Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: -letter of consent -minors
lifski

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 02:50 PM
-letter of consent -minors

-Hi there.

-i am a bit confused here - i am travelling to mexico in january with my 3 year old daughter.
- was advised on lonely planet TT to get a letter of consent from my daughters father.
-so contacted mexican embassy here in copenhagen, denmark about content etc of this letter, and they informed me that this is no longer needed.
Anyone knows head or tail or anything?
Thanks in advance
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 03:44 PM

The letter of consent is required to enter the U.S. from Mexico--still. I don't know if the Mexican authorities at the airport will require one or not. If I were you, I'd phone the Mexican consulate; they will certainly know.
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 03:47 PM

Opps-----didn't read carefully, sorry. As of the last of September, the letter was required to enter the U.S. from Mexico, but if you aren't doing that, perhaps it is no longer necessary in Mexico.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 03:51 PM

I would get one anyways. Depending on which way the wind is blowing , they may ask for it, if they do you better have one.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:43 PM

Just get it done... Better to have it and not need it Than to need it and not have it!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, Mexico required minors to have notorized permission slips from any parent not with the minor when traveling in Mexico... This was to insure that no one parent or others were kidnapping a kid into Mexico.

The U.S. never requested any such notorized permission paper when returning to the U.S... I traveled dozens of times to Mexico with my kids without their mother as well as taking their friends without either of their friends' parents on trips to Baja... from 2001-Today and have never been questioned by U.S. customs...nor, gotten the red light and questioned by Mexican customs when the kids are with me... for that matter.

Your airline will let you know flying requirements... I do know that children flying into Mexico from the U.S. were required to have a notorized paper from the missing parent... in the recent past.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:50 PM
Letter from Mx. counsulate

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 11:59 AM
To: webmaster@consulmexny.org
Subject: FW: travel into Mexico

Dear Ms. Garcia:

By law, minors are no longer required to travel with parental consent.
JG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:59 PM
Traveled in May..no prob...Here is the entire exchange

Dear Ms. Garcia:

Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 1:23 PM
Subject: travel into Mexico

To whom it may concern,

Please provide me with information regarding travel into Mexico as a
divorced single parent with a minor child. The court has awarded me
joint custody and the sole right to obtain and hold a U.S. passport for
the child. Will a passport be the only travel papers my child and I
will need or will we need a travel authorization form signed by the
other parent be necessary as well? Thank you for your help,Anna
Vogelsang
Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:31 PM

Traveled last Sept. to Mexico wit my daughter and had a letter of consent. I was told no longer needed and they wouldn't even look at it, going either way.

\"He, who farts in church,
Must sit in own pew\"
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JG

Dear Ms. Garcia:

Well on June 23 2006 in TJ, I was asked for the consent form, luckily I had it. They would not of issued our tourist permits without it. I wasnt asked for it in GN, I just showed it to speed up the process.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 06:46 AM
Mexico no longer requires it

For over 10 years as a divorced father I had to get one of these for my minor children - no problem- and was only asked for it one time in about 15 trips. but, recently I was asked to check it out and did so for a friend. the Mex Govt. no longer requires consent from the absent parent for a child to travel in Mexico. this is information I recieved from Alaska and Continental Airlines and confirmed with the Mexican Embassy here in DC.

But, that being said a parent still needs proof of custody- and some kids don't have passports- to direct medical coverage or if the kid gets in trouble and you want to take him/her home, and God forbid the kid has a different last name than your's and something goes south during your trip.

so both airlines and the Embassy recommend that you have some document that shows your parental relationship- birth certificate, or notarized letter from the other parent , or passport that shows your proof of custody.

safe travels-- the suggestion above that --take it and don't need it ,rather than don't take it and then need it-- is wise counsel.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
lifski

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 03:13 AM

-thank you all for answering. Thing is...do not have the worlds best relationship with other parent, so really happy i dont have to bring it. Do have sole custedy, and will follow advise to bring proof of this.
Thanks again all - will return for more advise regarding the trip

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.