Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toy trailer question?
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:08 AM
Toy trailer question?

Just bought a ATV trailer for my Polaris 500 Sportsman and it(ATV) weighs 715#. As usual, I was not thinking when I bought a trailer to haul it on. It is the right size, but has a dropped axle with 4" ground clearance. Is it going to be absolutely necessary to change the axle?
It also has 12", 5 hole wheels and 12X480 tires. I am replacing all tires (3). Is there a better Baja tire I should use?
What is the best setup for hauling an ATV? Maybe I will sell the trailer and start over????:?:
I want a trailer, because I want to car top my 14' tin on top of ATV. (next trip)
Any and all Ideas PLEASE:bounce::bounce::bounce:
The Rookie...

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:42 AM

Al,

12" tires don't hold up that well on rough roads, plus they are hard and make the trailer bounce too much. Also, trying to find a 12" replacement tire is impossible. When you smoke a tire, the rim usually goes too. If your going to add the extra weight of a boat and the rack to carry it plus any other gear your going to haul on it might be too much weight for that trailer. The frame of that trailer is probably too light also, if the axle and tires were set up for a specific weight as well. So just changing the axle out might be overkill for the light frame.

You might have to start over. Keep the fender width the same as your tow vehicle, that helps, and have at least a 3500# axle with 14" tires minimum. That size tire will be readily available should you have to get a replacement while traveling in Baja. When in doubt, carry two spares, I do.

A good trailer is built by Carson, they are sturdy, and the fenders are attached very well, also, their trailers have a sturdy angle iron surround to contain your load, and plywood sides could be added easily for the smaller items difficult to tie down. Also, the built in ramps are handy but rattle a lot, use ATV ramps instead, that can be easily adjusted for width of any quad, and are light weight.

I have dragged a lot of trailers up and down Baja for years, the fenders and rails seem to come loose first, so strength is the key. Buddy bearings are a must also for lubricating the bearings.

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:31 AM

Good info Warrior. My frame is custom made with 3" and 4" X1/4" Channel Iron. (the main reason I bought it). The 3500#
axle is good info. Is 8" axle clearance acceptable?
Is there a name brand 14" tire for Baja, I can use? I would like to be able to air down.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:49 AM

Little 12" wheels spell "big trouble" for any trailer; boat, utility, or anything else. Ought to be illegal to use 'em on the hwy.:no:
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 12:51 PM

Al,

Trailer rated tires with a minimum "C" rating should be used, radial or non radial. Any other tire is just a passenger tire and not meant for the weight trailers could ultimately carry. Trailer rated tires in a 14" can take up to 50#'s of air where regular passenger tires only hold a maximum of 35#'s.

I use Discount Tire here in San Diego, any brand marked "Trailer Rated" that hold 50#'s with a "C" rating should be sufficiant for your medium requirements. The load your talking about should only require about 35#'s. More air if you have extra weight for a long trip.

8" clearance is plenty.

Good luck! Have a safe trip.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 01:29 PM
Just my 2 cents worth------

-----if you are going to do much driving in the dirt, do NOT get the "slipper type" springs-----if they don't crystalize, they will wear out the frame where they "slip", whichever comes first it puts you out of business.

Have springs that are attached with a flexible bracket at each end of the spring (flexible at least at one end). If it is set up to accomodate shock asorbers, so much the better.

Trailers take a really horrible beating on the dirt roads of Baja, and I personally have had 2 trailers totally self-destruct before I wised up and got one beefed up enough to withstand the beating, and even that one is questionable.

If you do not have enough clearance between the ground and the axle and you strike a rock you WILL bend an axle, and that is not pleasent.

I recommend avoiding trailers all together, but if you must then take the precautions and have it built TOUGH!!!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 01:41 PM

Al

Look up under Hitch carriers on E Bay, they fit in the receiver and can be bought that will hold an atv.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 01:41 PM

use radials.
bias will turn to rages and blow when running low air

jerry and judi
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:00 PM

jerry...Thanks for the tip..had a feeling radials had more flex.

Comitan....Have been looking at hitch carriers, but Polaris is over their rating, not to mention I have a 150# scooter to carry too.

Barry A...I was wondering about slipper type. Only makes sense...accomodate shock asorbers...never heard of that, hope I can find them.

Warrrior..."C" trailer rated is my new goal...Mucho gracia.

My trailer may not be worthy, but with your all input I have a chance.
Any info on the shock absorber Thing would help if I can find it..,:cool:
I am a short timer here.....:biggrin:
This trailer is the only issue left...
First Nomad I meet will get a special beer.
Hugs to all pretty women too...
oops... I meant NOMAD women...A little ambitious to say ALL.
Darn this hole I am diggin' is gettin' deep...:biggrin::lol::biggrin:

[Edited on 12-5-2006 by Al G]

Albert G

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:10 PM

the 3500 gvw axial is good but mount it with the drop center up or upside down for good clearance and go to 15 inch or better 16 inch wheels. you will need longer ramps if you use them but the clearance will be killer.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 11:38 PM
Al G-----

------I too have never seen a production utility trailer with shock absorbers, but I have seen them added.

My son uses an old Datsun pickup bed for his Baja trailer, with the original axle still under it (very tough) which has the old stock shock absorbers mounts which we used to put bilstine shocks on---------really works great. WE also added add-a-leafs to the spring packs which makes it perfect for Baja. The conversion to "trailer" was done by a professional welder and is way tough------I mean TOUGH!!! WE have never had any problems with it, and my son is an aggressive driver-----pulls it with a Toy FJ-40.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.