BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Secondary search for me.....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 01:44 AM
Secondary search for me.....

Returned Monday through TJ ......got there at 10 PM....30 minute line....agent see my pop up truck camper and says I must go to secondary as this is an "RV"....well -this is quite a compliment .....but he must have been a used car salesman prior to this job.....first time in more than 25 years( used to be a "hippy" and went there once long time ago......

guess it was for "agriculture" inspection....they look in cooler and take dozen eggs....my avacado....and then see two pieces of firewood and ask" what it is for?"......answer "for campfire".....nope -gotta take that also.....they leave after 15 minutes carrying off the "loot".....I feel safe knowing we have these people guarding the border.....:o
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 02:24 AM

Jim, don't feel like the Lone Stranger!! On our last crossing the guard informed us that ALL R.V.'s are now sent to Secondary.

They took our unopened package of Ralph's bacon!!

Bedman
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 09:10 AM

I wonder if tent trailers have to set up their tent?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
Jim, don't feel like the Lone Stranger!! On our last crossing the guard informed us that ALL R.V.'s are now sent to Secondary.

They took our unopened package of Ralph's bacon!!

Bedman

I wonder if that is the case in Tecate???? Jim, did they make you pop the top?

Diane

[Edited on 12-13-2006 by jdtrotter]

CShirk

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:02 AM

If you keep the receipts for the food you bought in the states, they won't take the food.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:11 AM

At Tecate, they sent me to secondary only to hand over my U.S. purchased bundle of firewood (to join the big pile of other's unburned wood)... you know like the ones they sell in super markets....

Eggs, fresh chicken and any pork products are forbidden. It is strange that they took an unopened U.S. pork package from Bedman? Most vegetables are okay except potatos and there is a lot of fruit that can cross north... Get the list from customs!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:16 AM

No secondary on my Tundra with pop top -- two crossings at TJ in last 30 days. They just have me open the back and lift up the bench seat cushion... Also an aging hippy, so it's probably not because of my trustworthy outward appearance. Just don't tell them you know Neal Johns.

:bounce:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:44 AM
No Pork

Although the import regulations specifically ban the importation of ANY Pork products, I went to secondary on one occasion with two packages of Bratwurst purchased in the U.S., one open and one sealed. The Customs agent took the open package and allowed the sealed. He told me that, generally, if the package still has the original seal, they allow it through, but it's a discretionary call by the inspector and not a part of the regulations.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:58 AM

Yes, they make you open the tent trailers. We had ours opened up and they found a bunch of sand dollars and other assorted shells. Convinced them that it was from a prior trip to Northern California. They bought it. They also didn't find the near complete seal skeleton we found. That would have been tougher to explain.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 11:15 AM
The Good Old Days

I have a friend and neighbor who brought across a Whale Skeleton from Baja on the roof rack of his VW Baja Bug years ago. The U.S. Customs agent told him it was against the rules before letting him go through.

It looks great in his front yard.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 11:18 AM

OMG Sculpi. You didn't eat that seal did you?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 12:58 PM

Nah, he probably smoked it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:P

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 01:16 PM

Returning from B1K in our pop up camper we were sent to secondary at Tecate.

One of the agents was apparently having a bad day, based on his attitude and tone of his voice while talking to me, and it got worse for him when he hit his head really hard trying to enter the back of the camper. He staggered back and I actually put my hand up to steady him.

His buddies could not contain their laughter and it was all I could do to remain straight faced. The inspection was over rather quickly after that.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 01:45 PM

In August I got sent to secondary, because I told the agent I had large box of firewood from the US that we had not completely used (orange, avocado, peach, and plum).

Got to secondary, the two agents looked at it; many pieces were riddled with termite holes.
One says to the other, "These look like old insect holes to me, what do you think?"
The other says "I don't know what made those holes, maybe they're natural...."
The fist agent asks me, "You brought these from the US?"
I say, "Yes sir"
“And how long were you in Mexico?”
“10 days”, I say
He says, "Take your wood and have a nice day."

In and out in less than 5 minutes :). They did not even look in any of the coolers or assorted closed boxes full of camping gear
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Returning from B1K in our pop up camper we were sent to secondary at Tecate.

One of the agents was apparently having a bad day, based on his attitude and tone of his voice while talking to me, and it got worse for him when he hit his head really hard trying to enter the back of the camper. He staggered back and I actually put my hand up to steady him.

His buddies could not contain their laughter and it was all I could do to remain straight faced. The inspection was over rather quickly after that.

:lol::lol::lol:

I had the same think happen at aMX checkpoint. The kid saw my wife, must have figured there was no way she could be with me(in the biblical sence) and tried to stick his head in the window as far as he could. What he didn't see was my roof rack for the car topped boat. Wham, bam, he hit the floor, so did most of his buddies that saw it, all rolling with laughter. Inspection over.

I get secondaried almost every time I cross at tecate. No biggie, but one time the guy was looking through the car and finds some sun glasses. I had broken them earlier that day and super glued the frame back together. For some reason he picked them up and tried to closed them. They snapped like a wish bone. I stood there shaking my head and he throws them on the seat, both pieces, and walks off.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 05:38 PM

Crossed at Mexicali East with 33' trailer on Saturday. looked through window and sent me on my way. Maybe it was a couple of years worth of San Felipe Dirt that made him leave it alone.;D Maybe it was the hour and 45 minuet line behind me.

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 06:13 PM

i was about to cry when we were sent to secondary with the boat on top of my pop up camper.we would have been there all day,and lost 3 cases of pacifico,if we had had to go through a full inspection.they just want to look in the freezer and ice chest
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:13 PM

No...didn't have to pop up the top......guess some new regulations in effect as far as "rv's".....
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 02:58 AM

:biggrin: SORRY GUYS; but this ongoing POP the TOP makes me grin any time I read this - having a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT association when thinking about poping my TOP at the border. I was once ( not at US/Mex border) asked during a bodysearch to pop (lift in this case) my TOP. :O
OMG - Although it was a FEMAL officer, I was soooo embarrassed when told. As I didn't wear a bra at that day - it was simply too hot to wear more then a skimpy Top. Since then, whenever I travel, I am properly dressed.:saint:
My share on this subject - even when slightly OFF. :biggrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.