Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Developments in Sonora
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 07:35 PM
Cultural Displacement

For anyone interested, there is an article in today's Los Angeles Times Business Section regarding native Mexican artisans deep in mainland Mexico who make their living handcrafting decorations for which their market is other Mexicans. Their biggest season of the year is Christmas, of course, given the nature of their product. Their livelihood has become increasingly difficult given the price increases for Raw Materials and the fact that their customer base of moderate to poor Mexicans are increasingly turning to cheaper mass-produced decorations from (Drum Roll Please) CHINA.

If anyone is expecting the Mexicans to save their own Native culture and artifacts, they're in for continued disappointment.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Every Mexican I know would rather stay in Mexico. It is lack of opportunity that makes them go North. I know dozens of people in their early 20's in San Carlos. All have university degrees. The opportunities are limited.

Very true. Ultimately I belive Mexico, Canada, and the USA will form something like the EU out of necessity to remain competitive in the global market. I think NAFTA was just the tip of the iceburg.

I've only been traveling to Mexico for 10 years, albeit often and extensively, and in that time I have observed enormus change. The first time I went to Oacaxa in 96' I stayed in a hotel for 70 pesos a night. Last year I stayed in the same hotel for 700 pesos a night.

Cell phones are everywhere, roads are greatly improved in many areas, the ranks of the middle class are exploding...

Mexico is changing.. and much for the better. I just hope they start using more than one floorplan for all their tract homes.. Some of the developments look awful..and I wonder how anyone finds "their" home among all the home clones.

I think Plastic is the real issue with trash. Use of more biodegradable and green plastics/containers is well over due throughout the world. The amount of plastics in the oceans is alarming.

Here is interesting article about plastics and the ocean. Recommended reading for those with their heads above the sand...errr garbage.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 07:38 PM

Mr. Bill, you read the LA times. Boooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

YOU need the OC registar. :lol:

PS Me too

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by Minnow]

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 06:07 AM

yep, Rocky Point was once.............ain't no more. But big frigging deal.
just means ya go find another place.

the vast infrastucture and jobs the gringo enclave brought to RP over the last 30 years has been excellent for the locals and they love it!! good for them and sonora!

Puerto Libertad is the next one, buy now, reap later.
that's REAP, not RAPE!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 02:53 PM

a neighbor & friend who has a home in Cave Creek Ar. & Nopolo (Loreto) recently bought a condo in Puerto Penesco. Says an easy drive from Scottsdale area. Good place to invest right now??????Reading about the highway being built surprised me when it was said that Mayan Palace is paying for the construction of the highway & the port entry.???????? Anyone know about Mayan Palace resorts? I know nothing about them other than the one their building in San Jose del Cabo.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 05:30 AM

Phil, the MP in RP is a real deal! i met one of the principals as he arrived in his jet at RP last year, talked for 30 min, very nice and mui rico guy, USA educated, wealthy mex old money family.

RP real estate is a bit flat right now sfter a 3 year hi rise condo boom. but its a cycle, yes 3-4 hour drive from SDL, i hour flight.
good time to buy, yes. all price ranges $100s to $1Ms plus ++

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 11:59 AM

Mike. Is your comment based on your being in the building trades, or do you have friends that have researched it and are making these recommendations? It's probably a strong market for the Phoenix area residents most likely. And adding the baby boomers who want to experience the "other culture" . How much longer is your 'assignment' before you can return to Phoenix? I've forgotten where you went. Hopefully not DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 02:56 PM

I think RP is a bit jacked up now. I would look a little further South. You get double for your money in SC and its way nicer.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 05:55 PM

yeah, i'd agree there except its double the driving time from phx. but for flyers SC is a big hit.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.