Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Vision
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:44 AM
A Vision

Epiphany

About twenty years ago, on a week-long business trip to the Los Angeles area I had an awakening on the crowded freeway. Rush-hour traffic had my stretch of highway in virtual gridlock – my view of the road ahead was uncountable cars and trucks to the horizon. Hot and grouchy I took out my imaginary Spaceman’s vaporizing pistol and began to vaporize the vehicles, clear a path so I could proceed unimpeded.

The pistol had great power and range; the roadway was quickly emptying when I stopped to consider my options. Better not wipe out everybody, better leave the red and green grocery truck because I’ve got to have food. Might be a good idea to leave that ambulance alone, the little white Chevy driven by a nurse, let the PG&E guy stay because I’ll need power and lights, don’t touch the milk truck, etc. There’s a car I’ll leave alone; guy has a guitar and I gotta have my tunes. The few vehicles left on the roadway after my cherrypicking, left the imaginary highway open for clear sailing as far as the eye could see.

The harmless little mind exercise was trying to show me the path to a happier life. It was trying to show me that I didn’t need much to be happy and free. Or, the notion that I could measure my future happiness in how much personal freedom I could achieve, that I could handle the trade-off of having less material wealth and more space and time to use what little I wound up with.

I couldn’t act on my impulses right then and there. It would take another ten years but after carrying this little mantra, this little golden gem of a mental talisman around in my head set me on a dead-bang course for retirement in a little fishing village by the sea somewhere in Mexico. When it was time to go, I knew it, made my move and have never looked back.

Any other Nomads out there “had a vision?”
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:55 AM

Thanks for sharing that---enjoyed it a lot.

Diane

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:07 AM

I've had the epiphany also.
Actually, I've had the exact same thoughts on the freeway.
We moved from the city to the country.
It's still not enough in my long-range mind, but it will do for now.
Hopefully Baja sometime soon.......

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 12:22 PM

:yes:, I have those visions too, and they keep coming more often latly - YES I guess its time to move then! Everyone has his BAJA visions, one way or other!

Edit - I forgot - mine is: driving with a Hummer or a Tank,on top of them all :fire:

[Edited on 27-11-2006 by FARASHA]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 12:31 PM

Osprey,
My visions weren't nearly as peaceful. I had more of a vision being in one of the largest tanks in our army's arsenal and running over all the so-and-so's impeding my progress. Never gave it a thought of leaving anyone out. Now in Loreto, Nopolo, with 15 years of very quiet and peaceful living under my belt, am faced with Loreto Bay. Maybe another tank run is in order shortly ??:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 12:38 PM
Great story, Osprey, but--------

-------I lived in the National Parks (Grand Canyon, Glacier, Dinosaur, Cape Hatteras) for 7 years and then moved back to the city, or rather the small city (85K). I got so tired of having to drive 30 + or - miles everytime I wanted to buy something :lol: I have never looked back, either. :tumble:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 01:13 PM
You use a pistol on the freeway

I use an uzi.:lol:

Seriously though Osprey, during my recent epiphany I was more keyed in on reflection. Reflecting on my idle time vs my productive time.

Yes. this is my idle time posting here. While there, I resist idling. Full throttle in Baja. Kick back? No way!

Well, when you only spend fractions of your life in a wondrous place, it tends to squeeze mo energy from yer soul per life unit.:biggrin:

Good words Osprey.
spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 03:32 PM

Ospey,
Great story!You have put into words the dream I have every day. Not so much the spacegun, but the running to Baja. We are, as of today exactly 2years and 10 months from our pull out of here date and get to our "vision". Glad to hear how other people came to the same conclusion. Thanks for the ray of hope!
Spike

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.