Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Juan Gabriel
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-7-2007 at 03:20 PM
Juan Gabriel

Do any of you know this guy?
I was watching TV Azteca last night and they had a concert from the Palacio de Belles Artes with Juan Gabriel. My first reaction...oh my a Mexican Liberace...BUT I was wrong. This guys is really talented. If any of the rest of you who live here or get Azteca on your cable(is that even possible) have a chance to see this concert, I highly recommend it.

Since I was watching tv in Baja, I think that it qualifies as a Baja event. There are some advantages to not having cable or satelite...one of them is great programs like this, that I probably would never have seen. We get 3 channels and I listen to the tv a lot in hopes that it will help my Spanish.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 03:28 PM

Hey Judy,
Are you implying that our Liberace didn't have any talent ?:?::?::?:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 03:34 PM

Judy

We have a tape of his from 15 years ago loved his music, you know he is good to have lasted. At about the same time we got tapes from Immanuel (Pobre Diablo) and Miguel Bose (Bandido) all still favorites of us. Juan Gabriel most popular on this tape is Queirida and he"s good looking.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 03:36 PM

Van
Yes:lol:

[Edited on 1-7-2007 by bajajudy]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 04:59 PM

Juan Gabriel is a SuperStar in the Latin world, especially Mexico and downtown Los Angeles, which could be considered the heart of Latin America these days. Tony Bennet doesn't work there. Too bad.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 05:07 PM

His popular nickname is "Juanga" which is both a play on his name and means "lopsided". Yes, he is definitely talented, particularly as a songwriter. He sings his own creations, either mostly or exclusively, and has had many hits. The fact that he is rather "ligero en los huaraches" is common knowledge and doesn't seem to bother anyone, especially his many female fans.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 05:22 PM

OSO ----

Is "huaraches" the traducion for "slippers" ?
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 05:28 PM

about as close as I could come to "loafers":lol:

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:22 PM

He is one of the top three Mexican pop singers, performs with banda and mariachi, and as Oso noted, a major songwriter. Mexican musicians of all genres record his songs. Recently, the great banda singer, Julio Preciado, released an album of all Juan Gabriel compositions, and AB Quintanilla y los Kumbia Kings (
Selena's brother and his group) had a huge hit with "No Tengo Dinero," a Gabriel song.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 09:00 PM

What about Luis Miguel???? Oh, he's not Mexican! But he did just peform a sell out concert in Ensenada the first of Dec! The tickets were MUY CARO! Did anyone go??? I bought a couple CDs on line....muy barrato!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 09:04 PM

Hey BB ---
I assumed Luis Miguel was Mexican, probably 'cause he sings in a foreign language. Where is he from?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 08:46 AM

Juan Gabriel is one of our favorites we have all of his music. If you ever get a chance to go to one of his concerts they are fantastic. he is a great entertainer.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 09:48 AM

Bruce
This concert I saw was fabulous.

BB Luis is Mexican

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 09:56 AM

Luis Miguel was born in Puerto Rico, his mother Italian and father some famous Spanish musician. Luis is a naturalized citizen of Mexico so I guess technically he is now Mexican!

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Hey BB ---
I assumed Luis Miguel was Mexican, probably 'cause he sings in a foreign language. Where is he from?
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 04:21 PM

Hmmmm Juan Gabriel,
Is like the ??? of American idol.. Well I can't think of any parallel to this Guy as far as American talent. As others have pointed out his lyrics are ever so popular. The amazing thing is that he has written hundreds of songs of which many have never even hit the music scene. I am sure once he has left this Earth they will continue to pop out.. He is quite unique in that he has been popular since he was very young, a teen. He comes from Juarez as was a very poor child but made it. His music and his lyrics have thrust many other singers and artists to the top of the charts. Recently the late Rocio Durcal was one of those that rose to stardom because of the songs that Juan Gabriel wrote for her. While in concert, many if not most of the fans always sing-along to his songs.
As far as I know he has never came out of the closet and proclaimed to be homosexual. I used to work as a teen at the Pico Rivera Sports Arena in So Cal and he held many concerts there and naturally I had friends that claimed to have even been with him but it is all rumor? In Mexico and better said Latin America, he is always associated with being Gay but nobody really cares. His life though is full of drama, a couple years ago the Mexican government was after him for tax evasion which had to do with the dirty works of his accountant. I believe he had to work his way out of it. His life is nothing but drama where ever he goes and is but darn he is a awesome singer and performer.
What makes him so famous is that most his music are romantic ballads or songs and they are the type that just never stop being popular, like a "stairway to heaven". Another key thing about his lyrics is that they are always written in a non gender format. So his music can be dedicated from a man to a woman and a woman to a man and man to man or woman to woman. In his lyrics he has a tendency to speak to or about the situations of love. Like "No Vale La Pena" It isn't worth it" No vale la pena corazón, este amor de un rato. Translated is "My heart it isn’t worth the effort, this short term love affair." Well something like that anyway. The point is he talks to his heart and tells it about the struggle with that relationship. You never find out if he wrote it for a woman or a man...
Anyway his lyrics remind me of Jose Alfredo Jimenez which have also raised many to fame including Vicente Fernandez....
Maybe some of the info is outdated but thought you might want to know..

SoCalAl ;)

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 06:59 PM

Juanga and Jose Alfredo?:o

Whoa, talk about apples and oranges... OK, both great talents, but similar????

BTW, why was Rocio always smelling her armpits?:?:

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by Oso]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 07:07 PM

Maybe that's what killed her. I didn't know she was gone.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 08:19 PM

Putting Juan Gabriel on the "American Idol" level????
NOT!!!
For shame!
He is more on the Elvis P level, as far as Mexico is concerned.
And the incredible number of songs he has written, as was noted.... just an amazing talent.
A little side-note, he fell off a stage some months back and was sidelined for a while- all of Mexico held its collective breath until he got back to speed.
"Ligero en los huaraches"
Oso- that is a classic.....
I love to use the English version of that phrase, one of my faves.
And yeah, JG marches (shall we say 'tippy toes') to that drummmer.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.