Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Latest Info on Repaving to Puertecitos Sought
BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 05:02 AM
Latest Info on Repaving to Puertecitos Sought

Wondering whether the new pavement made it all the way into Puertecitos.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 11:46 AM

Dave, we drove north from Gonzaga after the Baja 1000 last November and new pavement had arrived to the edge of Puertecitos... that lasted a mile then there was 2 miles unpaved... the rest of the way to San Felipe was all paved and good.... So 2 months ago, all but 2 miles were finished.

[Edited on 1-5-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 11:51 AM

Thanks David! I wonder why they left a section incomplete?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 11:59 AM

Rumor has it they are working on that section now.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 12:03 PM

You know, maybe it is a tax thing... like why you see rebar sticking out of the top of buildings in Mexico! If it is never totally finished then the tax remains lower!!:D

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 05:43 PM

It is finished as far as they can go. The last few miles on private land, -the owner is not cooperating, so the road will go around the last section and continue on South. It's wonderful!!! BUT, IT'S NOT A RACE TRACK, PLEASE. We've waited 18 years for this.

Also, just before town, on the left at Caesar's Camp is a little building - Maria's Tacos -- the very best!! If she's not open, just go into the campo and ask around - her house is on far left side - she generally will come and open up. Her speciality is fried beef tacos (Tacos Dorados), but she will make Tostadas, chicken tacos, etc. BYOB -- ENJOY
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja829
It is finished as far as they can go. The last few miles on private land, -the owner is not cooperating...

I believe that "owner" has a history of being recalcitrant. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip on Maria's.

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 07:42 PM
They are working on the final stretch as we speak.

The "Owner" doesn't want the road/highway going right through the center of her/family property. I don't either ! As a tenant I don't want the additional traffic and noise and all the things that the vehicles bring. I am in Puertecitos to enjoy , not to sit and watch a bunch of vehicles go by .

The "owner" has stuck to her guns and appears to be winning .
The contractor is working to finish the last 2 miles and there doesn't seem to be any work or planning at this time to complete the road south of Puertecitos.
Quote:

The last few miles on private land,

The portion in/through Puertecitos is not in miles ,it is about 1/2 mile .

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 09:18 AM

Exactly... It would be cool if that 1/2 mile through Puertecitos was cobblestone... that would have the affect of a slow dirt road and still provide some business opportunity for the few Mexicans who are there to make a living...

That road to the south (albeit just a Jeep trail then) was there before there was a 'Puertecitos'... Not sure how someone can stop progress 'for the public'? They condemn land for government projects all the time...

What about that new Pemex station that has never been open...? If the highway is diverted inland, won't people still be coming into 'town' looking for gas?

If your house is out on the peninsula, putting the highway up on the mountain will probably cause you more noise than if it were left low and level. You ever hear a jake brake on a Mexican truck...? You will if they run the highway up a moutain just to go around that 1/2 mile of private land, I bet.

Best of luck as to what ever happens!

baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 03:58 PM

The "owner" charges people to go across or "into" her property to get to the hot waters, which is her right to do, and basic good business -- but she also closes a gate at night across the road and at times has charged to use the road when you want to visit someone. She refuses to open the gas station, so you need to get extra gas in San Felipe or at Poblado Delicias, about 25 miles South of San Felipe, at Chelo's Cafe. The point is, it's a very short piece of road, but the only way to go further South. If they go around, as they plan to do, small businesses will be hurt and while "we" love our solitude and beauty --townspeople must make a living. - The road further South is scheduled down to Gonzaga -- and will start in the next budget year.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
The "Owner" doesn't want the road/highway going right through the center of her/family property. I don't either !

Beercan, I don't blame you and I'm sure that when the whole project is complete, i.e. all the way to Hwy 1, there will be more traffic. Inevitable.

There is the question of legality. The 'owner' tried to charge some friends of ours 'access' to the hot pools last year, but they refused to pay and went back to the Policia (when the policia were staffing that office) and complained. The officer then accompanied our friends to the pools w/out problem--and no fees.

As I understand it, and god knows I have a plethora of misinformation from Baja, those pools are on public property and access to them cannot be denied legally.

As far as the public derecho de paso, I looked into this a few years ago about a related property matter on the Pacific coast. Mexican law of public egress and ingress is very similar to ours (U.S.), in that if the public has been allowed trespass for a long period of time through a property, then the property owner cannot arbitrarily close off passage.

Of course the operative words are "a long period of time" and it also begs the question of alternatives. It also brings up the "will to enforce" on the part of authorities, whoever that might be.

If the alternative in Puertecitos would be up and over the hill, that might prove problematic. I believe that technically that passage also crosses 'private' land, does it not?

My guess is that nothing will happen anytime soon. Work might begin south of town and simply procrastinate any decision regarding the through-town road.

On the question of the Pemex not opening, does 'C' just refuse to open it or are there some unfinished regulations/rules that need compliance?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 04:54 PM

We used to enjoy the hot springs and buy beers at the cantina... as I am sure others did.

Showed up one time and some kid requested money at the newly installed gate. At the time (after years of going there freely) I was disturbed about that as the springs are in the Federal Zone (between high and low tide lines) and that they would be so petty and hurt cantina sales.

The original owner (Rafael Orozco) was really cool and welcomed visitors... After his death, the seņora changed that hospitality theme, from what I gathered...?

beercan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 05:33 PM
Apparently abunch of misinformation is still floating around

I have been an "owner" since 1982 . I retired a couple of years ago and have been here fairly regularly since that happy occasion.

The "new" Pemex was opened briefly for about one month (one load of fuel) . Why it closed, I can never get a straight story!! It is stated that the only thing holding up the new opening is NEW PUMPS---you will note that all the Pemex stations are installing new pumps.

Economics changed many things in Baja and we haven't escaped that here in Puertecitos either. It wasn't hospitality that changed , it was necessity. The owner has been /is making improvements to the Hot Springs and apparently is within her rights to charge !!!!!!!!!!!!! She has been working with the mexican enviromental people !

Quote:

The original owner (Rafael Orozco) was really cool and welcomed visitors... After his death, the seņora changed that hospitality theme, from what I gathered...?

It never ceases to amaze me of all the misinformation that is posted by folks who do not live here ---This is Mexico and things are still done differently here .

I don't mind answering your questions as best I can. I don't always agree with the owner, but we do have a good relationship and I try and give suggestions when I am asked .

Allen, I don't know who owns that land to the west . I think that it is government ???

As far as townspeople making a living --there is only ONE Business here --a store and most of the others are either fishermen or work for the local North Americans.

Quote:

If they go around, as they plan to do, small businesses will be hurt and while "we" love our solitude and beauty --townspeople must make a living.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 05:38 PM

"It never ceases to amaze me of all the misinformation that is posted by folks who do not live here ---This is Mexico and things are still done differently here ."

Beercan, I ended that statement with: "...from what I gathered...?" Not intended as information. It's only that was what I heard and I was hoping you could (or someone else who lives there) would provide the truth.

beercan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 05:44 PM
No personal attacks are meant !!

I just wanted to state some facts . Almost every post I have read about Puertecitos has been distorted or negative.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 06:03 PM

That's really appreciated... Facts are best! Gracias!!

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 08:17 AM

When I hear all these rumors,I just ASK BOB! :yes::yes:
Since he lives there & uses the Hwy from SF to Puertositas I figure he should know the best answers!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 09:19 AM

meme, Baja Spell Checker says it's PUERTECITOS... :wow: :o :light:
I know he's trying real hard not to yell at anyone!:biggrin::bounce:

doradodan
Nomad

Mood: boracho

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 04:51 PM

I hate paying her to launch my boat, 10 bucks a day to leave a truck/trailer there.

\"The time spent off the water, I\'m thinking of ways to get back in\"
beercan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 08:01 PM
There is no free lunch and Mexico aint cheap anymore .

She is spending alot of money to improve the parking and such.

I pay for it thru my lease and more . So, without telling ya, you know what I am thinking !!

Quote:

I hate paying her to launch my boat, 10 bucks a day to leave a truck/trailer there.
by dan

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.