BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rental Car Company in San Diego that allows...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 06:03 PM
Rental Car Company in San Diego that allows...

cars into Mexico. I know there are old posts regarding this subject, and a few other companies are listed, but I've never heard of this company. Looks like their rates are pretty good. Has anyone ever heard of them? In-laws are coming for a week in mid December and they will rent a car, and during their stay they want to drive down to Ensenada for a couple of days. They are from Chicago and are craving shrimp and fish tacos!!
:lol:

Here's the link... http://www.bargainautorentals.com/

Any info would be mostly appreciated.
Gracias,
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:05 PM

I( don't know. about this specific firm. When we fly down, I usually rent from Dollar and get the Mexican insurance. I have had no problems.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:47 PM

Website looks legit; but do wait for a confirmation from a Nomad or check with Geoff...who (no connection to me!!!!) I think is bajabound.com; just bajabound.com - note I have 2005 after my ID!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:20 PM

California-Baja Rent a Car in San Diego County

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 07:19 PM
Enterprise rentals can go to Baja

I've used Enterprise before - just pay the extra for insurance, etc.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I( don't know. about this specific firm. When we fly down, I usually rent from Dollar and get the Mexican insurance. I have had no problems.

Bajaguy... did you have to buy the Mexican Insurance from Dollar or could you buy it wherever you wanted to?

Thanks for all the info everyone...

Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 08:41 PM

Unfortunately, you have to buy it from Dollar. They charge $25 a day and I believe they use Instant Mexican Insurance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Unfortunately, you have to buy it from Dollar. They charge $25 a day and I believe they use Instant Mexican Insurance.

Thanks for the info - and by the way, check your U2U.
Bob H

Kell-Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 05:49 PM

Always check with the company & make sure you'll get a reliable vehicle and good Mexican Insurance. www.cabaja.com always has reliable vehicles, Mexican Insurance (GE MEX Insurance) is included in the rate, and you'll get GREAT customer service.;)
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 01:03 AM

I used Avis last time but the rates seemed pretty steep.

Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 03:57 PM

Are you aware that if you choose an off-airport location, you will save quite a significant amount per day on the rental? You will save many times the cab fare to pick up the car, and some of them have free customer pickup and return. I just looked in the San Diego phone book and here are the numbers of the companies that said they allowed cars to go to Mexico:

Advantage: 1-800-574-6000
Avis: 1-800-831-2847 Airport office 619-688-5000
California Baja, Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-445-2600 www.cabaja.com
email info@cabaja.com
Courtesy Auto Rental (off airport): 619-426-3433 or 619-424-8606 www.courtesyauto.com
Fuller Ford Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-656-3370 www.thinkfuller.com
SouthWest Car Rental (off airport, but has free pickup & return): 619-429-9040
airport location number: 619-298-7544
Rental Image (off airport, but free customer pickup and return; however, it may be too far from
the airport to be practical; I'm not sure of the location of this one): 1-800-725-5102
West Coast Rent A Car (off airport--free customer pickup): 619-544-0606

Insurance: 3rd party liability (to cover damage you do to Mexicans or their property) is required in Mexico; that's the insurance the police care about. The police do not care about insurance to cover damage to the vehicle you are driving. You must buy 3rd party liability from the rental company, and it's $7.00-11.00 per day. I've read (but haven't had occasion to experience it myself) that it is possible to rent from Avis and let your credit card insurance cover any damage to the rental vehicle. If your credit card insurance becomes primary in Mexico, you can do it and avoid the extra cost from the car rental company. I've READ that Avis will agree to this arrangment if you ask about it--though they certainly don't advertise it.
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 04:26 PM

You can always rent at Budget in Tijuana

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 05:45 PM

We have a reservation at California Baja - very good rates compared to four other companies that we called. And, yes, away from the airport is a lot cheaper. My wifes parents cannot drive a stick shift so that's why we are renting a car for them while they are here visiting us in San Diego for 7 or 8 days (with two days in Baja coming up)
Thanks for all the good information from fellow Nomads.
Bob H:yes:

grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:14 PM

We have rented from Hertz and taken the car into San Felipe. You must buy the Mexican insurance from them for 25 a day for a car and 35 for a minivan. They do not rent SUVs to take into Mexico.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 11:58 PM
Unlimited mileage????

Do any of the companies that allow rental vehicles into the Baja offer unlimited mileage????....the CaBaja outfit only allows 100 miles per day free, then charges at least $0.32/mile after that.

Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Do any of the companies that allow rental vehicles into the Baja offer unlimited mileage????

Avis does (like the others though, charges $25/day insurance). Can be quite competitive on rates when you use some discount codes.

A good place for discount codes and vouchers for the major companies is flyertalk:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=392

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.