BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mexico cracking down on unlicensed Radio operators in B.C.S area
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
My VHF, I'm supposing you mean Marine VHF and yes there is supposed to be a different license.

Where would one obtain a license for VHF if one were required? Every other house in the San Felipe area has one and we have always used them freely. Even to call the police in the South Campos.

Do locals have to get one too?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 04:27 PM

I too am in San Felipe where the cab company uses channel 8 etc. I don't know where one would get the license, probably Mexicali, but the use of these radios in this area is all against all the rules anyway - so having a license wouldn't make the use allowable. As I understand it, ALL marine radios should be licensed.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 05:12 PM
MARINE VHF

Speaking of.......Bass Pro stores (and catalogs) have the Midland handheld 5 watt/12 mile range on sale for $39.99 each (with rebates)...a really good deal, usually $59.99. I have 2, and they work great........BUT ONLY ON THE WATER (legal disclaimer added)

[Edited on 12-6-2006 by bajaguy]
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I don't know where one would get the license, probably Mexicali, but the use of these radios in this area is all against all the rules anyway - so having a license wouldn't make the use allowable. As I understand it, ALL marine radios should be licensed.

You must have a license to LEGALLY operate a VHF radio in Mexico. A Ham license does not cover you. Communications on the water is the ONLY place where VHF radios can be LEGALLY used anywhere in the world. This has largely been ignored in Mexico. It is my understanding that the Mexican Navy is getting involved because some of their emergency communications have been disrupted by illegal use of unlicensed radios on shore. VHF radios have also been reported to be used on land for the drug trade and the military is attmpting to do something about it. A VHF license can be obtained for marine use at the office of the Capitania del Puerto - the Port Captains office - at any port of entry. In San Felipe, his office is located adjacent to the marina. The license is less than $5 per year.

I think you will find that VHF use on land in Baja will become less prevalent as cell towers are added. VHF is "line of sight", receiver to receiver communications and therefore is not very effective on land but has a range of about 15 miles at sea. Oftentimes, range on land is less than 5 miles depending on the terrain. Cell phones, VOIP internet communications, and satellite communications are much more efficient, effective, and legal on land.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Unfortunately the Zenith Trans Oceanic radios do not have the single-side-band capabilities so it is hard to pick up the ham operators and their weather broadcasts.

For really good listening I use the RADIO SHACK DX-398 receiver with their production wire antennae, which does have single side band capability and is digital. The DX-398 is out of production now, but you can pick them up on E-bay for a reasonable price----I paid $150-----they are stellar radios. The SANGEAN ATS-909 is the same radio, and is still in production, I believe. From Sangean they run about $300 tho, but they too are sometimes available on E-bay for much less.

The CHUBASCO NET opens in the morning at 7:30 AM, on 7.294 Mhz (lower side band). Good talk on weather in the Gulf-----lots of Yachty talk, too. This one is my favorite.

The SONRISA NET operates on 3.968 Mhz beginning at 7:00 AM winter and summer.

The US Coast Guard has weather forecasts from San Francisco every day at 9:30 PM (PDT) on 4426 Khz, 8764 Khz, and 13089 Khz and you can receive them on the better digital radios (DX-398).

(all this info from an excellent article on Baja by Ed Gillet in SUNSET MAGAZINE June 1999 )

I cannot add anything to what Bruce says here about a better antennae for the Trans Oceanic-----I use the built-in whip, but you are right the reception is not that great, especially as compared with the DX-398.

I am really pretty much a novice at this, so I may have already told you more than I really know. :O

My Zenith Trans Oceanic radio dose have single-side-band capabilities and it works pretty good.:bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 06:07 PM

OXXO, it is not entirely true that on the water is the ONLY place to use a VHF radio worldwide. There are many licensed base stations on the VHF frequency. Maybe the most familiar are Vessel Assist stations, the Coast Guard, marine operators as well as many private citizens who operate on a shore-to-ship basis.

But thanks for the info on where to get a Mexican VHF license. That's worth it for 5 bucks a year.

BTW, I frequently get range of over 40 miles with VHF on the water. Atmospherics, I would imagine.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Jack, my New Years resolution is to get my license in '07. As I live in a tract with a pretty strict HOA, I doubt I will get approval for an antenna on my roof.

As you will discover if you delve into ham lore, there are creative ways to deal with that situation. Have an attic with a wooden roof? No? Well, patriotism's all the rage these days, how about a nice flagpole...? :>

--Larry

My God, Larry, you're absolutely right!

Living here in the largest concentration of Republicans in California (The Unreal OC), I could probably get that ex-gunnery sargeant who is the HOA prez to raise the flag for me occasionally.

Hell, it's my patriotic DUTY!!!:light:

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 07:46 PM

Hook, Larry is right about hidden antennas. A flagpole, attic antenna, even a vertical on the ground work. Search around as some manufacturers make such things.

I use a Kenwood TS50 in the sailboat. 100 watts, all ham bands, marine bands. Size of a small CB radio. Icom makes a similar unit. You can drive an amplifier with them if you want more power. Yaesu also has one. These are also on the used market from dealers, ebay or listings on the internet. Lots to choose from. All work on 12VDC.

VHF marine freqs are for use on the water as others have mentioned. In the USA we boaters do not have to have a VHF license for marine VHF, but the FCC rules require you to have a license if you travel internationally (also for any radar, EPIRB, etc.) The VHF license (actually a license to transmit on any marine freq) from the US FCC is about 100 dollars, good 10 years. You must also have an operators license which I forget the fee. Now, realistically do people traveling "internationally" get the US FCC license? Who knows? But, all the SSB marine nets require the assigned call letters be given when a station is participating in the net. These are the call letters assigned by the FCC with the station license. Mariners don't have the database to check calls (borrowed or made up), but hams do. QRZ.com is a site that lets you enter a ham call to verify the authenticity. There is a CD available to do the same. Many ham nets do check calls, never heard of marine nets doing so. Here in the Sea of Cortez cruisers just use their boat name on VHF marine, but I guess should be using their call letters too just like marine SSB. Maybe it will come to that if SCT starts cracking down.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 09:39 AM

Just lost out in bidding on a TS-50 and the AT-50 on ebay. It went for 605.00. :(

Oh well, hopefully others will surface. Impressive list of good reviews on the unit on e-ham. Unfortunately, Kenwood decided to discontinue the unit this year.

K.Collins

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 11:27 PM
I us Marine VHF and CB are the O.K. or???

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
here is a neat sit in English that shows every thing you newed to know about transmitting in mexico

73Do I need a license for CB or marine VHF while in Mexico!!!

http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html

http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Just lost out in bidding on a TS-50 and the AT-50 on ebay. It went for 605.00. :(

Oh well, hopefully others will surface. Impressive list of good reviews on the unit on e-ham. Unfortunately, Kenwood decided to discontinue the unit this year.

Hook every thing withe Radios is going real high right now on Ebay the best time to buy this stuff is after the holidays and before tax time. that is when you get the real bargains.:light:

sell now buy then.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 10:24 PM

That's good advice, Bruce. I am not that up on the whole ebay thing, really.

synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Just lost out in bidding on a TS-50 and the AT-50 on ebay. It went for 605.00
. :(

Wow, seems like a lot to pay just to avoid the costs of a cell phone
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by synch
Quote:
Just lost out in bidding on a TS-50 and the AT-50 on ebay. It went for 605.00
. :(

Wow, seems like a lot to pay just to avoid the costs of a cell phone

Synch, you're just not getting the attraction of R-A-D-I-O. And it's more than just a retro thing.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 10:29 AM
It's a Hobby Thing.

With today's technology and steadily falling prices on electronics, Ham radio can no longer be justified on a dollar basis, but there are thousands who simply enjoy it.

I'm another one of those who don't get the attraction of Ham Radio. In the past, I've had more than one friend devoted to it. One of those had a gigantic antenna system in his back yard and would stay up into the early a.m. hours talking to others all over the world. Different Strokes.

Of course, I'm one of those who doesn't even like talking on the telephone unless I have a specific purpose. When I'm at home in El Norte, my answering machine is ALWAYS ON if I'm there to screen calls and when I'm out of the house, my voicemail picks up. I NEVER answer my phone. When it comes to Cel Phones, the CHEAPEST call plan is more than I use, in the U.S or Baja.

IF I were going to be somewhere beyond Cel phone or VOIP Internet service, I'd buy a Satellite phone. The price is comparable to any radio equipment you might buy and the per minute charges are only significant if you're a Chatter.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.