Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Import duty
SDRonni
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 12-29-2006 at 05:14 PM
Import duty

I have learned that the import duty starts at 42% for items made in any country other than Mexico, US or Canada. I would love to furnish our condo in Rosarito with furniture we can buy here at Costco. Even though there is a Costco in Tijuana, they do not have furniture for sale, and many of their items are made in China. Costco Online does not deliver to Mexico. Heck, if what I am told is true, to have a $1000 new piece of furniture would cost us around $320-380 to bring across, if produced in North America! Since we will be furnishing an entire condo, do any of you have any expertise on this subject as to how we can get around this? It could cost a bunch. We don't want to take old stuff (via a manaje de casa). This will be a second home, and we will have an FM-3. We have heard that "comfort" items, such as mattresses, sofas and chairs, are better purchased in US than Mexico, as the "comfort" quality is so different......We will definitely be able to purchase tables, nightstands, etc. in Mexico, but are concerned about the other items. Any knowledge or expertise out there you can share with me?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 05:31 PM

I ship tons of equipment every month with import/export in SD. They charge me a flat fee of about 30% to get it across the border and truck it down to Cabo. They go by invoice price and you can be a bit creative with the invoice you present. Just don't try to really make it hard to believe. About 25% discount on actual cost is expected and won't raise any eyebrows.

9295 Siempre Viva Road
San Diego 92154
619-671-2324

Word of advice, while I have been doing business with them for years with few if any problems it is advisable if it is your first time to number and photograph each item that will be on the manifest. On the TJ end go over each item with them before you sign anything indicating you took possession. They will expect pesos or dollars on the TJ end.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:40 PM

SDRONNI - your profile doesn't list where in Baja you are nor does your post. The Costco in Ensenada has more and more furniture every week -- but what kind of furniture are you looking for and for where? There are many, many local shops that have several different styles of furniture -- tell us where you are and what style you are looking for! We can help you :bounce:
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 07:56 AM

Our condo will be just north of Rosarito Beach, Mar Y Sol, directly south of the old El Oasis (currently Century) Resort. It may sound silly, but I was hoping to decorate in sort of a Mediterranean style. I like some of the furniture styles at Fausto Polanco, but they are just HUGE and really, really expensive. I would like to decorate with dark woods, cushy leather couch/loveseat/chairs. The cabinetry is alderwood, floors are travertine, granite countertops are brown/cream tones. Not going for a "beachy" (wicker, rattan) look...
Do you know if the furniture at Costco in Ensenada is made in Mexico? Do they have American-made mattresses? I checked with Costco here in San Diego and couldn't get much info. I also e-mailed Costco and had no response.....We don't actually "move in" until October (I know, lots of time), but I like to plan ahead, so I can have the most possible options...
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 08:19 AM

We bought a mattress at a local Loreto mubleria. Same brand as our mattress in Montana, and seems as good a quality. Spring Air brand.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 10:17 AM

W have used a Select Comfort matress for about 8 years now, and wouldn't trade for anything. We purchased another one for our BCC house. You can find them on line.

At the Ensenada COSTCO I saw a great recliner that I SHOULD have bought........maybe next trip in February!!!!

There are several furniture stores in Ensenada that have a wide variety of furniture styles. You should take a day trip and check them out. Located on HWY 1, between town and the COSTCO.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 06:57 PM

SDRONNI - check your U2U. Also, we just moved and have WAY too much furniture for the house. Have some nice stuff we want to sell. Armoires, coffee table, end tables, dining table with chairs, bar stools. U2U me with your email and I can send you some pix. Anyone else interested? All are the mexican rustic style. The dining table 6 1/2 feet long by 3 1/2 feet wide (HUGE) and is made from 2 old doors - very cool looking.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.