Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Back and forth with an FMT
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 07:05 PM
Back and forth with an FMT

I'm planning on relocating to the frontera area of BCN in Jan. Unitl I get an FM3 Rentista; is it ok to go back and forth across the border on one FMT? How about with a car vs on foot?

I am under the impression that you are supposed to return the FMT when you leave the country. I'd like to just get a 180 day FMT and use that until I get my FM3.

I'd be crossing in a car a few times a week either at Mexicali or Otay. What is the chance that the border officals will, "get to know me" and impound my car or deport me due to visa problems?

Any advice or input?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 07:18 PM

Well yes, except you are NOT a tourist... FM-T(Tourista) is not for anyone living in Baja or keeping any property in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 07:38 PM

We tried to return ours before the 180 days were up and immigration wouldn't take it; he said it's still good for 3 months. So we kept it and ended up using it again. So yes, it's good for multiple entries and exits within that time period...and you are supposed to have a current one to get your FM3, or you get fined or something like that....and if you own property you will lose in any dispute if you don't have an FM-3....SO GET ONE!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 07:47 PM

Who at the border is going to get to know you? They only see about fifty billion people a day, not to mention that, if you're going north, they dont care what type of Mexican permission you have and, when you're going south through the border, they dont care either.
Just stay legal and keep it to yourself.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 07:57 PM

Thanks for the input. But, from my understanding, I need to have an address in Mexico to get an FM3.

This seems to me to be a Catch 22/gray area.

I'd like to do it the legal way if I can; but, I will need to spend sometime looking for a place to live and go though the process of getting my FM3.

My girlfriend is a Mexican National... so I guess it is possible to put any apartment, etc in her name and just "visit".

I'd just hate to pay the fee for the FMT each time I cross the border to work in the states or go shopping if I can avoid it.

I also read somewhere recently in my research about FM3's that they are starting to limit the FMT's to just 180 days total in any one year(i.e. 2 90 day FMT's, or one 180, or 6 30 day FMT's). I'm am not sure if this is true or not. From my past experience it is not.

My work schedule varries and is unpredictable. It would be impossible for me to predict how long I would need for each individual FMT; and, extensions are a pain to get. I often work 14 hour days for 3 weeks straight.. then have no work for a month, etc

Maybe I'll make a trip to the consulate here in SF and talk with them about what I should do. Any advice is still appreciated. Thanks.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:18 PM

fmt is 180 days; if you already have ANY kind of lease; phone bill; electric bill --- anything in YOUR name (OR HERS) go for the FM3, but do have a current FMT when you do FM3. Get your FM3 started at the consulate for sure; then when you get here, wherever it is; you still have to go to the local immigration office to "register" - they will take your FM3 and type your local address in to it which can take anywhere from 24 hours to 6 months depending on where you are....oh, and if SF does hand over your FM3 don't forget to stop in TJ at immigration and get it stamped. And that's not the end; see sentence 2 above -- have to register at local immigration and get the local address added...

Your wife, on the other hand can do dual citizenship; almost immediately...do a search on NOMAD for that one!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.