Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: trip report
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 10:13 AM
trip report

Got back from San felipe on wenesday 23 had a good trip ,and the fleetwood element folding trailer was great ,only bad part was getting out of denver ,there was a big snowstorm in the mt and the 1st 200 or so miles was almost no visibility so i put the cherokee in 4 hi and tucked in behind a semi.. in nevada i noticed the trailer was pulling to the right ,the axel bolts han vibrater loose so i stopes at a tire shop and fixed it and double nutted and then locktited everything, then for goob measure ballenced the tires and all spares ,, had no more trouble for the rest of the trip.
stayed in campo 1 the first nite and from there went south till we found lots of campers waiting for the racers and camped there ,, i had installed a yakima rack on the trailer and made a solar water heater out of black pvc pipe so we had showers we would close the trailer up to refill the water tank , i am gonna redoo that and install a water pump ,, ., i can't even describe the race trucks and bikes and the excitement they caused coming thru, every one went nuts.it was unbelievable, I have always wanted to see that up close ,next year i am going to hook up with someone and help out in the pits somewhere , after leaving the san felipe area we went up hwy 3 to valle de trinidad and to elrosario it also was crowded so camped at pt baja overnite did some fishing of the beach and went home through tecate,, i took a lot of pictures while in san felipe but i think some one needed my camera more than i did so i will not be posting pictures , sorry i diddn't hook up with any of the nomads maybe next time, there were a group of adventure bikers that spent a hour trying to figure out how to make my medical oxygen bottles adapt to a deal to fill bike tires . they got my adress said they would send me one , they wanted a bottle but they cost to much to give away,for awhile coming out of trinadad some mexicand had broke down and i had quite a caravan going we sat around for awhile drinking beer and decided to just shackle his chevy p/u to the trailer hitch on my cherokee so as not to screw up my tent trailer any away we went 3 old duffers and 5 mexicans for 30 or so miles stoping every 1/2 hour to check every thing out and have another beer,, i had brought 6 cases of colorado blonde beer with me and we drank damn near all of it in that tow trip and my younger bro don,t drink ( sure was a kick in the butt ) the mexicans bought us 2 cases and put them in the jeep while we were eating in llano colorado,they were nice folks and i was glad i could help them,, all in all it was a great trip the old ckerokee worked great trailer was perfect now that we have used it i know what to add to make it better another awning a bigger table and more ice chest small one's and two geezers can,t lift a 56 qt ice chest , and some more lites and more chairs proably more water stowage we actually had more beer than water i had forgot my bro didn't drink and he almost dehydrated we had to turn around and go back to s/f to get bottled drinking water and sodas for him
it was a first for my buddy from bullhead and he is going to get a 4x4 and trailer soon Jim G:bounce::lol::o
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 10:20 AM

Jim, great report.
Yeah, the first time you see the race, up close and real personal, well, you just don't get over it real soon. (I saw it once, six months later was back with my own pickup class entry, but that is another story, right Bernie?)

And, it really is a positive experience to hook up with some locals, and even better, to be able to lend a hand when they are in need.

The only part of the story that did not resonate was the '6 cases of Colorado' that you took....
why do folks take the filtered corn water that Gringos call beer to the country that makes it right?

Oh well, glad you had a good trip!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 10:38 AM

"[we actually had more beer than water i had forgot my bro didn't drink and he almost dehydrated we had to turn around and go back to s/f to get bottled drinking water and sodas for him]"

Baja fun. It's always good to have a non-drinker along to drive. My older brother is also a non-drinker, so he drives in the afternoons.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 10:51 AM

.Runner it is a local beer (micro . it was ok but not great, 'seems like every time any one comes to watch football on tv they bring a case ,so i had a bunch in the basement to get rid of, so i took it with me i normally am a beer snob and only drink the kind that says beer or cervaza on the cans . one thing i learned is i wil never again take any thing that is in a glass container, one of the campers young daughter cut her foot on a broken glass (not mine ) and i lent them my first aid kit and as they were in a motor home took mom and kid to the clinic in san felipe for treatment on the way back stopped for ice cream at the store , now that i think about it there was no place for trash we hauled ours out till we got to civilzation to dump as i am sure lots of folks did but lots diddn.t

[Edited on 11-25-2006 by jimgrms]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:53 PM
Mea culpa!! I beg your forgiveness...

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
.Runner it is a local beer (micro . it was ok but not great, 'seems like every time any one comes to watch football on tv they bring a case ,so i had a bunch in the basement to get rid of, so i took it with me i normally am a beer snob and only drink the kind that says beer or cervaza on the cans . one thing i learned is i wil never again take any thing that is in a glass container, one of the campers young daughter cut her foot on a broken glass (not mine ) and i lent them my first aid kit and as they were in a motor home took mom and kid to the clinic in san felipe for treatment on the way back stopped for ice cream at the store , now that i think about it there was no place for trash we hauled ours out till we got to civilzation to dump as i am sure lots of folks did but lots diddn.t

[Edited on 11-25-2006 by jimgrms]

I have the same problem.
Every time the NASCAR gang comes over to watch races on the 'really big screen' in my theatre, someone leaves some Bud Lite or Miller Lite or Coors Lite in the 'gator.
Then, we have to figure out what to do with it, seems a shame to dump it out, but even a bigger shame to drink it.
Oh well, I foist it off on unsuspecting visitors that I know do not know the diff.
(my beer of choice, here Stateside, is San Miguel in the bottle. Trader Joe has it and it is reasonable.)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.