Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: internet in baja--and bill paying
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 12:00 AM
internet in baja--and bill paying

I don't know if I phrased it right. The question is how do I (a --confermed "peraniod, pessimas, skeptic") pay bills, transfer monies, ect. out of an internet cafe. With out being a fool in believing that it is safe and secure? I am aware that there is a glut of programs that can be bought and put on a computer that can record every KEY stroke ( the sites you visit with your access name and password ---EVERYTHING.
How do other do personal bussiness on the net? Should I be saving my pennies for a laptop to hook up in a net cafe? Will they allow that?

What started me thinking on this line was the post from ---- and now I can't find the post :no: about the on line snail MAIL and just how much I would trust ANYONE looking at my mail!!!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:23 AM

we take our laptop into internet cafes all the time; some even have wireless.
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:04 PM

These are good questions!

I use free Wi-Fi (which can be found many places in metropolitan areas in the US) to do online banking, purchases, e-mail, and lots of other things in the U.S. using my laptop. Apparently, providing Wi-Fi service is inexpensive enough that many places provided it free of charge.

I'm planning a six-month trip mostly to Baja Sur this next spring.

So where are these Wi-Fi places, especially south of El Rosario? Are they only in La Paz, El Cabo, and the fancy hotels?

Are there any free Wi-Fi services available?

What are the typical charges (if any)?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:19 PM

for a 6 month trip...which i think is a long time...

i'd get my own huges sat service and learn how to aim the thing...

i've seen several do it in just a few minutes...

$60 a month

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:49 PM

yes - and then you can set up your own wireless router and sell access to your neighbors!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:08 PM

Hmmmmmmmm.......interesting idea
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
for a 6 month trip...which i think is a long time...

i'd get my own huges sat service and learn how to aim the thing...

i've seen several do it in just a few minutes...

$60 a month

Think you have to make a 2 year commitment for that service from Hughes. Which makes it pretty expensive for only 6 months use.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:24 PM

but then s/he can take it back to wherever they live the other part of the year and use it there!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Hmmmmmmmm.......interesting idea

Bajaguy-- you could SO do this at BCC! Share the cost with your neighbors.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:02 PM

lou...who cares what the cost is as long as we can get the internet in far away places and type here on this nomads board:lol:

they also share the cost of sat tv....

someone gets a four room system...

splits up the receivers...
split the monthly cost

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:04 PM

BB2005...you are SO bad!!!!!!............but I like it
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 03:57 AM

I've set up the same service as soulpatch with my bank, plus the person at the bank handling my acount, has my e-mail adress, in case IF something comes up that needs to be confirmed through me.
AND to get this e-mail asap, I use an NOKIA Communicator cellphone ( but there are MANY others with have this features too) - I get my URGENT mails (I set that up on my e-mail account) directly pushed on my cellphone.
And I was VERY happy with this option till now. Worked in BCS as long as I'm within Antennas boundaries.
The newest Communicator (9200i) has also WLAN.
I can reply directly ( either over the phone, OR connecting it to Laptop) or will do so from next net-cafe.

If using a netcafe - NEVER giving any details concerning creditcards etc. Just telling my contact at the bank YES OR NO, and Thanky You, by replying his Mail. Something I made clear before leaving my country ( like a code).

If all goes wrong and I'm not reachable within short time. The bank has a contact person's phonenumber, and the person has a written letter that he/she is entitled to handle stuff to some limit.
THEN I have always a member of family, or close friend who is looking after stuff, like - opening envelopes from incoming postal mail to check whats in it, OR is willing in case - paying it for me (- gets money when I'm back).
I had this sort of arrangements over many years while I was abroad. Worked very well.
Beside all - how often are you expecting to be in the situation to handle Bankbusiness while travelling?

Anyhow, after I'm finished at a netcafe or any other PC which isn't mine - I delete MY HISTORY on the PC before leaving! ( I hope thats enough, till now never had problems).
And I make sure to tick ON the option (before signing in on mail) DO NOT REMEMBER my sign in name etc...
my 2 cents - Farasha

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 03:57 PM

Reefrocket! How great to hear your "voice"! I take it you are headed to Baja soon? When and where are you going? Saludos, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 08:35 PM

As far as satellite internet, Starband nova pro service is only $49 a month with a 12 month commitment, You can get a whole portable kit with a .98 meter antenna for under $1600 including the birdog meter for aiming and they let you put it on vacation hold for up to 6 months each year.

The .98 meter antenna lets you connect anywhere in Baja, most of mainland Mexico, most of Canada and Alaska also without having to change satellites like you have to on Hughes.

It's the fist modem with a 24VDC native power input that only uses at most 75watts and only when transmitting. Plug it into a cig lighter with a 12 X 24 volt converter for about $20 or direct wire to 24VDC.

Takes less than 30 min to set up after a few practice trys.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 10:58 PM

First to ALL, I say thank you for your replies. It seems that the consencus of opinion is "get a laptop".
As to satelite - 'any thing'!--- way beyond my present means and probably future means. And as I have few need for contacts over the net - I do have a few critical events that are not schedulable (if that's a word) and fund that I would like to watch since I would be far from home. I've found that my home mail watchers are not as reliable as I had hoped.
Again thanks to all

To Sally- check U2U in a minute or so.

To Bus - sure wish I could afford and justify the system you proposed (but do pass along your site when ever I can).
PS hope to meet some day so you can finish the "story!"
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:08 AM

Reef rocket. I too would love to meet you. I will be in Elias Calles from Dec 7th to the 21st in case you get down that far around then. you can use our connection for free if you want.

Ah the Pillar and the Atomic fireball story...I would love to finish that online but it was getting to easy to identify the folks involved and since it referenced dynamite, the Mexican armed forces including a destroyer with helicopters off the coast of Rancho Nuevo in Elias Calles, and a host of other hilarious, and scary but questionable actions I was asked to stop it at that point.
We can have a beer with the folks involved if you make it down......who knows it may even be Pillars birthday again when you get down and we finally meet.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.