Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road southwest from San Javier
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 08:41 PM
Road southwest from San Javier

Does anyone know the current condition of the road southwest from San Javier to the Ciudad Insurgentes - San Isidro highway?

According to Danny Palmerlee's *Baja & Los Cabos*, 6th ed. (Lonely Planet, 2005), "the road leading southwest from San Javier ... is much improved and passable for any vehicle with good clearance."

But hurricanes may have changed things since then.

I will be driving a mini-pickup with slide-in cab-over camper and towing a small utility trailer. Consider that I have plenty of experience driving on rough backroads, but my vehicles do have their limitations. Probably the most important limitation as far as conventional requirements are concerned is that any grades probably should not be greater than 10 percent. (The special concern about steep grades: Stalling can be quite dangerous on mountainous roads; the power brakes and power steering will quit and backing downhill can be extremely difficult; rear view mirrors must be used; and front brakes and wheels can freeze up so that steering is impossible while the rear wheels continue to roll.)

Is the roadway wide enough to allow high-clearance vehicles to pass without having to back up? Of particular importance is the condition of the road on any steep sections, especially at any hairpin curves or places where the geography may be precipitous.

Richard
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 07:38 AM

I was on that road last year pre hurricane and it was good. A few ditches to cross but nothing a car couldn't handle. I don't remember any steep grades until you get right to town and it's not bad. I think you would be fine. I would think that they would have graded it since the hurricane so it might be in better shape. I also believe that the 1000 went that way.
Have a great time. If you get a chance to go to La Purisima stop and say hi to My friend Jim Dandy. Just ask everyone knows where he lives
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MICK
... I don't remember any steep grades until you get right to town and it's not bad. ...
Mick

Mick, It sounds like you may be describing the road from Loreto to San Javier. After my planned drive on that road and visit to San Javier I am interested in continuing on southwest from there to the Ciudad Insurgentes - San Isidro highway.

I am under the impression that most visitors to San Javier both arrive and return via Loreto. So I would guess that the road between Loreto and San Javier may be much better than the road southwest from San Javier to the Ciudad Insurgentes - San Isidro highway.

Does your description apply to that second segment as well southwest of San Javier?

I suppose the condition of that second segment may perhaps depend largely on how much influence the local ranchos have on road maintenance there.

Richard
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:00 PM

Many thanks, Mick.

I guess not many people who use this message board travel southwest from San Javier. Aside from the 1000 that went that way earlier this year I would guess that the road is traveled mainly by locals from the nearby ranchos.

I'll tentatively plan on going that way, but will very likely ask about road conditions again when I get to Loreto and to San Javier. Surely people in San Javier would know the current condition, and besides, I think I'd probably visit San Javier even if I had to double back through Loreto afterwards.

But many thanks. Your reply gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.