Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mexicali border crossing
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 10:09 PM
mexicali border crossing

Two questions:

Is there a migracion office and bank at the crossing in Mexicali?

Will a birth certificate and drivers license substitute for a passport for the purpose of getting a tourist card?

Many thanks.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 10:42 PM

I know they have a migration office at the border. It's been years since I crossed there so I couldn't tell you how to find it. I know there are banks nearby. I will be crossing there next month in a car so I'd love to hear more from others.

You can use a birth certificate and valid drivers license. The birth certificate needs to be original and/or notarized.

I've used the birth certificate before in Mexico for ID; but, I found I allways faced much more scrutiny by the authorities when doing so.

After Jan 8,2007 (Next month) you will need a passport to return to the US by air. You may be driving down; but, have to return by air due to emergency, etc.. So I think a passport is the way to go if you can get one in time.

I belive that passports will be required to return to the US by land in about a year or so, so you might as well get one now if you can.

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by Mango]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 11:11 PM

Imigration and banks at both Mexicali Ports of Entry. Mexicali East, (new) is the easiest I think. Park after coming through customs and go in the building on your right (as you drive in). Banks are just to the south near the customs inspection area.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 11:22 PM

The Migracion office is directly to left of the signals as you cross the border. You will pay your fee at Banjercito which across and to the west in an area before the signals. The border runs at an angle there. Parking is a problem so you may want to park in the bank area. Trun right into this area before you cross. You will see a bunch of cars and offices there. From there it is a short walk to Migracion. Once you get your papers dirve though the signals. An original or nortorized birth certificate will do. You can also use a voter registration card which you can get from your county voter registration office... Enjoy!!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 07:32 AM

The east crossing is the way to go in Mexicali. Stay to the far right (declaration lane) and park not more than 50' from the office immediatly on the right as you enter the lane. Just tell the guards that you are getting a Tourist card, and they will point to the parking area. The bank is the furthest building south on right.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.