Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2007 SCORE BAJA "1000"
elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 07:57 AM
2007 SCORE BAJA "1000"

TextJust talked with Charlie Englebart, he said that next years Baja 1000 will be the Baja 2000, starting in TJ, ceremonial start to Ensenada then race to Cabo (much like the Baja 2000 back in 2000). Tech and Contingency in TJ but Charlie would like it to be in San Diego (never gonna happen). As far as I know this is public knowledge because Charlie said Sal announced it at the Awards. Funny, no one has said anything....does this mean I'm the leak?!?!?! Wardy

A retired investor, living on a pension
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 08:43 AM

Nope, no secret... Carlos (Baja Pits) told us that the '07 Baja 1000 would start in Tijuana, as did the original NORRA '67 Mexican 1000. It wasn't clear that it would be a 2000 and go all the way to Cabo, however.

Perhaps go east to Laguna Salada then south... ?

The 1967 race did start in Tijuana, but restarted again in Ensenada after a controlled run to that city. They had pavement to near Colonet to race on, and again for a hundred miles north of La Paz, to the finish... Using the main transpeninsular road except from San Ignacio to La Poza Grande, where it went the short route south bypassing old main road towns of Santa Rosalia, Mulege and San Jose Comondu.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 10:58 AM

that's going to be way expensive for teams to run it one way again, 2 years in a row.

i'll believe it when i see it in a more official capacity, it is pretty early to confirm that. i hope it doesn't, i like to watch from alfi's all night long, great party. and cheaper for me!!:smug:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 02:29 PM

The SCORE web site says the 1000 dates are Nov 11-16. Probably the start will be similar to the 95 race. TJ to La Rumorosa, down the dirt switchback and on to San Felipe and south. That top section was a great section once out of TJ. The down hill at La Rumorosa was the best.
elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:27 PM

TT,

I was at the awards Sat night and Sal never mentioned the words “stage”, “qualifier,” or “2000 miles.” He did say it was to be a ceremonial start in TJ with the actual race from ENS to CSL.

I did, however, take this picture of the map they unveiled. It’s not a race course map, but highlighting the towns it’s supposed to pass through. Connect the dots (i.e., speculate away) however you wish. You won’t ruin it for me.

(SEVE)

*******************************************************************************************************************************

As I understand it there will be a qualifying run from the Bullring in TJ to Ensenada where we will spend the night. Next morning cars will be started in Ensenada based on how they qualified in the run from TJ to Ensenada the day before. The race will finish in Cabo.

I'm not saying that's how it's going to happen. I'm only saying that is how I understand what I've been told about how it's going to happen. No matter how it goes down, three things seem to be clear.

1. You need rooms in TJ.
2. You need rooms in Ensenada for a night.
3. You need rooms in Cabo.

Right now, that's enough for me to know.

(GRT)

A retired investor, living on a pension
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 04:29 PM

ElChinero, do you recall any of the towns on the map? Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 07:02 PM

i had heard it as the 1500 and not all the way to cabo. will see.:coolup:
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 08:52 PM
Here is all I know

http://www.baja.net/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=10331&sta...

[Edited on 12-14-2006 by BajaNomad]

PC0900202.jpg - 39kB

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:15 PM
2007 Baja 1000

SCORE Awards had it all...

Start in TJ at the Bull Ring (Ceremonial) for the 40th run on Monday 12th, with a controled run down the hwy to Ensenada. Tuesday tech/ contingency on the streets of Ensenada. Wednesday start, with run down the "map", as shown with the "stars". Friday, 17th, awards in Cabo, so everyone has the weekend to drive home:tumble:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 08:31 AM

2000 miles would require a better than 40 mph average to finish in 48 hours. A little fast for some of the classes. Even 1500 miles would require better than 30 mph. Of course the TTs and Cl1s can make it and TV cares little about the rest.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 08:45 AM

Baja 2000 was 80 hours and had better than a 70% finish rate.

Geronimo
BajaKamper

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Geronimo, how did you get this photo and do you have his permission to re-post it?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 08:13 AM

From the map it looks like they would be hard pressed to get 1500 miles, they would have to criss cross more. Maybe 1200 miles would be more like it. 1200 miles would have a 48 hr time limit. Wasn't the 2000 race finally like 1500-1600 miles. Hard to get 2000 miles except a down and back up deal.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaKamper
Quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Geronimo, how did you get this photo and do you have his permission to re-post it?

Its a internet pass around photo, I don't know who took it. It was posted in a public place where cammeras were aloud so it is fair game. You can tell Sal that Honda knows where to find me.

The Baja 2000 was over 1800 miles, not sure of the exact number right now. It criss crossed more but also did not go to San Felipe.

Geronimo
elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 08:56 AM

A palo mine took the pic of the Baja map to the 2006 Awards @ Primm. Do'n hafta have his "permission", so to write, as he sent it to me to broadcast to the great unwashed masses.
elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 05:22 PM

SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark 702.735.7123

December 14, 2006

Nov. 10-16, 2007
Historic adventure from Tijuana-Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas
To honor the 40th Anniversary of the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000

Festivities for the celebration to include spectacular events
In addition to 1,200-plus mile granddaddy of all desert races

TIJUANA, Mexico—Starting the launch of a nearly year-long anniversary celebration, plans for next year’s 40th Annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 desert race were unveiled today during a media conference at the Caliente Racetrack in Tijuana, Mexico. With major festivities planned in Tijuana and Ensenada along with a 1,200-plus mile race to the tip of the Baja California peninsula in Cabo San Lucas, the 2007 granddaddy of all desert races will be held Nov. 10-16.
In making the announcement, Sal Fish, SCORE CEO and President, praised the efforts of government and tourism officials in both states of Baja California and Baja California Sur, saying, “We would not be here today if it were not for the coordinated efforts and cooperation of both of these Mexican states and its counties. This anniversary celebration is a monumental undertaking and it will be the most memorable in the long and storied history of the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 in large part due to the dedicated efforts of the people of the Baja Peninsula.”
Starting with special festivities in the heart of Tijuana on Saturday, Nov. 10, and a unique parade of vehicles, and all of the colorful traditional pre-race pageantry will once again be held in Ensenada on Sunday afternoon, Nov. 11, and all day Monday, Nov. 12).
The green flag will drop in Ensenada on the morning of Tuesday, Nov. 13 and the last checkered flag will drop in Cabo San Lucas during the early morning of Friday, Nov. 16. In between Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas, the 1,200-plus mile course will traverse much of the ruggedly majestic Baja California peninsula.
Nearly 500 sturdy adventurers, from over 40 U.S. States and 20 countries, are expected to compete 28 Pro and 5 Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATVs, in this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
“The SCORE Baja 1000 continues to draw interest from all over the world and we now find second and even third generation racers appearing at the starting line with their family patriarchs cheering for their children,” said Fish. “This event continues to be the focal point of the SCORE Desert Series each year and to celebrate our 40th anniversary may just add the most colorful chapter to the legacy of the SCORE Baja 1000.”
Among the festivities planned for Saturday (Nov. 10) in Tijuana are: a special SCORE Baja Leap competition at the Tijuana River bed. At the Tijuana City Hall Plaza a SCORE Baja Pit Crew Challenge will be held, followed by a Xtreme MX Acrobatics show. Concluding Saturday’s pre-race celebration will be a memorable SCORE Baja 1000 40th Anniversary Welcome party on Revolution Avenue.
On Sunday (Nov. 11) Tijuana pre-race celebration will culminate with a historic parade of SCORE entries from Tijuana’s Bull Ring (where the legend began in 1967) through the main streets of Tijuana down the Toll Road to Ensenada, starting at 11 a.m. and arriving at 2 p.m.
Once in Ensenada, all of the popular and traditional pre-race activities will be held. On Sunday, Nov. 11, the arrival fiesta of the race entries will be held at the Ventana al Mar from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. with autograph sessions, photo opportunities, a vendor village and live music.
Also on Sunday, racer registration will be held from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the San Nicolas Hotel.
Monday’s pre-race activities (Nov. 12) in Ensenada will continue with racer registration at the San Nicolas (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and the colorful SCORE manufacturer’s midway, contingency and tech inspection of all race vehicles from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. adjacent to the San Nicolas. The pre-race driver/rider briefing will be held at 7 p.m. in the Cathedral Room of the Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center.
The magnificent start of the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 will once again be on Blvd. Costero starting with motorcycles and ATVs at 6:30 a.m. followed by the cars and trucks at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 13. The start will once again include the extremely popular and spectator-friendly run up the Ensenada Wash.
While exact details of the race route are still being finalized, SCORE officials said it will be similar to the 2006 SCORE Baja 1000 before heading over to Todos Santos and then to an amazing three-day long finish line SCORE Survivor’s Celebration in Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur.
In its first 39 years, the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 has started 32 times in Ensenada, three times in Mexicali (1972, 1993, 1994), twice in Tijuana (1967, 1995) once in Santo Tomas (1998) and once in Ojos Negros (1999). The legendary race has finished in Ensenada 18 times, in La Paz 17 times, in Mexicali two times (1993, 1994), once in Ojos Negros (1999) and once in Cabo San Lucas (2000).
The famous and not-so-famous have tried their hand at conquering the Baja and they have come from all walks of life. Mark Thatcher, son of Great Britian’s then-prime minister Margaret Thatcher, raced in the 1982 SCORE Baja 1000. Celebrities James Garner, Ted Nugent and the late Steve McQueen all battled the Baja in the early 1970s and many racers from other forms of motorsports crossed over to try their skills.
Among the drivers from other arenas who have tested the Baja were Indy Car racers Rick and Roger Mears, Parnelli Jones, Danny Ongias, Danny Sullivan, Jimmy Vasser, Buddy Rice, Sebastien Bourdais, Oriol Servia, Roberto Guerrero, Michel Jourdain Jr., Johnny Unser and Mike and Robbie Groff, NASCAR’s Robby Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Boris Said and Brendan Gaughan, SCCA legend Elliot Forbes-Robinson, World Rally Champion’s Armin Schwarz, world motorcycle champions Malcolm Smith and Larry Roeseler, Motocross legends Ricky Johnson, Travis Pastrana and Jimmie Johnson (now a NASCAR champion), drag racers Don Prudhomme and Larry Minor and legendary SCORE founder and motorsports innovator Mickey Thompson. Academy Award winning actor, racer and race team owner Paul Newman raced in the 2004 event. Jesse James, of ‘Monster Garage’ fame, and Hollywood film and TV star Patrick Dempsey have both raced this classic in both 2005 and 2006.
Next year’s race will commemorate the achievements of legendary desert racers like Rod Hall, Ron Bishop, Johnny Johnson, and Larry Roeseler. Hall, with a record 18 class wins (including one overall win in 1972), and Bishop are the only two racers who have competed in 39 SCORE Baja 1000 races. Hall will be a favorite in the Stock Mini class while Bishop, is once again be back where he always has--racing every year on a Motorcycle. Johnson, now retired, had 15 class wins, amazingly in eight different classes. Roeseler, has won 15 times in this race, including 12 overall wins (10 on a motorcycle). Roeseler will share driving duties again this year with seven-time SCORE Class 1 season point champion Troy Herbst. Roeseler and Herbst are the three-time defending Class 1 race winners in this race.
Lured by the same siren that enraptured the Ekins brothers in the 1950s, the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 remains as the No. 1 target of adventurers the world over, not to mention the cadre of pro and semi-pro desert racers who consider it the fitting climax to their racing season each year. Only 2007 promises to combine the best of the first 39 years into one masterful, once-in-a-lifetime event.
For more information regarding SCORE International, contact 818.225.8402 or visit the official website of the SCORE Desert Series at www.score-international.com.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 06:53 PM

Well, there ya go. Any questions class. Great job as always TT. The king of info you remain. :yes:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.