Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NEW SHARK SPECIES DISCOVERED IN SOC
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 10:26 AM
NEW SHARK SPECIES DISCOVERED IN SOC

While sifting through Diverelated websites, I found this article.Maybe it was already on this Forum - did look for it and didn't see it.
Now, it would be interesting if anyone here, has heard from or even seen this Shark??!!

Mexico City, Mexico (Mar 2, 2006 19:26 EST) A Mexican marine biologist has discovered a new shark species in the murky depths of Mexico‘s Sea of Cortez, the first new shark find in the wildlife-rich inlet in 34 years.

Postgraduate student Juan Carlos Perez was on a fishing boat in early 2003 studying sharks from the Mustelus family netted at depths of 660 feet when he noticed some of them had darker skin and white markings.

The sharks, slender, dark gray-brown and around 5 feet (1.5 meters) long, turned out to be a new species that Perez and his team have named "Mustelus hacat," after the word for shark in a local Indian dialect.

"What I first noticed was their color. They are dark in color, like dark coffee, and have white markings on the tips and edges of their fins and tails which jump out at you because they are so dark," Perez told Reuters on Thursday.

"I got back from the boat and the first thing I said was that I thought I had a new species, but I wasn‘t sure until six months on when we did genetic tests," he said, audibly elated.

Worldwide, marine biologists tend to discover two or three new shark species in any given year.

But Perez‘s find -- bringing to five the types of Mustelus shark found in the eastern North Pacific -- is the first shark discovery in the Sea of Cortez since the tiny Mexican Horn Shark (Heterodontus mexicanus) was identified in 1972.

"I wasn‘t looking for something new, but it‘s very satisfying. I‘m very happy," said Perez, 31, who is based at the CICESE science and technology research center at the port of Ensenada in northwestern Baja California state.

His find was published in the U.S. journal Copeia in December.

"There must be more undiscovered species there but access is difficult. If we hadn‘t been on those boats I‘d never have seen them because that‘s the only place they are caught. And it‘s not a region that attracts scuba diving."

There are some 50 to 60 species of shark in the Sea of Cortez, a narrow body of water also known as the Gulf of California that separates Mexico‘s Baja California peninsula from the mainland and is famous for its rich and unique ecosystem.

The Mustelus hacat lives in the ocean‘s depths feeding on shellfish and shrimp," Perez said, adding: "They have very, very small teeth. They are really not aggressive or dangerous."

<a href="http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=97101054832">New Shark Species Discovered in the Sea of Cortez; 'Mustelus hacat'</a>

Hope the Link opens - didn't when I tried. :?:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 12:10 PM

There was another siting in the Mulege area not long ago. This new breed is over 6 ft in length, was found in the shallows of the river in Mulege. Called the Sea of Cortez Mud Shark it apparently migrates back and forth from the northern Pacific in times of disaster. A most durable breed, it seems to be able to outlast other species of shark by sheer will, indominable spirit, sense of adventure, wreckless abandon.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 01:04 PM

Thanks for info Osprey - interesting!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
There was another siting in the Mulege area not long ago. This new breed is over 6 ft in length, was found in the shallows of the river in Mulege. Called the Sea of Cortez Mud Shark it apparently migrates back and forth from the northern Pacific in times of disaster. A most durable breed, it seems to be able to outlast other species of shark by sheer will, indominable spirit, sense of adventure, wreckless abandon.
;);):saint::saint::P:P;);)
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 01:18 PM
Stop talkin' bout me like that!

:lol::lol::lol:

Merry Xmas George!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 01:34 PM

:P TAKING th P**?? will remember THAT :biggrin:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 02:45 PM
Farasha it's called:

"Getting to know George"

A new fantasy theater inspired by the likes of same.

:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 11:24 AM

Here is the url only... you need to have a space on each side of it

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=971010548...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 11:01 AM

THANK YOU David for taking the time and sorting it out- sometimes I just get annoyed, especially when under time pressure - and then I just give up looking for whats wrong.
I got more patience for people, then for dead stuff as LINKS:biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 07:47 PM

No problem!

Is there an Egyptian History Forum you participate in?

I was in Egypt for 10 days in 1985 and crammed in as much as possible from Giza to Abu Simbel! Fascinating... would love to go back some day!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 12:09 AM

Check U2U David!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.