was "possible" (but slow) with a car, but that was over a year ago and I don't know what it looks like now after the 1000.

can anyone report on the likelihood of us getting to Gonzaga without having to strap the VW to the roof of the truck?

any info is appreciated, thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 05:11 PM

To Gonzaga from Hwy. 1 via Coco's Corner is OKAY for 2WD... however, it is rougher than before (until they run a grader over it again).

Gonzaga north to Puertecitos has been okay for 2WDs before but NOT now (or until a grader goes over it). We were on it last Saturday 11/18/06 just after the Baja 1000 used it and after hurricane John washed out the top dirt to expose base rock in the roadbed.

It's about 40 poor to drive over miles of the 50 to Puertecitos that only trucks and off highway vehicles should try. The 10 miles just south of Puertecitos is good (except one spot) and Puertecitos to San Felipe is ALL paved except for 2 miles.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 06:11 PM

I was just down that road.

The Passat MAY have a little trouble, depending on speed, experience, luck and driving skill. If you are going along with an SUV, bring a tow strap, just in case.

It will be rough, because of all the exposed rocks. Just to give you an idea, I drove it in two hours -- in an F350 with BIG tires and upgraded suspension. As long as you are prepared for some slow going, you will be ok - it's rough, but the road is all there.
schrysco

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 06:30 PM

cool thanks. Actually come to think of it, does anyone know of a way to rent a truck/SUV to take it down there? I know that most rental car companies don't allow it, but we wouldn't even mind if it was a total beater. i've looked around at rent-a-wreck places but nobody has any trucks. sounds like the car would work, but it would be great to get another 4wd for the weekend!

Also-- You're talking about the road between hwy 1 and Gonzaga bay, that's the one you just went on that took 2 hours?

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by schrysco]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 06:35 PM

It took me two hours to get to Gonzaga from just north of Puertecitos (about 10 miles). It took another hour to get from Gonzaga to Highway 1 at Chapala.
schrysco

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 06:38 PM

hmm--- so you'd say the road to the 1 is passable, but the road north to Puertocitos probably isn't with the car?
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
The Passat MAY have a little trouble, depending on speed, experience, luck and driving skill. If you are going along with an SUV, bring a tow strap, just in case.

I am saying that I could do it, even in a Passat. I would do so carefully, don't get carried away by the good sections, and be prepared for slow going. Don't forget that locals are going over this road on a daily basis, and you can be sure they aren't doing it off-road vehicles. :o
schrysco

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 07:25 PM

right, gotcha. Good advice, I remember patience being the main objective when i did that road last time. And I also remember seeing '82 Tercels climbing over the hills, so I was thinking the same thing ;)
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:19 PM

I just came from Coco's to San Felipe after the race on Friday. We had one truck with no spare (cut a tire on the road in) and one with broken front shocks. We took about 7 hours getting out. Lots of exposed rock in the sisters would really have to drive with a car to get around them. Road from Coco's to Ganzaga was pretty good. Some big rocks, but nothing that couldn’t be moved or driven around.

I wouldn’t do it, but that is just me. ;)

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.