BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Xmas in Baja - old trip report (7 of 7)
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 03:11 AM
Xmas in Baja - old trip report (7 of 7)

Jan. 1-3

Went over to see the Mission, and at the petroglyph site near the Mission, we found an archeologist and group camped there. We had met the other half of their group near Tres Pozos on the other coast. Small world when it is; only 60 miles across. A fancy new gate and fence showed off the adobe Mission ruins well. By this time, many of our people had headed home to take up their real lives. We took the last remaining soul to the Las Pintas petroglyph site southeast of El Rosario. There was no water in the waterfall so we got to explore the maze of passageways underneath the boulders below the falls. He was more interested in the fossil filled boulders than the rockart.

On the way out, we decided to check how far up Arroyo San Fernando we could drive. After a few miles, the road dumped us into a ranch compound (Rancho San Felipito) filled with two dozen people. Torn piñatas littered the ground. Apparently the relatives and kids had gathered for a big New Years Eve celebration. They talked us out of going further on the "malo camino", so we turned around and retraced our route to the highway. Headed home, we stopped for the night at Celito Lindo in San Quintin. The food was good which augurs well for the Spring Gathering there that M is cooking up.

The next morning we headed for the Tecate border crossing (the only way to go). As usual, we stopped for lunch at Mustafa’s restaurant a few miles past Ensenada. The catch of the day was swordfish, which had –surprise!- a fishy taste. Next time we will ask what kind of fish before we order. At the border, in response to the usual question of "What do you have with you?" I answered, "Just an old wife and an old dog". La Migra rolled her eyes and said ‘Pass friend, you will soon have big troubles talking like that". And so I did.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 09:55 AM

WONDERFUL to read this (again)... Thanks Neal!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 12:37 PM
Neal--------

First time for me to read, and I loved it!! You guys sure covered a LOT of territory on that trip!!! Much of what you saw I have also seen, but lots is new to me------sure makes me want to go searching again. Impressive that you actually could drive to the Palomar Canyon Rancho-------it was impossible for so many years. My first trip to that Rancho was in 1961, or so, driving a rented huge flatbed truck with 10 people in the back-------we looked like "wood cutters". :lol: The Tropical storms of 1976 and 77 wiped out all access to that Rancho, I believe, but apparently it is opened up again.

Thanks for this timely post-----------the desert at Christmas is so special.

barry
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 06:03 PM

Barry A.
Shortly after leaving the palm log corral, there is a split in the road, the right fork takes you into the very rocky stream bed which is frequently impassable after a big rain. At some point in time a bypass of a few tenths was made (the left fork) and it is the way to go.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 07:42 PM
Thanks, Neal------

My son and I will have to try that-----it would be good to get up there again. Darn, I wish I still lived in El Centro and I could do it tomorrow---------------------:yes:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 12:07 AM

Thanks Neal, great trip.
Iflyfish

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.