BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: safest way to carry money?
iclarke

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 12:16 PM
safest way to carry money?

Hi, :?:
I have not travled Baja yet. I have been planning this trip for the past couple of months. What is the safest way to carry cash? Are there banks in major towns? Would a US visa Debit card work at those banks? Are ravelers checks honored at Banks? I would really prefer to not carry wads of cash around, or anything that warrants unwanted attention. I plan on traveling mostly using Bus. I am going to spend most of my time in Mulege and central reigon of Baja. I may look to rent a car a couple of days if I find a good reason.
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 12:22 PM

REALLY GOOD TRAVEL QUESTION
iclarke

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 12:25 PM

thats why I am asking it...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 12:34 PM

Don't carry all your cash in one place... although I have never been robbed in my 40 years of Baja travel, I am still am careful ANYWHERE I travel.

ATM's are in major cities/ towns... but there are places without them you would need money at (like Bahia de los Angeles)... San Quintin or San Felipe is the last ATM in Baja California (Norte) going south. Guerrero Negro has one I understand... never used it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 12:39 PM

I can only speak for the San Felipe area, but forget the travelers checks. Debit cards at ATMs only. Notify your bank that you will be in Mexico. BofA blocks Mexico ATM transactions unless you tell them you're going there. Credit cards at only a few places. SF is mainly a cash only society. I deal only in Pesos when there, drives me nuts though when they give change in half US and half Pesos. As for carrying cash, only keep a few bucks in your pocket, stash the rest and don't be flashing it around. Have a good trip, the Baja is a kick.:coolup:
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
I can only speak for the San Felipe area, but forget the travelers checks. Debit cards at ATMs only. Notify your bank that you will be in Mexico. BofA blocks Mexico ATM transactions unless you tell them you're going there. Credit cards at only a few places. SF is mainly a cash only society. I deal only in Pesos when there, drives me nuts though when they give change in half US and half Pesos. As for carrying cash, only keep a few bucks in your pocket, stash the rest and don't be flashing it around. Have a good trip, the Baja is a kick.:coolup:
Whats the problem with traveler checks. I use Am-express. Never had a problem, except for bank lines:?:
umpqua
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 01:05 PM

Good comment on letting your bank know that you will be using the debit card in Mexico. I called my bank asking if my debit card could be used in Mexico....they said yes but then asked when I was going and coming back. They said that if I hadn't called that they would have tried contacting me to make sure the withdrawal was legit. If they couldn't (and wouldn't) be able to get in touch with me they would have shut off the card which would have delayed my Pacifico purchases. Bummer. Let your bank know!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iclarke
Hi, :?:
I have not travled Baja yet. I have been planning this trip for the past couple of months. What is the safest way to carry cash? Are there banks in major towns?.

I am comfortable carrying cash ($500+ USD) in a money belt. I always have it on while traveling or else it's in my car hidden. My car has an alarm. Some debit cards work some don't. I've had trouble with Wells Fargo who won't do transactions in MX with clearance. Chase (Mileage Plus) said they will clear me and that remains to be seen. Travelers checks: forget it. It's too much of a hassle. (And you probably won't get a good exchange unless you go to a bank. If you've been in a MX bank before, you know it's not something you want to do. If you must, bring a book to read in line.) Have some pesos before crossing the border if you can either from the rip-off US banks, or at the border -- they were out of money last time I went through. I generally get pesos in Ensenada at an ATM. GN has an ATM at the bank at the end of town. I carry money in 3 different pockets. I also have a ''phoney'' wallet with some small bills in it. As far as ''not wanting to attract attention," don't look like a tourist. If you don't pass as a local, that's OK. Dress down. Don't stand out. (Hint: in the capitol of Costa Rica, San Jose, it's downright dangerous to carry a camera on your shoulder.) Carry 2 credit cards and, again, call your bank and tell them you're traveling in MX. Check to make sure they work as soon as you can in Baja. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Eyes in the back of your head works too. If you don't speak Spanish, at least get a ''phrase'' book. There are lots of places where no one speaks Engiish.

Have fun.

:cool:

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by BajaNomad]

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 01:22 PM

When using Mexican ATM machines, remember to type in the amount in PESOS, not dollars. Otherwise you will get only about 10% of the amount you really wanted. :lol: (yes, I have forgotten)

Mexican machines yield PESOS, not dollars, and it is the fastest way to get them, IMHO, and you DO want PESOS.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 01:23 PM

I've been using Wells Fargo debit cards in Baja for about 12 years with never a problem. Bancomer, Banamex and Bital

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 02:38 PM

When out and about I usually only carry what I feel I will need for that day. Other than that my money is usually kept in several nooks and crannies of my camper. I don't put it all in one place.

While it have never been a concern for me in over 30 years (south of Mexicali or Ensenada) of traveling to Baja. When stationed in Olongapo, Phillipines in the early 70's we only took what we planned to spend and I kept it in my front pocket along with my ID card. It is much harder to get into your front pocket than a wallet in back. I also don't wear a watch. Even a 7 year old can slip a finger under the band and snap it off in the blink of an eye at least in the PI. I don't wear one in Baja because it messes up my tan and I don't care what time it is :lol:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
When stationed in Olongapo, Phillipines in the early 70's we only took what we planned to spend and I kept it in my front pocket along with my ID card. :lol:

Now, THERE's a sh*t hole. Don't think Baja can touch Olongapo. Still had a great time though. We'd stop at Subiic for R&R and refueling. My 18 y.o. eyes were opened.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
When stationed in Olongapo, Phillipines in the early 70's we only took what we planned to spend and I kept it in my front pocket along with my ID card. :lol:

Now, THERE's a sh*t hole. Don't think Baja can touch Olongapo. Still had a great time though. We'd stop at Subiic for R&R and refueling. My 18 y.o. eyes were opened.

It's was just TJ with Palm Trees and automatic weapons.:lol:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 06:03 PM

If you think subicbay was a hole in the 70,s i first went there in 57 and it was really bad ,
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbdown.gif posted on 1-5-2007 at 06:36 PM

Ah yes 1957 found me in the armpit of the world also Jimgrms,I was a coxswain of an M-boat at the boat pool,the only thing I liked about that place was the San Migiel beer and the fishing,some times I would take out fishing parties most of the time it was nothing more than a beer bust and guys would end up falling or jumping overboard.

Remember that road into town:no: and the smell:O

Longest 8 months i,ve ever put in,I can smile now.

BAITCAST
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 01:00 AM
Cash

what cash? :rolleyes::smug::cool:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 09:05 AM

)
Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
If you think subicbay was a hole in the 70,s i first went there in 57 and it was really bad ,

I was flying out of Cubi Pt. both before and after martial law. Martial law made a major change in the place (Guns were no longer carried out in the open :lol: )

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about the post-Viet Nam days in Olongapo during the mid-80's. Ice Cream parlors it seems were all the rage :?: Oh well, another Adult Disneyland closes it's doors :lol: I really didn't see much difference between Olongapo of the early 70's or TJ of the 60's.

Ya gotta love painted label San Miguel! Ice cold and 15 cents a bottle.

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by Alan]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.